mtbr member
    Jul 2006

protein = smelly cloudy urine?

Ok I have recently started drinking muscle milk each day and eating more protein rich maels to try to add some weight. I have noticed that since I started doing this I have been farting like crazy, my urine smells and is cloudy, and my body odor is MUCH more pungent. Are these all normal "side effects" of drinking protein shakes and drinks? If so is there anything else I can do. I am drinking lots of water and I am 6ft and weight 150lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    go to a doctor.

Addicted to Dirt
    You may be taking too much protein which can lead to gas. Also all additives, crappy protein etc... in your protein drink may be a factor. Since I switched to 100% whey protein isolate my digestive system is doing much better.

mtbr member
    change in urine consistency, and in BO are classic signs that your liver can't handle your protein intake. From experience, whey protein doesn't sit well with me, in general and leads to upset stomach and gas - I don't know if I'm unique in that regard, I handly soy protein much better.

If you insurance will cover it, I'd highly recommend talking to a nutritionist rather than self-diagnosing. There are a lot of common mistakes, high % protein is one of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ditch the muscle milk and heavy protein diet. If you want to put on weight, add more healthy carbs (whole grains, fruits, vegetables), good fats (olive oil, canola oil), and lean proteins...real food is better than the supplements for most people. Keep up the water drinking, too!
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sounds like a classic sign of proteinuria.

Sounds like you're taking in a lot of protein and your body isn't absorbing it.

Advice? Eat a more balanced diet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    And for what it's worth, I wouldn't go see a doctor for that.

ben

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Compress
    And for what it's worth, I wouldn't go see a doctor for that.

ben

Maybe you wouldn't see a doctor for proteinuria but I would. Don't want to scare you but there are a number of causes that can lead to nephrotic syndrome and ultimately renal failure. Proteinuria is just one of the symptoms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fit24hrs
    Maybe you wouldn't see a doctor for proteinuria but I would. Don't want to scare you but there are a number of causes that can lead to nephrotic syndrome and ultimately renal failure. Proteinuria is just one of the symptoms.
    You're exactly right. Proteinuria is associated with declining kidney function.

Go to the doctor and give a urine sample.

Sweep the leg!
    As someone who use to look at urine under a microscope for a living I have 4 words for you.

Go see a doctor. You really don't want to suffer from kidney disease. What you have may be unrelated to your diet or it could be aggrevated by your increased protein consumption.

Just curious, how do you know your urine is cloudy? Are you looking at fresh urine? Did you let it sit for a time or put it in a refridgerator?

If your kidney's nephrons are allowing large molecules such as proteins through you'll have other issues. While some albumin and other alpha 1 & 2 globulins are normal in a healthy person's urine, excess proteins, especially serum proteins are indicators of nephrosis. It could be as simple as a standard first morning void combined with a midday collection for your diagnosis. If you go see a doctor, or a urologist, you'll more than likely collect a 24 hour urine for protein electrophoresis. But I'm putting the cart before the horse.

Go see a doctor.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Trying a little
    try not drinking muscle milk for 3 days, then if you are still farting up a storm go see a doctor

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dady
    Ok I have recently started drinking muscle milk each day and eating more protein rich maels to try to add some weight. I have noticed that since I started doing this I have been farting like crazy, my urine smells and is cloudy, and my body odor is MUCH more pungent. Are these all normal "side effects" of drinking protein shakes and drinks? If so is there anything else I can do. I am drinking lots of water and I am 6ft and weight 150lbs.

Actually sounds pretty common to me,everytime i drink a protein shake it happens.
    I went ot a fitness seminar where the fitness guru said that increased protein would give you gas and urine coloration but never said it was a health issue.
    That said......i've also heard from reliable sources that added protein is unnecessary when you already have good eating habits.
    I only use protein after extreme activity.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    try not drinking muscle milk for 3 days, then if you are still farting up a storm go see a doctor

Farting won't kill you, others maybe. Renal damage is the question I would like to have answered.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    too much protein can be bad for the kidneys. i would go to a doc and have some blood and kidney work done just to make sure everything is in order. my wife has had major kidney problems so i would recommend not playing around with your bodies filters.

