mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Question about Polar S725X and intervals

Hi,

I am signing up for a personalized coaching program this month to get ready for the TransRockies next summer and I need a heart rate monitor that can do intervals. I am looking at the Polar S725X, but I would like more information on what its capabilities are in term of intervals. For instance, can one program a full training session with different intervals and recovery time in between, such as a Spinerval dvd? The reason I am asking this is my coach is going to give me full training sessions with different intervals of different length and it would be nice to be able to enter the full session and then just let the HRM do its thing and beep when it needs to.

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond
    Hi,

I am signing up for a personalized coaching program this month to get ready for the TransRockies next summer and I need a heart rate monitor that can do intervals. I am looking at the Polar S725X, but I would like more information on what its capabilities are in term of intervals. For instance, can one program a full training session with different intervals and recovery time in between, such as a Spinerval dvd? The reason I am asking this is my coach is going to give me full training sessions with different intervals of different length and it would be nice to be able to enter the full session and then just let the HRM do its thing and beep when it needs to.

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.
    Yes it can. I use the 720, and it is capable of doing just about everything you can imagine with intervals. I've found its easier to set the intervals up with the Polar software, then download them to the watch but it is possible to set them up on the watch itself.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    No, you can't do what you've asked, and I don't know why Jdub thinks you can. The S725X can only do single stage intervals. You can set warm-up and cool-down target paces, but that's all.
    If you want to do multi-stage intervals, you need the CS600.

I have the S725X, and would like to be able to do my (3+3)x5+(2+2)x5+(1+1)x5 session in a single program, but it doesn't support this.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    No, you can't do what you've asked, and I don't know why Jdub thinks you can. The S725X can only do single stage intervals. You can set warm-up and cool-down target paces, but that's all.
    If you want to do multi-stage intervals, you need the CS600.

I have the S725X, and would like to be able to do my (3+3)x5+(2+2)x5+(1+1)x5 session in a single program, but it doesn't support this.
    Maybe I'm just not understanding...

In the attached image, it shows escalating intervals with no recovery time between them.

You can also set your interval to "work up" to a certain HR. So for instance, if I want to have an interval that goes until I hit a certain HR I can do that as well as a % of Max HR.

I'm using Polar ProTrainer 5, are you? The original poster asked "can one program a full training session with different intervals and recovery time"

I would still stand by my response of yes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I haven't actually seen the screen you've just posted (I'm using PT5) - where is this located? I can't check it out at the moment (work system is a Mac, PT is on my Doze box at home) to confirm anything.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by akashra
    I haven't actually seen the screen you've just posted (I'm using PT5) - where is this located? I can't check it out at the moment (work system is a Mac, PT is on my Doze box at home) to confirm anything.
    Go to the calendar, right click and pick "Plan an excercise - New".
    Then double click on the "Phases" box in the bottom right.

From there you can program in a wide variety of intervals and the like. Everything I've ever wanted to do in intervals I've been able to with the 720.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Go to the calendar, right click and pick "Plan an excercise - New".
    Then double click on the "Phases" box in the bottom right.

From there you can program in a wide variety of intervals and the like. Everything I've ever wanted to do in intervals I've been able to with the 720.
    Hi Jdub,

I got my 725 and it looks like akashra was right. I installed Pro Trainer 5 and created my exercises for this week. I then went into transfer data, only to find out that it didn't transfer my exercises. I checked the manual of PT5 and it says that that feature only works with the CS400 or the CS600. It looks like I am going to have to return the 725 and get the CS400.

If you have managed to transfer the exercises you've created that way to the 720, please let me know how you achieved that.

Thanks a lot.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Hi Jdub,

I got my 725 and it looks like akashra was right. I installed Pro Trainer 5 and created my exercises for this week. I then went into transfer data, only to find out that it didn't transfer my exercises. I checked the manual of PT5 and it says that that feature only works with the CS400 or the CS600. It looks like I am going to have to return the 725 and get the CS400.

If you have managed to transfer the exercises you've created that way to the 720, please let me know how you achieved that.

Thanks a lot.
    I use PC Coach to lay out my intervals, mainly use PT5 to analyze data but I will investigate a little more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I use PC Coach to lay out my intervals, mainly use PT5 to analyze data but I will investigate a little more.
    Please let me know what you find. Thanks a lot.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Ugh! That was one of the questions that I wanted to find out about. Also, how compatible is the S725X with Macs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed
    Ugh! That was one of the questions that I wanted to find out about. Also, how compatible is the S725X with Macs?
    Hi 1 Speed,

I have had my CS400 for a couple of days now and it is much better than the S725X. You can build your exercises on ProTrainer 5 and then just transfer them into the CS400. Once you're done, you can upload the data into ProTrainer 5 for analysis and review. Thanks to the phase option in the exercise, you can build an exercise as complex as you want without any issue.

I hope this helps.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Hi 1 Speed,

I have had my CS400 for a couple of days now and it is much better than the S725X. You can build your exercises on ProTrainer 5 and then just transfer them into the CS400. Once you're done, you can upload the data into ProTrainer 5 for analysis and review. Thanks to the phase option in the exercise, you can build an exercise as complex as you want without any issue.

I hope this helps.
    DBBlackDiamond... thanks for the info. The only problem with that is that I also run (yes, I know) so I need a watch type HR monitor with cycling functions too. Do you know what the "real" difference is between the S625X and the S725X? I can't seem to figure out why the 625 is more expensive and what differs.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed
    DBBlackDiamond... thanks for the info. The only problem with that is that I also run (yes, I know) so I need a watch type HR monitor with cycling functions too. Do you know what the "real" difference is between the S625X and the S725X? I can't seem to figure out why the 625 is more expensive and what differs.

Thanks again.
    Hi,

you and me both then, 'cause I couldn't find any difference between the 625 and the 725. I know that it is very time consuming, but the best way would be to download the manuals from the Polar website and go through each. The one thing I am positive on is that the 625 is not any more compatible with the phase functionality of PT5 than the 725. I went through the PT5 manual and it states that the phases can only be downloaded to either a CS400-600 or one of the RSs.

The equivalent for the CS400 for running is the RS, so if you want that kind of functionality, you might need to buy both.

Please let me know if there is anything you need me to check in PT5.

Thanks a lot.