mtbr member

Quads failing/cramping before all other groups - move saddle forward?

I know - something's got to go first. It used to be my calves. Moving the cleats back a couple millimeters cured that. Now (for the past couple years) it's my quads.

I was fitted on the bike so I know I'm in range - and possibly optimized. But, I want to experiment a bit... I've recorded all the fit info, and want to try moving the saddle forward (and up the corresponding amount) a couple millimeters, and see what, if anything changes.

Do I have that right - move the saddle forward to engage the quads less?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

AZ
    banned
    Move it rearward to engage the glutes and hams more. You will have lo lower the saddle incrementally at the same time.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It might be a fit issue, or it might be a technique issue.

Typically if you are overloading your legs it means that you are pedaling at a low cadence. Make sure you are keeping your cadence up while climbing (70-90 rpm) would be normal for mountain biking.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I race cat 1 mtb. AKA...I need to train a bunch to hang in there. Still, I cramp here and there...usually quads too. It sucks! Feels like I am getting tasered by an upset race spectator or something.. Every time I complain about cramping to friends, they just tell me to train harder. I think they have a point unfortunately. Argh.

While an ill fitting bike may lead to over stressed muscles, I do believe now that it is often a fitness vs stess issue. The more you intend to stress those quads, the fitter you need to be to avoid cramps.

Also, make sure you are hydrated and consuming proper electrolytes. Duh right? Often overlooked and as we age, our bodies demand new things.

When I was 20, I could sprint through the Sahara for 10 miles without water and still have no idea what "cramping" is...haha.

mtbr member
    I agree with rydbyk. Cramps are generally related to fitness and effort/stress.

Sure you can try spinning more, but if you ride/race a singlespeed, BACK TO THE FITNESS THING for you!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Oh, I get that cramping is a product of fitness or the relative lack thereof. I don't think it's food/hydration/sodium/electrolyte related nearly to the degree of fitness.

My question is simply how to "balance" the quads vs. ham/glute engagement. If my quads always fail/cramp before any other muscle group, I have to think - if I had been able to call on those other muscles a bit more... But again, I also understand that something has to go first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would look in to strength training. More specifically being muscle imbalance. i.e. Your quad is doing the job of another weak or over used muscle. Weak or over used supporting muscle groups are the cause of most pain and injury in cycling (outside of crashing) See Tom Danielsons book Core Advantage or Bike James's webpage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    I would look in to strength training. More specifically being muscle imbalance. i.e. Your quad is doing the job of another weak or over used muscle.
    You mean maybe the hamstring that I tore (pulled) last year in a road race crash, spent 4 months off the bike, 2 months in PT... So maybe the quad is picking up the slack for that one? Hmmm... Damn. I may have to actually do some specific training on the hams...