mtbr member
    May 2010

Prescription riding glasses?

Anyone else here wear prescription glasses or need them?

I'm on the hunt for some nice glasses for myself since i need to be able to see while riding. Anyone got recommendations?

Thanks
    Last edited by hysteriamk2; 06-29-2011 at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oakley can do it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i do. Oakley Jawbones. do yourself a favor and get them in G30 tint.

makes riding way better!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was looking at oakley's but I have a strange feeling it's going to end up being like $500 for 1 pair. :-/

Relentless forward motion
    RUDY PROJECT!!!

Rudy... Rudy... Rudy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by strat819; 06-29-2011 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    I do and have a hard to fill prescription.
    I went went with Rudy Project Horus. They have interchangeable lenses so I have tinted and clear and sometimes carry both.
    Not sure where you are at but I had excellent service with SportRx.com (no affiliation).
    I looked into some of the Oakley units. They can be VERY pricey if the lens has special features that need to be cut.
    Edit: I don't have issues with sweat getting on the lenses. What is nice about the Horus frames is that they have shape-able earpieces so you can make them "hook" around your ears better than most to keep them in place.
    Ill admit Oakley has some awesome models and would have bought them regardless of price if they could handle my prescription.

(that wierd that that "I do" links to something. What the hell is that? is that the site or is my computer sick?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hysteriamk2 View Post
    I was looking at oakley's but I have a strange feeling it's going to end up being like $500 for 1 pair. :-/
    they aren't cheap, but in my experience cheap almost always lets me down.

i am a heavy sweater and the jawbones are the only glasses i can wear that will last more than one lap on me. other glasses (including oakley glasses) get messed up with sweat and impair my vision. jawbones have something about the design that helps... though it could just be the way they fit on my face...
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have 2 sets of Oakley Rx. Do you have vision insurance? We used ours for Jawbone frames and lenses. I think I actually also got Transition lenses and with the frame allowance I *think* it was less than $150 for me through VSP.

mtbr member
    I have a set of oakley straight jackets with transition lenses. I absolutely love them for riding. Never have to worry about lenses, one set of glasses for any time of day or condition. This is also really convenient when I'm canoeing/backpacking/fishing or on my motorcycle. They were not cheap, but I've been an oakley wearer since the early 90's and always been extremely happy with the product, so to me, knowing they will be quality and last, I was prepared to pay (though I have descent benefits to help)

My only complaints. In really damp weather, they fog the first time I stop riding and it won't go away. Not sure if a set of vented lenses in something like a jawbone would help. Second complaint, and only with the transitions is they won't activate in the car because of the UV filter on the windshield. But, I also have a set of Fuel Cell's with prescription for a more casual wearing.

Old Dude
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deano machineo View Post
    I do and have a hard to fill prescription.
    I went went with Rudy Project Horus. They have interchangeable lenses so I have tinted and clear and sometimes carry both.
    Not sure where you are at but I had excellent service with SportRx.com (no affiliation).

S2D2: Same Story, Different Dude.

I bought the RP Horus from the same place, got grey tintend lenses and a pair of amber/yellow for low light days. Could'nt be happier.

likes to ride bikes
    I ride the road with glasses during the week but I prefer 1-day contacts when I'm racing..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Using excess FSA money over the years on sports glasses I've gathered quite a collection. First two pair were Zeals. Then tried a pair of Rudy Projects from sportsoptical.com, and just earlier this year got a pair of Tifosi Rx and having good luck with them too. Always wanted a pair of Oakley, but they will never make my particular prescription. I think Oakley's are great if you have a simple and easy Rx, but they don't like to step out of their comfort zone at all it seems.

scared to post
    my optometrist had no problem putting my script into a pair of nike ignites. I love them, and the nose pad thingy is the most comfortable i have used.
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What's good for Kurt...
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rockgardn pangaea

Just picked up some of the rockgardn pangaea glasses from universal cycle.. Cost 35 bucks.. not bolle quality but not the price either..

mtbr member
    I have had killer loop with prescription lenses for quite a few years. I did polarized lenses and really like them. Cuts more glare with a lighter tint so I rarely find them too dark in shade etc. My eye insurance covered them so the cost wasn't too bad. They just explicitly exclude scott, okley, smith frames.

I have Wiley X safety glasses and they are almost useless due to fogging. Probably doesn't help that the wrong prescription was cut and they are too close to my eyes.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Does anyone know what sunglass manufacturer makes hi index prescription lenses? My astigmatism makes the lenses thick, so a hi index lens makes it about half as thick. I have been told that most sunglass manufactures will not due hi index because they are not as durable as polycarbonate.

Short-Change-Hero
    Think I am going to have to try a pair of the RockGardn Pangaea with my next check. Don't really have the money to drop on a nice pair of Oakleys like I want to but the $35 for the RockGardn is very affordable. The Rx insert makes it nice too since my state vision insurance SUCKS!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hoping to find a good pair of riding glasses at kaisers optometry dept, with shatterproof lenses and anti glare their displays didnt really show biking profile glasses though.

Anyone tried lenscrafters?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oakleys are the way to go, i've had my two pair of prescription glasses for over six years and they take a beating.

