mtbr member
    Feb 2006

A question about frequency....

How many hard training days to you do a week. I am currently doing two, and rounding things out with some recovery workouts. I am 44, so recovery is an issue. Is two enough?

Thanks in advance.....

Ruth

mtbr member
    2 sounds about right to me. I always plan to do 2 hard days and steadier days in between but end up going out hard most days.... especially when i'm riding with other people. My 2 planned hard days are 1 day hill reps/intervals and 1 day sustained race pace effort.

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Depends on the time of year. Currently 3 (T/W and Sat). I'm 34 and season not over yet. Winter will be 1,2, or 3 depending on any number of things. Spring 3, maybe 4 if I'm really going nuts with the blocks. That obviously doesn't last long. In general no less than 1 and no more than 3, 4 in very short bursts.

I love Pisgah
    I've found now that I'm older(48), I have a hard time recovering from 3 or more hard days. Usually do Wed and race day(or a long 4+ hour road or epic mtb ride). The rest are recovery or longer steady paced rides. Hell getting old..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy
    2 sounds about right to me. I always plan to do 2 hard days and steadier days in between but end up going out hard most days.... especially when i'm riding with other people. My 2 planned hard days are 1 day hill reps/intervals and 1 day sustained race pace effort.
    That's worked well for me in the past for both road racing and MTB.
    I'll have one day specifically for a long (45 min. - 1.5 hr.) threshold session. HR will average around 165-170 for the workout. Then I'll have a long ride that incorporates my hill repeats or intervals. I may or may not add in another day of long duration temp riding at a comfortably hard pace (~155 HR).

So a typical training week in the season might be:
    Mon: Off the bike - Yoga
    Tues: 2 hrs with 1 hr threshold effort (may be group ride)
    Wed: Easy spin for up to 2 hours
    Thurs: Temp ride of up to 2 hours (may be group ride)
    Friday: Easy spin for less than 1 hour
    Saturday: Endurance Ride with interavals or hill repeats, up to 5 hours
    Sunday: Easy spin for less than 2 hours.

MTB B'dos
    I think two hard days a week is good. I'm 37 (ouch, turned that yesterday) and I have now settled on a Sat, Sun, Tues, Wed, Thurs training week w/ Mon & Friday off completely.

Sat is normally a long (5+hour/75-100 mile) early morning road ride at Endurance pace with some hard efforts usually on hills thrown in and then an "easyish recovery" off-road afternoon 3 hour ride. Sun is normally easy with my Bros to encourage them to keep at it. Tues is off-road easy/enjoyment ride. Wed is usually a hard paced longish (2-3 hour) road ride at or above Aerobic effort. Thurs is also off-road more Endurance pace with some efforts in there.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0