Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Problems with my weight.

I've always had a race weight around 170. Last April I got down to 165. In August and September I started slowly gaining weight and got up to 188 by December. I got lazy with my eating, and started racing cross so I figured that the extra beer I was drinking had something to do with it. I also started back with my weight program in October, so I figured that could have been part of it. But now, it's the middle of march... I've been eating great, tracking calories, training 6 days a week doing alot of volume during my base period and I'm still 183. I stared eating good during the first week of January and have only had a few days where I over ate. Am I missing something?? Any one have any advice to help me get my weight down?

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Paleo Diet works pretty well. Hard to be really strict Paleo but "heavily Paleo influenced" is pretty good. Cut out the beer?

Larry

mtbr member
    If you've been tracking calories have you been keeping a detailed food diary, such as on Myfitnesspal.com?

Have you been keeping a training diary of your riding also?

If you have both then I'd take a look back through and see what you were doing over the last few months. One thing that's really easy to do is to assume that because you're doing more volume riding you should push up your calorie intake significantly to compensate. Even though you're doing more riding the increase in food means you don't actually lose any weight, something I've been guilty of regularly in the past.

The other thing is that your estimates of calories burnt whilst riding could be too high, or your estimates of calories eaten could be too low. If you're estimating calories burnt whilst riding using a heart rate monitor, the calories burnt figure calculated by the heart rate monitor will often be on the high side. If you then try to match that with food intake you can end up over eating, or still eating enough that you don't lose weight.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by k6monster View Post
    I've always had a race weight around 170. Last April I got down to 165. In August and September I started slowly gaining weight and got up to 188 by December. I got lazy with my eating, and started racing cross so I figured that the extra beer I was drinking had something to do with it. I also started back with my weight program in October, so I figured that could have been part of it. But now, it's the middle of march... I've been eating great, tracking calories, training 6 days a week doing alot of volume during my base period and I'm still 183. I stared eating good during the first week of January and have only had a few days where I over ate. Am I missing something?? Any one have any advice to help me get my weight down?
    Caveat: I'm with you. I usually pack on about 7 - 10 pounds in the "off season". This year was about 10 and I've knocked off 6 of them so far with 4 more to go.

23 pounds - that's a pretty decent weight gain you had from 165 to 188 in just 8 months time which means you increased your body weight by 14%. There's a good chance that it would take about 8 months to lose that much as well, so be patient. Even if you were running a 500 calories per day deficit than your total calorie needs, expect it to take a good 23 weeks (5 3/4 months) if you were able to actually lose a pound a week. Longer if you are losing less than a pound per week.

I say one pound per week since a pound a week is a good healthy guideline to shoot for when it comes to trimming the amount of weight you are trying to lose. It has only been 2 1/2 months and you've already lost 5 pounds. That's good, but it shows that your daily deficit is not quite enough to shed a pound per week, so you're simply going to have to eat less/drink less calories than you are if you want to trim down for the 2013 race season. You won't starve by losing a pound per week.

I assume you have a scale. Get on it religiously every morning and let the scale dictate your daily intake - one day at a time.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 03-15-2013 at 07:15 PM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've always had a hard time with my weight. Even when I was racing full time and putting in an insane amount of miles I struggled to get under 175 (at 6' tall). Part of it is I'm not built like a bike racer - I'm broad shouldered and chested, I get big muscular legs. I would have been a great track racer but instead I've raced in an area where you need to be a skinny little climber.

The other part is controlling my cravings. Part of that is pure calories in and out, once I start getting close to 10% body fat my cravings start talking really loud . Even worse, I have a sweet tooth and cutting out all things sugary helps a lot although it takes a fair amount of will power.

I don't know that the "paleo" diet or any of the other (fill in the blank) diets are what you need, just be disciplined with what and how much you eat. Stay with whole foods, stay away from processed foods. Only eat high glycemic foods during exercise when you're going to burn the calories quickly. I used to eat energy bars as snacks and that really messed with my weight.

As others have said, make sure you're doing a good job tracking calories in and out which takes some effort. Unless you want to spend the big bucks, calories out is particularly hard to determine accurately since there are so many variables.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    One other thing I should add. When you eat is important. Right after exercise is prime time for refueling. After that, cut way back on calories.

Larry

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lgh View Post
    Paleo Diet works pretty well. Hard to be really strict Paleo but "heavily Paleo influenced" is pretty good. Cut out the beer?

Larry
    +1 on Paleo. Paleo not a 'diet' - more of a lifestyle.
    The Paleo Diet for Athletes: The Ancient Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance: Loren Cordain, Joe Friel: 9781609619176: Amazon.com: Books

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by lgh View Post

Larry
    Paleo for a competitive endurance athlete? Good luck training at a high intensity level on a low carb diet.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    Did you lift weights in the off season?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Problems with my weight.