I tried Rudy Projects, but didn't like the lens inserts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Tried it

I tried the Smith system with prescription lenses that clip in behind the sunglasses lens. It was very bad for me... Objects in front of me seemed either further away or closer than they really were. It was dangerous and I gave up after 10 minutes. I've heard from others that the Oakleys also can give that type of skewed perspective. Finally after too many races with dust collecting under my contacts, I got LASIK and I'm not looking back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I found a local shop that took my vision insurance and put down the $$ for some rudy zyon's.

They fit really well with the bendable side frames but i have a few days till they arrive.

Short-Change-Hero
    Just got my pair of RockGardn Pangaea's yesterday. Pretty comfortable glasses and the prescription insert seems pretty decent. These are made of a semi soft plastic (do not feel like my Nike Nix's) but should serve their purpose well.

Now to take the insert to Costco and see how much that is going to cost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What is the typical range for the RX glasses? I have a pretty strong prescription, what are the limits?
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

Old Dude
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post
    What is the typical range for the RX glasses? I have a pretty strong prescription, what are the limits?
    Check out the link posted earlier:

http://www.sportsoptical.com/prescri...sunglasses.htm

You can look at each featured model and see the Rx range for that frame. SportsOptical does pretty well grinding lenses that others won't touch.

You can also fill out their inquiry form on the site with your Rx numbers and they will reply by email what is recommended, or just call them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Couple more questions, one regarding contact lenses

1) What do you guys think about using polarized lenses for cycling? Or should just go with standard?

2) What two lenses would you get to cover your needs? I was thinking some type of black/grey for daytime and yellow for low light riding (dawn/dusk/night)?

3) Do you think any of those anti-reflective coatings are worth it? I sometimes see they have different grades (std, premium, ultra). Damn do they cost a lot more to add.

4) I was thinking of getting contact lenses and then just buying regular sunglasses since my prescription is really strong, my options are limited and expensive!! And TBH, they don't look that great to begin with and they wouldn't look any better with thick lenses in them LOL.

Is there any problems with sweat/dirt while cycling?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Couple more questions, one regarding contact lenses

1) What do you guys think about using polarized lenses for cycling? Or should just go with standard?

2) What two lenses would you get to cover your needs? I was thinking some type of black/grey for daytime and yellow for low light riding (dawn/dusk/night)?

3) Do you think any of those anti-reflective coatings are worth it? I sometimes see they have different grades (std, premium, ultra). Damn do they cost a lot more to add.

Is there any problems with sweat/dirt while cycling?

Thanks
    I wouldn't get polarized. It makes the road look funny if you do any road riding and not sure it's worth it/necessary.

If I could only have 2 I'd get G30 (Oakley) and Clear/Grey Transition. I have both in Rx and they are awesome. I have NOT tried the new Ruby Iridium from Oakley but I've heard they are amazing. G30 works awesome for contrast in and out of trees and also in exposed conditions (we have a lot of that in So Cal, much more exposed than in and out of trees). I like the clear/grey transition because they work super well and I can use them at night or at dusk.

Not sure I'd go for any coatings except protectant from scratches, etc. as I have nailed tree branches, etc.

I usually rinse mine with warm water and sometimes soap to get off sweat/dirt, etc. I only wipe with the microcloth once clean and mostly dry (blot dry with soft cloth/towel and shake off as well).

Jawbones FTW wrt sweating

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    I wouldn't get polarized. It makes the road look funny if you do any road riding and not sure it's worth it/necessary.

If I could only have 2 I'd get G30 (Oakley) and Clear/Grey Transition. I have both in Rx and they are awesome. I have NOT tried the new Ruby Iridium from Oakley but I've heard they are amazing. G30 works awesome for contrast in and out of trees and also in exposed conditions (we have a lot of that in So Cal, much more exposed than in and out of trees). I like the clear/grey transition because they work super well and I can use them at night or at dusk.

Not sure I'd go for any coatings except protectant from scratches, etc. as I have nailed tree branches, etc.

I usually rinse mine with warm water and sometimes soap to get off sweat/dirt, etc. I only wipe with the microcloth once clean and mostly dry (blot dry with soft cloth/towel and shake off as well).

this.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post

Thanks for the info. I didn't see "ruby iridium" I saw "fire iridium", "red iridium" and persimmon and the G30 you mentioned.

Looks like I will be buying some new sunglasses in the near future

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the info. I didn't see "ruby iridium" I saw "fire iridium", "red iridium" and persimmon and the G30 you mentioned.

Looks like I will be buying some new sunglasses in the near future
    Not sure Ruby is available yet for purchase, but it was the lens tint a lot of the top TdF riders were wearing during the race (Thor, etc.). I've heard from friends also that they are awesome, but I haven't tried them. Maybe some day

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seem like most ppl use Oakley, I went to the website and saw some asian fit model, serve better purpose . I'm gonna see If i can pick up a FLAK JACKET w/ clear/grey transition lens. I've no vision insurance, so this gonna cost a bunch here.

mtbr member
    I wanted to report on my recent RX purchase. I have a hard to fill RX and I recently used Heavyglare.com to fill it. I bought a pair or Oakley Straightjackets. These have a lot of wrap and I have been told by all other optical suppliers my RX could not be filled. Heavyglare did it. No distortion, none. No thick looking outboard edge. I am totally amazed.
    No affiliation just a very happy customer. I highly recommend these guys.

