mtbr member
    May 2008

Qualifying for USA Cycling MTB National Championships?

I've read the qualification guidelines for the USA Cycling MTB National Championships and I need some clarification. Can someone give me the lowdown on how one can qualify. For example, if there is a USAC sanctioned state championship event in my state and I were to enter the "sport" category and finish in the top-15 would I qualify for Cat 2/3 (not sure which one) at Nationals? The last sentence is confusing...what if my state championship is in October, do I qualify for the following year's race?

Here's the excerpt from the USA cycling site

"USAC-MTB State or Regional Championship Series or USA Cycling Mountain Bike State or Regional Championship Event (one-day)

The top-15 overall riders in each discipline, class, and category offered at the USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championship and offered at a USA Cycling Mountain Bike State or Regional Championship event (whether a one-day or series event) will be eligible to compete at the 2010 National Mountain Bike Championship. If the USA Cycling Mountain Bike State or Regional Championship series is not finalized by the qualification deadline, the overall (first place) USA Cycling Mountain Bike State or Regional Champions will automatically be qualified to compete in the 2010 US National Mountain Bike Championships."

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sport and beginner...or cat 2 and 3...are not championship classes.
    So there is usually no qualifying( at least that is the way it has been)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I believe the last qualifying event for this year's (2010) Nationals was (I believe) the Carmichael International race last weekend in Colorado Springs. If your state race is in October and requires qualifying, and you did qualify, it would be for 2011. USAC's site also has the list of people who have qualified and the event that qualified them.

I don't know if Cat 2/3 requires qualification or not. I know that Cat 1 does, and Pro does not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    hahaha... i am probably the only handicapped person on the cat1 35-39 qualifiers list (wasn't handicapped when i qual'd... booooo!)

Members who have read this thread: 1