I'm going to try the paleo diet again. I lost alot of weight 2 years ago doing it, but I got the flu and didn't feel like eating "paleo" while I was sick, and never went back to it. I included rice into my meals when I did it, for extra carbs. I quit drinking beer, and when keeping track of calories, I'm taking 10% off of whatever my garmin tells me for calories burned. I'll see what happens....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Problems with my weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Did you lift weights in the off season?
    Yes... This is my last week doing a weight routine for awhile.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Paleo for a competitive endurance athlete? Good luck training at a high intensity level on a low carb diet.
    I have been on the Paleo diet for almost 1.5 years now and I feel great and it is much easier to control my weight.

As for training at a high level... I podium in my Cat 1 races and bonk much less than I did when eating grains and sugars, etc. I also don't eat nearly as much while ON the bike. Not to mention I feel much better daily without sugar/carb crashes.

mtbr member
    I quit drinking beer, and when keeping track of calories, I'm taking 10% off of whatever my garmin tells me for calories burned. I'll see what happens....
    What sort of calories burnt figures is your Garmin producing on typical rides?

Calories burnt from a heart rate monitor can over read by a lot more than 10%. The picture below shows two rides on the same route that I did one year apart. One was recorded with a Polar RS800CX heart rate monitor, whilst the other was recorded with my Powertap. Same rider, same route, same time trial format, same bike, similar average heart rate (159bpm 21 August 2010, 156bpm 02 July 2011) and similar ride times, although I was quicker in 2011.

The Polar RS800CX heart rate monitor estimates calories burnt from heart rate, the user details entered in the watch and exercise duration. The Powertap hub records the actual mechanical work performed in kilojoules. As a general assumption you can roughly say that one kilojoule recorded by the Powertap = 1 kilocalorie burnt.

If you look at the summaries below there's a big difference in energy expenditure between the heart rate monitor and power meter for this ride. 2107 kcal for the heart rate monitor and 1535 kcal for the power meter (assuming that 1 kj = 1kcal burnt). Of the two the power meter figure is likely to be closer to the actual energy expenditure, meaning that the heart rate monitor was over reading by 572 kcal.

If you were to use the energy expenditure figure provided by the heart rate monitor to try and eat exactly the calories burnt then you'd end up overeating, as it's based on an inaccurate figure. Unless you have some lab tests done any estimates for your daily energy expenditure (including time spent sleeping, sitting at a desk etc as you're still burning calories) are just that - estimates. You need to use your judgement to decide what's appropriate, rather than getting carried away trying to match your calorie intake exactly to what a particular table or device says.

Calories Burned by Exercise, Calorie Expenditure Chart

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Problems with my weight.

I just compared my garmin results with the results on training peaks. The kj's are within 2% of what the garmin said for every workout I looked at. But that's what garmin connect said... Maybe it's different when looking at the garmin after a workout.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Paleo is not low carb

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Paleo is not low carb
    Are you kidding?

It is a low carb. No grains, legumes, potatoes, other starches... You get carbs from other foods but they are non-refined carbs and not nearly as much of them. Paleo is heavy in fats and light in carbs.

Trust me I know, I have been on it for nearly a year and a half and know a lot about the lifestyle and diet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Problems with my weight.

I'm still eating potatos.... Can't give up the occasional baked potato or baked sweet potato.

Bro Mountainbiker
    You said you lifted in the off season.

Could you be carrying around an extra few pounds of muscle? You could be a lot closer to your goal than you think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Problems with my weight.

I hope so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm still eating potatos.... Can't give up the occasional baked potato or baked sweet potato.
    That is okay. If you read the book - Paleo for Athletes - it says endurance athletes can have these foods on occasion when training to help in muscle recovery and such. I do eat them occasionally as well. Or roasted sweet potato rounds. So delicious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    Are you kidding?

It is a low carb. No grains, legumes, potatoes, other starches... You get carbs from other foods but they are non-refined carbs and not nearly as much of them. Paleo is heavy in fats and light in carbs.

Trust me I know, I have been on it for nearly a year and a half and know a lot about the lifestyle and diet.
    No kidding here. I guess it depends on what your definition of "low carb" is.

Yes, carbs from a Paleo recommended list of fruits and vegetables. Some exceptions - recovery after workout for example.

