mtbr member
    Aug 2007

question about number plates vs body #'s

Why do we use number plates rather than tyvec body numbers? They cost more and don't seem any easier to pick, especially if hip and shoulder numbers are used. I was just wondering if there was a good reason or just carryover from moto x days.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden
    Why do we use number plates rather than tyvec body numbers? They cost more and don't seem any easier to pick, especially if hip and shoulder numbers are used. I was just wondering if there was a good reason or just carryover from moto x days.
    Perhaps because unlike 'cross for example (one of your other disciplines), MTB events following UCI rules require that you start and finish on the same bike? You can get mechancial assistance in tech zones now, including swapping parts, but you can't swap bikes altogether. The number plates possibly provide assistance in controlling this. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i guess i'm mostly wondering from an official's standpoint which is easier to pick if using a non-chip system

LA CHÈVRE
    Well here, the number plates are re-used all season long for each race series so they cost more but they're re-used. The body numbers in cross I have used would barely last one race, they're flimsy...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Lusus Naturae
    Also its easier to see the numbers when they are in the front of the bike ... both from scoring and also when you're checking out photos later on. You can actually see who's who if you're checking post-race results and photos.

Overall the body plates are crap.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    On muddy days the officials usually ask us to know our numbers, and I usually call it out as I cross the line each lap (in foul conditions).