mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Pump up the base - trainer program

Anyone use the Lee likes bikes Pump up the base training program?

Lee Likes Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Curious too...

AZ
    banned
    I'm going to order this tonight, stay tuned.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'm going to order this tonight, stay tuned.
    Looks like the debate on Zone 2 base vs. high intensity interval training should crop up with regard to this program.

The author's words in the comment section of the OP's linked site:

Iím using the word base in the sense of a foundation. This program (which I suppose could be considered HIIT) will form a base that will allow you to ride harder, longer.

For guys like me who have no time or patience for Zone 2 rides, HIIT is a great way to build a solid foundation. From there we can ride trail, rip DH, rock pump tracks, race slalom or do whatever we want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    How many trainer sessions a week and time per session does the program require?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Looks like the debate on Zone 2 base vs. high intensity interval training should crop up with regard to this program.

Iím using the word base in the sense of a foundation. This program (which I suppose could be considered HIIT) will form a base that will allow you to ride harder, longer.

For guys like me who have no time or patience for Zone 2 rides, HIIT is a great way to build a solid foundation. From there we can ride trail, rip DH, rock pump tracks, race slalom or do whatever we want.

Nailed it. Save your money and Google "Sweet Spot Training" imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post

It's because you can't make money selling Zone 2 base.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Nailed it. Save your money and Google "Sweet Spot Training" imo.
    I take it you had time to look it over?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    I take it you had time to look it over?

I am still delving into it but this is as far removed from zone 2 base as one can get. Not recommended for newbs imo, would be great on top of years of base. Somewhat reminisce of Carmichael. Not condemning this, just think that there is a distinct possibility that people might be mislead by the title. My two cents.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    It's because you can't make money selling Zone 2 base.
    You also forgot to add that any sane person doesn't want to spend 12 hours a week on a trainer. Sweet Spot gets you a ton of benefit in far less time, which makes it great for trainer work. I'd rather not race than spend 3 hours on a trainer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So I guess the summary is for someone who has been riding for quite a while its a good option if you have limited time or don't want to spend 12 hrs a week riding on the trainer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hunter Allens 2012 book Cutting Edge Cycling has chapter comparing HIT, Med intensity and Low intensity training.

Q&A with Martin Gibala on HIT:"
    "The most effective protocols were 12 intervals of 30s @ a very high intensity equivalent to 175% of VO2 max w/ 4.5m recovery, OR 8 intervals of 4m @ 85% of VO2 max with 1.5m of recovery between repeats"

Giant Anthem
    I've used this book to plan my last couple seasons-its similar to mt bikers bible but easier to put a plan together with. There are 8 detailed periodization plans in it. Typical base plans do include lower intensities, but you need this type of training for XC racing, no question. The biggest revelation I had regarding my bike training was 3 years ago when I followed a base plan with lower intensities (not too low), but yes some zone 2. That spring my legs felt very strong through each race because of the endurance effect it had. Before I would interval myself to death which worked ok for beginner class races lasting about an hour.

Training Plans for Cyclists: Gale Bernhardt: 9781934030189: Amazon.com: Books
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/