mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Question on running

I currently only have time to train about 10-13hrs a week...I would like to start running again, but don't want to really hurt my training. If I take 2 or 3 hrs a week and run instead of cycle...what will that do to my biking? I know the recovery is harder for running but will it hurt that much or is it possible it could help as cross training?

Loving Life
    I do it once - twice a week for triathlon training aswell as to strengthen my joints since it's an impact exercise. It won't hurt you're training if you keep it to one a week, just make sure you allow for recovery(maybe your off day the day after your run) and make sure you are still cycling to train for cycling

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    I currently only have time to train about 10-13hrs a week...
    Only 10 - 13 hours a week?

What most of us wouldn't give to have that kind of available time.............

BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was going to ask, why is 10-13 hours an "only"? You should be able to ride up to your potential on that training load and the couple hours of running will be a benefit to your training and overall health. I run a half hour in the morning before my children get up most days and do a workout later in the day. As long as I get to bed early, it's not too much added training stress and seems to be helpful

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Running will be great for general fitness, but as your training progresses, you will likely want to drop it to concentrate on more cycling-specific training.

For now, it is good as part of base training, but come Feb/Mar (depending on your season's planning) the running may be more getting in the way of the cycling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Three 20-30 min runs per week will give you what you're looking for and not detract from your riding too much. By keeping the runs on the shorter side, you'll also reduce recovery. Even after a 30min run, you should be able to ride the next day, might just take an extra 15-20 for your legs to come around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by System
    Three 20-30 min runs per week will give you what you're looking for and not detract from your riding too much. By keeping the runs on the shorter side, you'll also reduce recovery. Even after a 30min run, you should be able to ride the next day, might just take an extra 15-20 for your legs to come around.
    +1

I started riding/training again in March after 10 years off. I finally picked up a road bike over Tgiving weekend, but prior to that most of my training was running due to limited ride time. I was hitting the treadmill for 6-7 miles at a time (usually an hour) 4-5 days a week. Now that I have the road bike, I can ride at night, but takes more recovery time, so I'm cutting back on the running.

Running does wonders for my cardio, but the road bike should be better in the long run and better for the legs than running.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Running is also good for weight control over winter. Since you will be starting running after a break and don't need to prepare for any specific running event, I would start really gradually and spruce up your technique. Check out chirunning.com and/or posetech.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Swimming

Is swimminig benefical cross training for CYCLING and what are the benefits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppy second
    Is swimminig benefical cross training for CYCLING and what are the benefits.
    Definitely. Besides strengthening your core and giving you a better upper body (which most cyclists forget about during the season), it gives you a great aerobic base. One of my favorites for the offseason, if the weather allows it.