mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. Question for you fitness gurus

Since I really don't know much about fitness/endurance training, I will try and post this with as much information possible so that you can point me in the right direction!

The long and short of it is I have a mtb vacation coming up in a little less than a month. I don't ride week days anymore (wife is in school, so I have the kiddo until she gets home about 10, and then it is too late to...ah, excuses..). I do get out on the weekend and push some 16 mile rides, which used to be the norm in addition to 5-7 miles 4x week. I still feel strong, and can push only the middle ring up front thru 99% of rides (in the austin area, pretty hilly here).

Recently, I have lost 15+ pounds, despite not riding. I feel great and strong, but...
    On a ride the other day we started with a long grinding climb. By about mile 4, both myself and another gent were cooked - I think we had just depleted all our available energy by pushing too high a gear up the first hill. We both were tired (like sleepy) and out of breath. I had some endurox, that seemed to pick me up thru the rest of the ride- plenty of energy, no cramping, etc. I had eaten cereal, a pb and honey and was plenty hydrated.

Two real questions:
    1. How do I avoid this same fate on my vacation? Is it poor technique in judging my gear selection/endurace? Was it poor food selection or something else?
    2. Is it endurance stamina or the short burst that I need to work on? What should I do before the trip to build stamina? I could fit in some jogging, or perhaps hill repeats with dh tires? Which would be better? I will still get out for some long rides in addition to this.

Thanks in advance, let me know if you need more info!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Youre fine

I think you are stressing out about this too much. You can't increase your training for a vacation 2 weeks away. Maintain and recover for climbs by spinning up them. Pushing a tall gear on a climb wears down your muscle. That will build up too much wastes in your legs. Spin a bit more on the climb,..your heart will work harder, but it recovers faster. Food and fluid every few miles to keep your tank topped off. Mentally, joy knowing your going on a vacation and it's going to be fun no matter how you ride. Your worst day riding beats my best day at Work!
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Endurance training requires more time on the bike. 16 miles/week won't do much good for your endurance. As mentioned, just take it easy and don't try to hang with the really fit guys.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the responses guys. I am not worried at all - I know that I will have a great time and am fully capable of doing some serious techy long rides.
    I was just hoping for some advise on what to do to prep.

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    I think exercise physiology says that it takes a week or two (for a well-trained athlete) to really respond to training. Someone dispute this if I'm wrong...

At this point I wouldn't worry about trying to get better, but instead concentrate on being well rested and healthy going into your vacation. You'll have a hell of time no matter what you do... after all it's a bike vacation, not a bike training camp. Ride at your own pace, stop at some breweries, and just use your time to get super motivated to hit the training hard when you get back.

ps - I live in austin too
    pps - where you headed for your vacation?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Right on.
    Heading to PHX!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Use these last weeks to establish your aerobic threshold, so you know how hard you can go, without, getting stiff and locked up for the next days ride on your vacation.

Members who have read this thread: 0