Per "A Quick Guide to the Paleo Diet for Athletes" by 2005 Loren Cordain, PhD and Joe Friel, MS

"with carbohydrate intake at around 50%. During the build and peak (specific preparation) periods the intensity of training increases placing greater demands on the body for carbohydrate to fuel exercise. At this latter time of the season Stages III and IV become increasingly critical to the athlete’s recovery. Carbohydrate intake increases accordingly to around 60% of total calories with fat intake dropping to around 20%."
    Paleo Diet Meal Plan - A Quick Guide to the Paleo Diet for Athletes | TrainingPeaks

50-60% of calories from carbs is not low to me. 20-30% of calories from fat is not heavy in fats to me.

I think I would call Paleo more of a "type of carb diet" rather than a "low carb diet"

Now 29% of calories from carbs per this bodybuilding article is low to me.
    Low-carb Bodybuilding Diet With Six Meals Per Day | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Last edited by scottz123; 03-18-2013 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    No kidding here. I guess it depends on what your definition of "low carb" is.

Yes, carbs from a Paleo recommended list of fruits and vegetables. Some exceptions - recovery after workout for example.

Per "A Quick Guide to the Paleo Diet for Athletes" by 2005 Loren Cordain, PhD and Joe Friel, MS

"with carbohydrate intake at around 50%. During the build and peak (specific preparation) periods the intensity of training increases placing greater demands on the body for carbohydrate to fuel exercise. At this latter time of the season Stages III and IV become increasingly critical to the athlete’s recovery. Carbohydrate intake increases accordingly to around 60% of total calories with fat intake dropping to around 20%."
    Paleo Diet Meal Plan - A Quick Guide to the Paleo Diet for Athletes | TrainingPeaks

50-60% of calories from carbs is not low to me. 20-30% of calories from fat is not heavy in fats to me.

I think I would call Paleo more of a "type of carb diet" rather than a "low carb diet"

Now 29% of calories from carbs per this bodybuilding article is low to me.
    Low-carb Bodybuilding Diet With Six Meals Per Day | LIVESTRONG.COM
    You have to remember that you are pulling that information from Paleo for Athletes. That is focused on maintaining weight and keeping performance at its maximum while eating Paleo. That is not what is recommend for weight loss. The OP wants to lose weight and if he is going to do that on the Paleo diet, he needs to minimize fruits and starches as much as possible.

Typical paleo is low carb. Read up on this if you want more information. Great for the OP as well.

Frequently Asked Questions About The Paleo Diet | Dr. Loren Cordain

Desert RAT
    Paleo is a lost cause like all other "diets". It will only fail in the end. A lifestlye change to a vegan diet is the only way to get a lifelong change. Endurance requires a high carb intake, you have to keep your glycogen levels up. Not to say you can't get results on the paleo diet, I just don't think it's the safest way to go about losing weight. Go vegan for a month, give it a try and see how you feel.

Check this Blog
    Durianrider's Blog | Not even 5 lawsuits have shut this blog down..the TRUTH must go on..

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Paleo is a lost cause like all other "diets". It will only fail in the end. A lifestlye change to a vegan diet is the only way to get a lifelong change. Endurance requires a high carb intake, you have to keep your glycogen levels up. Not to say you can't get results on the paleo diet, I just don't think it's the safest way to go about losing weight. Go vegan for a month, give it a try and see how you feel.

Check this Blog
    Durianrider's Blog | Not even 5 lawsuits have shut this blog down..the TRUTH must go on..
    So you say it is a lost cause like ALL other "diets" but you push Vegan? Vegan is the ONLY way to get a lifelong change. Linking to a Vegan blogger that is well known to be ANTI-MEAT with an article on why the Paleo Diet (lots of meat) is bad?? A bit hypocritical...

There is no ONE right way to eat, some things work for some people and other things don't. It is a trial and error system to see what works best for YOU.

The Paleo diet is designed around what humans (people) have been eating for 99% of their existence. It is pushing REAL foods that are unprocessed and healthy to eat. Why would something like this fail in the end? If someone decides to eat this way, how could it possibly be worse for you than eating white bread, Oreos and fast food? The fact of the matter is, society has a major problem with eating processed, quick, crappy food.

And here is a link for you that trumps Durianrider's "theories".

Success Story Summaries | Mark's Daily Apple

Not only is it full of weight loss stories, it is littered with stories of people who had eating disorders, had trouble putting on muscle/weight. It is a very successful lifestyle.

Lusus Naturae
    Not sure I care for the anti-carb stuff. Stay away from the processed foods? yes but just because we ate a certain way (supposedly) for a long time, doesn't mean we can't adapt to new or different food types. That being said, I have not tried the paleo diet. Being a life-long lacto-veggie (42 now) I would guess probably over 1/3 of my diet is carbs of some sort.

Also have that broad shoulder scandinavian warrior build so biking isnt really going to ever be my forte, but if I can get to and stay around 170lbs i'll be happy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast