mtbr member
    Jan 2004

QUARK PowerMeter...October

Hi guys.

After checking this: SRAM Powers Up Quarq Power Meter Mountain Bike Crankset - Bike Rumor

What do you think will be the price for it?

Any "industry insight" is welcome!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Before switching to a Power Tap, I had one with a Garmin 800 on my Felt F1. Paid about $2400 for the Quarq

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'd love to get one pending price...

SS XC Junkie
    I have a Quarq on my Rotor 3d mtn bike cranks. I can only run it SS or 1x9/10. It works great and best of all I can swap wheels on the fly and still have power. Price wise, I'd imagine it'll probably be in the neighborhood of $2k. Typical Quarq Cinco is $1400 plus the price of the cranks. A bigger issue is the wait/lead times. There are a LOT of people in line waiting for 2x10 power enabled mtn cranks!

I used a compact spider (110bcd) to get this on my cranks (all performed and calibrated by Quarq.) They didn't have a mtn bike version of their power meters available at the time when I got mine. They were working on this and I believe had a prototype at Interbike. Anyhow, if you go the way I did the smallest ring you can run is a 34.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about all the 2x10 Quarq (I mean SRAM) enabled drive trains!

EDIT
    My reply is worthless without pics so here ya go!!!

Running SS
    QUARK PowerMeter...October-quarq2.jpg

Running 1x9 (Notice you do need the chain keeper)
    Name:  quarq.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  46.3 KB
    Last edited by dontheclysdale; 09-01-2011 at 06:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am waiting for Garmin's pedal power meter. Road is out next Spring and I would think MTB is not too far behind.

FasCat Coaching
    I'm definitely looking forward to this unit, so far it looks good and glad they have finally brought it to the market.

Few concerns though --- at the moment it's not on a single bike anywhere? typically you'll see some of this stuff being ridden by the pros or at least a few testers and released in photos. I have the same photo of this crank from interbike 2 years ago for the mtb. My fingers are crossed and rooting for one for sure...
    --Second, hopefully they beefed up the plastic battery cover and area. I've seen lots of road bikes crack the plastic battery cover JRA'ing, mtb is a bit rougher and chain drops are far more common, dropping a chain to the outside and continuing to pedal (at least I do) to return the chain, will it cause any damage??

For those waiting for the garmin, on your pedals?? few things on that one: Still unreleased for any market, accuracy is unproven... Pedal strikes, pedal strikes, pedal strikes! Last thing I want is $1800 piece of equipment destroyed after 1 ride because you clipped a rock. I don't actually see garmin even remotely interested in brining it to the mtb side due to trying to figure out the engineering on that side and licensing a mtb pedal.

I'll give quarq some time, but if they don't' come up with something I'll be knocking on SRM's door.
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9 View Post
    I'm definitely looking forward to this unit, so far it looks good and glad they have finally brought it to the market.

Few concerns though --- at the moment it's not on a single bike anywhere? typically you'll see some of this stuff being ridden by the pros or at least a few testers and released in photos. I have the same photo of this crank from interbike 2 years ago for the mtb. My fingers are crossed and rooting for one for sure...
    --Second, hopefully they beefed up the plastic battery cover and area. I've seen lots of road bikes crack the plastic battery cover JRA'ing, mtb is a bit rougher and chain drops are far more common, dropping a chain to the outside and continuing to pedal (at least I do) to return the chain, will it cause any damage??

For those waiting for the garmin, on your pedals?? few things on that one: Still unreleased for any market, accuracy is unproven... Pedal strikes, pedal strikes, pedal strikes! Last thing I want is $1800 piece of equipment destroyed after 1 ride because you clipped a rock. I don't actually see garmin even remotely interested in brining it to the mtb side due to trying to figure out the engineering on that side and licensing a mtb pedal.

I'll give quarq some time, but if they don't' come up with something I'll be knocking on SRM's door.
    Kulhavy is and has been using the quarq on his mtb

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by rgkicksbutt View Post
    Kulhavy is and has been using the quarq on his mtb
    He's not using it for any world cup races? I can't even find a photo of him using a regular computer on his bars anywhere... Theres a few guys out there using SRM but most of the top 10 WC guys are still weight weenies so haven't seen them use em I'm world cup races yet
    FasCat Coaching

mtbr member
    Hey J, Kelly Emmett had one on hers at Winter Park this last weekend. I got a little bit of a look at it and looks nice. Also, if you watch the new Specialized video (iamspecialized.com) from Val Di Sole; in the last 10 seconds of the video you can see a Quarq mounted on an Sworks crank sitting on a box in the background. I might be picking one up from you too ;0)

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy0 View Post
    Hey J, Kelly Emmett had one on hers at Winter Park this last weekend. I got a little bit of a look at it and looks nice. Also, if you watch the new Specialized video (iamspecialized.com) from Val Di Sole; in the last 10 seconds of the video you can see a Quarq mounted on an Sworks crank sitting on a box in the background. I might be picking one up from you too ;0)
    Awesome, that's what I was waiting to hear & see it out in the wild. Once it makes it there, it's coming for sure. I want it to be out there as much as anyone, but been bitten too many times
    FasCat Coaching