Just Ride
    I might pick these up for the time being. Not till next spring though.
    Amazon.com: New Birdz Phoenix Goggles Sunglasses Rx Able 3 Lenses Fill with Your Own Prescription Lenses!: Sports & Outdoors

22 bucks plus whatever the rx cost. Roughly hundred bucks total. Yea, I'm a cheap ass! But it'll allow me more money to spend on a bike!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I bought a pair form SportRX. They have a special on the Streak which is a house brand frame. They sent me a pair to try on and then credited my card when I sent the frames back.

They are 79.95 with polycarbonate lenses, I paid another 79.95 to get transition lenses. They turned out great. The optical clarity is good. I have had 3 pair of Oakleys a pair of Rudy Projects and 2 pair from my local optometrist. After 1 or 2 winters of riding they all end up scratched. I went the cheap way this time and so far am really happy.

They don't have the cool factor of Oakleys, but not all of us are cool...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got some Oakley scalpels Rx and they work fine but for some reason when I'm on a trail they make me feel cross eyed and I can't look down at moving ground for very long. Could be the way the lenses are curved along with my a stigmatism. Not sure but it's a bummer because even though insurance covered most of it they were still pretty expensive.

mtbr member
    l0gjammin, I'd take the lenses back and have them checked out. I've had lenses made or mounted incorrectly before. Such as the lens being cut with RX rotated a little bit or the pupil distance not correct. It happens. There is a way for them to confirm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ditto @ deano machineo. My first pr were rotated incorrectly but fixed promptly.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Just got my pair of RockGardn Pangaea's yesterday. Pretty comfortable glasses and the prescription insert seems pretty decent. These are made of a semi soft plastic (do not feel like my Nike Nix's) but should serve their purpose well.

Now to take the insert to Costco and see how much that is going to cost.
    How do they fit? I have a huge head and would love to know if they are enough to cover my face.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks deano machineo I'll give that a shot and see if they can correct it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Walamrt optical- Bolle's

mtbr member
    I know this is an old post but I think this will help those that are still looking for riding glasses that will help with prescription & good sealed pair that will keep bugs out.....I was looking around for a pair that will work for me. I need one that will work inside my helmet (bicycle & motorcycle) and found these.......it comes with insert piece for prescription lenses and it hugs so well around the face with foam where bugs will not escape in......I was having major allergy attack each time I return from riding to where I don't feel like riding anymore. However after spending so much money on my MTB's there is no way I will let my bikes hang in my garage. These are excellent for the money....these can be purchased pretty much everywhere. I bought mine off eBay

BOBSTER BSTT0C1AC SPEKTRAX CONVERTIBLE GOGGLES WITH OPTICAL INSERT

mtbr member
    Love my Rudy Project Horus. I have had them three years, still going strong. I use them every day, driving, cycling, just being outside or working in the yard. The best thing about them, and I didn't see it mentioned; they do not have rx inserts sitting behind the lens. That's why I chose them, the full eye piece is rx, the polarized smoke is great for full sun days. I am not gentle on them, lenses seem pretty scratch resistant. They came with a really nice gym bag and a pretty good helmet. These things stay on my face swimming just fine.

mtbr member
    I spent some time with my optometrist trying on what he had. We found a very nice fitting pair of designer somethingoranother (nine west? Maybe?) and put the nice poly lenses in it. For ~$150 with a very difficult prescription, I am quite happy. We adjusted the arms to just hug my head, no problem under my helmet. I got some gator strap things that are snug to the back of my head, so they dont go anywhere in a fall.

If you have concern over fit, I would suggest spending time with an optometrist, trying on what they have. They can also make adjustments you can't get from online frames.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Rudy Horus. Been using them daily for a few years. Ordering up a set of Transition inserts for those late or early start rides.
    One big thing for me with the Horus is the old school conventional formable curved earpieces versus the typical straight type. 1; they don't contact the helmet strap system back parts, which is very irritating. 2; They hook around your ears holding them in place. Hardly need to push them back in place.
    They aren't as bad ass looking as a pair of Split Jackets IMO. But not hard to look at.
    Ride it like you stole it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I figured I'd chime in since the thread was revived. I have a pair of ESS Crossbow Suppressors with the clear, yellow and copper lenses. The prescription insert is similar to what Oakley used to use a few years ago. I've had them for a few years and never had any problems. The temple pieces on the Suppressor model is very thin and flexible, so it will fit under helmet straps or earmuffs or whatever.

Suppressor 2X Kit: Clear & Hi-Def Copper in Ballistic Eyeshields - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

I was quoted something like $400 for prescription Oakleys, so I went the ESS route.

Andy B.
    Main Ride: 2016 Jekyll Carbon 2
    '11 Pugsley
    '97 Uber V conversion

Kick Start My Heart
    I went with Rudy Horus through SportRx. They could do my prescription, and the glasses are great.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2