Tribe of one
    Asparagus - more specifically methylmercaptan or asparagine. I didn't see any ingredients listed for Cytosport's website for Muscle Milk but they must be using some natural derivative to provide the stated amino acids.

I also read somewhere that the smell in your urine after eating asparagus might also indicate dehydration. Dark yellow or amber urine is a symptom of severe dehydration. Just a guess.

Why does my urine smell funny after consuming asparagus?
    Most authorities feel that the compound that causes the odor in urine after consumption of asparagus is methylmercaptan, which is a sulfur-containing derivative of the amino acid, methionine. This is disputed by a few individuals who claim that the odiferous compound is asparagine-amino-succinic-acid monoamide, which is derived from the amino acid, asparagine. In either case, the product is formed as a derivative during the digestion and subsequent breakdown of beneficial amino acids that occur naturally in asparagus.
    Ref: Merck Index, 862; Food Chemistry, Belitz and Grosch, pg. 271.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Before I heard about asparagus, when urinating I thought I had some horrible disease.

Some people have the enzyme that breaks down asparagus, a lot of us don't. So for the rest of us, you will notice a very unique odor when urinating. This happens almost immediately after eating it.

What a relief when I found out it was normal, lmao.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Probably no need to go running off to the emergency room just yet. Ingested protein commonly has a number of fates, 1 it is incorporated into structural protein e.g. muscle tissue, 2, incorporation into enzymes and hormones, 3 broken down into energy substrates. What most endurance athletes don't realize is that, of the large boluses of protein taken after exercise, a large amount of it is broken down into energy substrate. To use protein for energy, the body must first remove an amine group from the amino acid. This nitrogen based group is then converted to amonia and excreted through body fluids e.g. sweat and urine, which can cause the pungent odor. This isn't a problem in the short term, but long term use of high protein diets can have detrimental effects on internal organs.

Try laying off the muscle milk and seeing if the condition subsides. If it continues, then you may want to see your physician.

Dave Morris

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for all yalls replies. I am kinda new to this board and it looks like I can learn a lot from you guys.

"Just curious, how do you know your urine is cloudy? Are you looking at fresh urine? Did you let it sit for a time or put it in a refridgerator?"

I am just noticing when I pee in the toilet sitting down you can see the water turn from clear to very cloudy as I urintate, much more than a "color change". Standing up isnt as easy to see since the water is sloshing around a lot more. Not very scientific but thats how I know.

A friend said its no big deal and that it is the excess protein in my system turning cloudy when it hits the cooler water in the toilet and that in my body it isnt cloudy.

I think I am going to go see a doc. while I still have ins. just to make sure. I did take a "break" from drinking so much muscle milk since my post and my gas and smelly piss DID get better. I just dont understand why everyone else that takes muscle milk or other high protein shakes can process/absorb it better than I. So thats why I am going to go see a doc. Not sure what they can do to help fix me but it may lead to some answers.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You are what you eat!

MTB B'dos
    Hey Dady, different people digest different foods, well Differently it's pretty much as simple as that. I always warn my family when they have a big family gathering and serve Broccolli, you don't want to be around me most times after I've eaten it. Milk in great quantities also can cause this effect for me.

Know this though, your urine should not really smell if you are hydrated enough and well - in very healthy people it should be almost clear and no smell * my Doc always tell me I have perfect urine

If it smells it is normally an indication that you haven't been drinking enough water and/or your body was over exerted during exercise and had to resort to using itself (muscle, concentrated protein) to feed itself and/or you could be coming down with something and it's the excrement that your body is putting out from fighting the infection/germ.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    One of the first thing my patients report with begining stages of renal failure is that their urine foams massively when they pee into the toilet. Not just a little but a LOT (think beer). This is due to the presence of the protein albumin (just like beaten egg whites) as is spills out of the kidneys.

I have personally experienced a variety of urine changes, the largest being from high sodium intake (pee smells like chicken soup) or from high sugar intake (simply coudy).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great points. Thanks.