Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Quality Iusses With Eggbeaters? What to switch to?

2nd pair have failed within a year (pedal body slides right off spindle). I don't enjoy walking back to my car. I know they have a 5-year warranty so I can get them fixed, but I may promptly sell the new ones on Ebay. I just don't trust them anymore.

Anybody else have this issue? My older pair lasted 5+ years with zero issues. I bought the new design ones last year and the problems started. Really chaps my ass.

I haven't researched pedals in so long cause I loved eggbeaters. Now I have no idea what to use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you like the Eggbeater mechanism, try Time pedals. Just be aware that the lightest carbon-body models may not appreciate rock bashing. I ride the cheaper versions and have had no problems.

mtbr member
    I Use Shimano XTR's, right now chainreactioncycles.com has them for $112 free shipping, $279 regular I think, and XT's for $66 and $10 shipping, normally $150. Not as light as eggbeaters but they can take a beating

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's time for Time pedals. Similar mechanism as the Eggbeaters, in a far more durable package. They're one of those rare bike parts like King headsets which just plain work and get moved from bike to bike over the years. I've been using them for 15 years and the ones I have on my bikes right now are over 10 years old and still working well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 on shimano xt's. I know it was probably a bad coincidence, but the only pedal I ever seen come apart during riding (it was during race) was a time - no idea what model it was. Guy was just pedaling hard and pedal just came apart in pieces

mtbr member

Re: Quality Iusses With Eggbeaters? What to switch to?

Which version did you buy of the eggbeater.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    +1 on SPD's. My XTR's are 4+ YO and I've had zero issues. Just swap from bike to bike as you upgrade. The pedals are light enough for XC racing and will last forever!

AZ
    banned
    XT's. Never any issues.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Another vote for Time. If you like the mechanism of the Eggbeaters and you like the "play" afforded by it then Time is the only other option. I've been riding Time pedals since the mid 90's with no issues. Shimano makes a great pedal as well, but it's a different design that affords less float and requires a slightly more precise foot placement for engagement (not that it's a big deal).
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

VIP
    Jun 2006
    I used Eggbeaters, had all sorts of terrible problems too, love the weight though. Tried Time, got fed up with the pedal slop (marketing nonsense calls it "float").
    Moving to Shimano XT was the best choice I ever made, I'll never go back to sloppy pedals - my knees thank me every day. The only way I'd like the XT pedal more is if you could adjust the float down to even less, but meh... can't have everything.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had the same issue with the egg-beater pedals. Way out in the back country when the pedal came right off the spindle. I immediately took them off and went to the XT pedals. I liked the ease of use of the egg-beater and ability to clip even in mud, but I won't trust them again.

I'd rather be riding
    Another xt user here. The new look pedals seem nice, but would require switching all my bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I went through a similar process a few years ago. I ended up with XTRs but really disliked them. Now I'm back on the egg beaters in spite of the lack of durability.

mtbr member
    I tried the eggbeaters for the weight loss after years of use with the Time Atac Alium. I ride in Colorado, lots of rock, and pedal strikes; the eggbeaters lasted 2 or 3 rides and the spindle bent beyond practical usage. I went back to Time, but upgraded to the Atac XS line and no worries. Same trails, same random strikes, and the Time's keep on ticking. A weight penalty but I'm out on the trails.

mtbr member
    Both failed pedals were eggbeater 3's. My old candy SL are still going strong in my cx bike (after years of cx racing).

XT (SPD) are extremely reliable. My gym has spds on the spin bikes and don't really ever hear of issues. But damn they are heavy. It appears time pedals altered their design a bit. Nervous about switching to a new designed pedal. Maybe it's been out awhile.

mtbr member
    Link below is a pic of the pedal. I didn't include in thread because it's a huge picture and didn'thave any way to crop on my iphone.

http://www.guppiesworld.com/wp-conte...11/photo-3.jpg

mtbr member
    another vote for XT's. They are bulletproof. But for icy snowy CX races, they are not the greatest. Putting some Anti Ice spray on the pedals seems to help a lot though.

I had a pair of Shimano 747s since 1998. I had to finally retire them last year after the shop said they couldn't rebuild them. :-(
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member

From the current Shimano SPD pedals M540 pedals are the ones to get. The reason being that they're still based on the old bearing design which had good reliability.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte..._mountain.html

The newer Shimano SPD pedal design (XTR M980 Race, XTR M985 Trail, XT M780 Race, XT M785 Trail) is nowhere near as good and seems more prone to bearing issues. I went through several sets of warrantied new style XTR pedals in 2011 and 2012 before giving up on them.

The M540 pedal bearings in contrast are still as good as new.

XCdude
    I was a hardcore CB user, we had 5 bikes with them, But about 4-5 ago they went to the crapper. They warranty the stuff, but I just don't want to deal with it. Last warranty pair I sold them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    The newer Shimano SPD pedal design (XTR M980 Race, XTR M985 Trail, XT M780 Race, XT M785 Trail) is nowhere near as good and seems more prone to bearing issues. I went through several sets of warrantied new style XTR pedals in 2011 and 2012 before giving up on them.

The M540 pedal bearings in contrast are still as good as new.
    I have M980's since the beginning of this summer. So far so good. Put over 1500km on them so far and they seem to be fine. If what I read was correct it was on only the 2011,2012 M980's etc. And never heard anything bad about the XT's only the XTR's

mtbr member

Here's a thread about the XTR pedals for anyone who's interested.

XTR Trail pedal failure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Here's a thread about the XTR pedals for anyone who's interested.
    Posted in 2011

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Time because that is what eggbeaters are copied from. I have been running one version of the atac carbons for 15+ years. I tried eggbeaters 3 years ago and broke them within 2 months.

If you want float and mud clearing go with Time pedals.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    Posted in 2011
    STARTED in 2011 with more than 130 posts, activity as recent as a month ago...
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member

Re: Quality Iusses With Eggbeaters? What to switch to?

Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    STARTED in 2011 with more than 130 posts, activity as recent as a month ago...
    My bad sorry

Sent from my SGH-S730M using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast