Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Prescription riding glasses?

Anyone else here wear prescription glasses or need them?

I'm on the hunt for some nice glasses for myself since i need to be able to see while riding. Anyone got recommendations?

Thanks
    Last edited by hysteriamk2; 06-29-2011 at 12:09 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oakley can do it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i do. Oakley Jawbones. do yourself a favor and get them in G30 tint.

makes riding way better!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was looking at oakley's but I have a strange feeling it's going to end up being like $500 for 1 pair. :-/

Drop in?... Anyone?
    RUDY PROJECT!!!

Rudy... Rudy... Rudy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by strat819; 06-29-2011 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    I do and have a hard to fill prescription.
    I went went with Rudy Project Horus. They have interchangeable lenses so I have tinted and clear and sometimes carry both.
    Not sure where you are at but I had excellent service with SportRx.com (no affiliation).
    I looked into some of the Oakley units. They can be VERY pricey if the lens has special features that need to be cut.
    Edit: I don't have issues with sweat getting on the lenses. What is nice about the Horus frames is that they have shape-able earpieces so you can make them "hook" around your ears better than most to keep them in place.
    Ill admit Oakley has some awesome models and would have bought them regardless of price if they could handle my prescription.

(that wierd that that "I do" links to something. What the hell is that? is that the site or is my computer sick?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hysteriamk2 View Post
    I was looking at oakley's but I have a strange feeling it's going to end up being like $500 for 1 pair. :-/
    they aren't cheap, but in my experience cheap almost always lets me down.

i am a heavy sweater and the jawbones are the only glasses i can wear that will last more than one lap on me. other glasses (including oakley glasses) get messed up with sweat and impair my vision. jawbones have something about the design that helps... though it could just be the way they fit on my face...
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Have 2 sets of Oakley Rx. Do you have vision insurance? We used ours for Jawbone frames and lenses. I think I actually also got Transition lenses and with the frame allowance I *think* it was less than $150 for me through VSP.

mtbr member
    I have a set of oakley straight jackets with transition lenses. I absolutely love them for riding. Never have to worry about lenses, one set of glasses for any time of day or condition. This is also really convenient when I'm canoeing/backpacking/fishing or on my motorcycle. They were not cheap, but I've been an oakley wearer since the early 90's and always been extremely happy with the product, so to me, knowing they will be quality and last, I was prepared to pay (though I have descent benefits to help)

My only complaints. In really damp weather, they fog the first time I stop riding and it won't go away. Not sure if a set of vented lenses in something like a jawbone would help. Second complaint, and only with the transitions is they won't activate in the car because of the UV filter on the windshield. But, I also have a set of Fuel Cell's with prescription for a more casual wearing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by deano machineo View Post
    I do and have a hard to fill prescription.
    I went went with Rudy Project Horus. They have interchangeable lenses so I have tinted and clear and sometimes carry both.
    Not sure where you are at but I had excellent service with SportRx.com (no affiliation).

S2D2: Same Story, Different Dude.

I bought the RP Horus from the same place, got grey tintend lenses and a pair of amber/yellow for low light days. Could'nt be happier.

likes to ride bikes
    I ride the road with glasses during the week but I prefer 1-day contacts when I'm racing..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Using excess FSA money over the years on sports glasses I've gathered quite a collection. First two pair were Zeals. Then tried a pair of Rudy Projects from sportsoptical.com, and just earlier this year got a pair of Tifosi Rx and having good luck with them too. Always wanted a pair of Oakley, but they will never make my particular prescription. I think Oakley's are great if you have a simple and easy Rx, but they don't like to step out of their comfort zone at all it seems.

scared to post
    my optometrist had no problem putting my script into a pair of nike ignites. I love them, and the nose pad thingy is the most comfortable i have used.
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    What's good for Kurt...
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

rockgardn pangaea

Just picked up some of the rockgardn pangaea glasses from universal cycle.. Cost 35 bucks.. not bolle quality but not the price either..

mtbr member
    I have had killer loop with prescription lenses for quite a few years. I did polarized lenses and really like them. Cuts more glare with a lighter tint so I rarely find them too dark in shade etc. My eye insurance covered them so the cost wasn't too bad. They just explicitly exclude scott, okley, smith frames.

I have Wiley X safety glasses and they are almost useless due to fogging. Probably doesn't help that the wrong prescription was cut and they are too close to my eyes.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Does anyone know what sunglass manufacturer makes hi index prescription lenses? My astigmatism makes the lenses thick, so a hi index lens makes it about half as thick. I have been told that most sunglass manufactures will not due hi index because they are not as durable as polycarbonate.

Short-Change-Hero
    Think I am going to have to try a pair of the RockGardn Pangaea with my next check. Don't really have the money to drop on a nice pair of Oakleys like I want to but the $35 for the RockGardn is very affordable. The Rx insert makes it nice too since my state vision insurance SUCKS!
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hoping to find a good pair of riding glasses at kaisers optometry dept, with shatterproof lenses and anti glare their displays didnt really show biking profile glasses though.

Anyone tried lenscrafters?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oakleys are the way to go, i've had my two pair of prescription glasses for over six years and they take a beating.

I tried Rudy Projects, but didn't like the lens inserts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Tried it

I tried the Smith system with prescription lenses that clip in behind the sunglasses lens. It was very bad for me... Objects in front of me seemed either further away or closer than they really were. It was dangerous and I gave up after 10 minutes. I've heard from others that the Oakleys also can give that type of skewed perspective. Finally after too many races with dust collecting under my contacts, I got LASIK and I'm not looking back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I found a local shop that took my vision insurance and put down the $$ for some rudy zyon's.

They fit really well with the bendable side frames but i have a few days till they arrive.

Short-Change-Hero
    Just got my pair of RockGardn Pangaea's yesterday. Pretty comfortable glasses and the prescription insert seems pretty decent. These are made of a semi soft plastic (do not feel like my Nike Nix's) but should serve their purpose well.

Now to take the insert to Costco and see how much that is going to cost.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What is the typical range for the RX glasses? I have a pretty strong prescription, what are the limits?
    Berkeley Bicycle Club (BBC) - http://berkeleybike.org

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK View Post
    What is the typical range for the RX glasses? I have a pretty strong prescription, what are the limits?
    Check out the link posted earlier:

http://www.sportsoptical.com/prescri...sunglasses.htm

You can look at each featured model and see the Rx range for that frame. SportsOptical does pretty well grinding lenses that others won't touch.

You can also fill out their inquiry form on the site with your Rx numbers and they will reply by email what is recommended, or just call them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast