Thread: Pre Race Meal

mtbr member
    May 2007

Pre Race Meal

Pre Race Meal...
    What works for you and how many hours/minutes before do you consume it?
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I actually hit the carbs pretty hard the night before and eat kinds light the day off. Before I go to bed I usually down a good amount of old fashioned oats mixed with some whey protein and in the morning I have some fruit with protein.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The most important time to refuel is after a training session. So, generally, you should be pretty will fueled up the morning of a race. The AM meal will kind of top you off. It also makes you not hungry, i.e. not uncomfortable, and gets your bowels working. How long before an effort you should eat is variable and you will likely get a variety of answers. For me, it's oatmeal (savory, steel cut) with protein (2-3 egg whites and one yolk) about 3 hours before a heavy effort. Events are less than 2 hours.

Larry

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I start 3 days before. The Thursday before a Sunday race, I do a LONG ride to burn off all the carbs I can. Then I eat mostly meats and proteins that night to deplete my carb stores as much as possible. Friday I take off the bike completely and do eat fairly regular meals (no carb loading yet). Saturday morning and for lunch I eat as many carbs as possible, mostly whole grain pasta/breads. Pre-ride the trail that afternoon and hit the carbs again that evening and have a lot of fruit. Sunday morning consists of mostly whole grains and fruit again before the race. I find depletion a few days before helps me out a lot though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    allison's patented steel cut oats.

2.5 hrs prior is best i think.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I mainly race marathon type xc events, my favourite pre race meal is:

50g Oatmeal made with water together with some dried fruit and honey
    Whole wheat bagel toped with a sliced banana, 100% peanut butter and honey
    Glass of fresh orange juice and a large cup of fresh black coffee

I usually have this about 4 hours before the start and top it off about 60 mins before the start with 800ml energy drink (High5 4:1) and a clif bar

XC racer
    May 2005
    I think it varies person to person....a lot. For me, I like to have my pre-race meal 2-3 hours before the start. At our local races, that's usually breakfast, and I've found I do well on "normal" breakfast food like eggs, grits, toast, even bacon if it's not too greasy. Oatmeal or grainy cold cerals okay, I don't do well on "sweet" foods like pancakes or waffles.
    This year I'm trying a new product called "Pre-Sport" by Enervit. It's a gel loaf you're supposed to eat 1-2 hours before your effort, I try to consume one an hour before my start. So far this year no bonking in races lasting 1 1/2 to a bit over 2 hours.

Big Damn Hero
    This is my first year of racing so I certainly am not the most effective eater, but I wanted to share what has worked really well for me. Some might call it crazy, or even stupid... but it works for me.

I eat two chicken, bean, rice and guacamole burritos on whole wheat tortillas. I grill up two lightly seasoned chicken breasts, cook up some black beans and white rice, make some guac and then throw it all into some whole wheat tortillas and have at it.

I actually stumbled onto this by accident. I had just eaten a full burrito (with similar ingredients) from Chipotle when my buddy called and wanted to know if I wanted to go hit the trails. I told him I needed an hour or two to let the food digest, but once we hit the trails I felt better than I ever had. I actually rode longer and faster than I can ever remember.

So I started tweaking the recipe each time to get it to where I really enjoy it while keeping the key ingredients. I've also experimented with other pre-ride foods and always wind up coming back to this combo as I'm noticeably a better rider when I eat appropriately.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    allison's patented steel cut oats.

2.5 hrs prior is best i think.

What the heck is in those oats man!? You guys are tearing it up out there...please share

Like mtbscott said, it really does vary from person to person. No two people are the same. Generally there are certain pre race meals that tend to work best for most racers. Find out and test 'em all on hard race-like training rides. Clearly race day morning is never a good time to test a new meal out....ever.

I remember seeing a behind the scenes video of the US Postal team during some of the bigger races/tours. They ALL seemed to be eating the same thing which surprised me. Their chef would prepare scrambled eggs and plain pasta every morning.

Of course, most mtb xc races are much shorter than most pro road tour days..
    Last edited by rydbyk; 05-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I don't really change my diet much because of a race.
    I guess if anything I try and "top off" every couple hours up to race time without eating anything stoopid and untested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    bringing one back from the past.... did we ever figure out the recipe for "allison's patented steel cut oats" ... I even checked her website I didn't see a recipe just enticing pictures

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here's my notes and my thinking from taking a recent Exercise, Health & Performance course at university (SFU). Note the carb loading can be 3, 5 or 7 day...

I'm new to racing and likely overthinking things, but I find energy systems and performance to be quite fascinating. The racing I'm planning for is endurance 3hr+, 40km, technical etc.

Time relative to race start time:
    -10 d and prior
    - Try to up the nitrates: beetroot juice, beets, leafy greens, spinach, celery, endives, fennel, arugula (rocket or rucola), leeks and parsley.
    Source: Nitrate supplementation's impro... [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    -7 d
    - Carbo loading start
    - 1st day Depletion exercise.
    -6 d
    - 2nd day High-carbohydrate diet, regular exercise (50% CHO).
    -5 d
    - 3rd day High-carbohydrate diet, regular exercise (50% CHO).
    -4 d
    - 4th day High-carbohydrate diet, regular exercise (50% CHO).
    -3 d
    - 5th day High-carbohydrate diet, little or no exercise (70% CHO).
    -2 d
    - 6th day High-carbohydrate diet, little or no exercise (70% CHO).
    -1 d
    - 7th day High-carbohydrate diet, little or no exercise (70% CHO).
    -3 h
    - Breakfast, slow (ie. low GI) carbs
    -2 h
    - Water / hydrate (16oz. of cool beverage)
    -1 h
    - Sportlegs (not sure if this works, but what the hell)
    - No refined carbohydrates to prevent rebound hypoglycemia!
    - Coffee: no more than 3–5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight
    15 m (after start)
    - 30-60g carbs per hour (dates/6g ea, banana/27g ea)
    - Energy drink / electrolytes?
    - Bars/gels (15-25g carbs each)
    45 m
    - Carbs / Gel (consider glucose/water solution of 2-5g per 100ml)
    - Water (200ml every 15 minutes)
    1h30
    - Carbs / Gel
    2h15
    - Carbs / Gel
    - Fast high-GI carbs (1.5g per KG body weight within first hour)
    - 100-200g carbs within 2 hours
    - 4:1 carbs to protein
    - 1 litres per kg body weight lost (est. 2 kgs?) = 2 litres?

Note on the carbo loading:
    Can increase muscle glycogen stores from a normal level of 17 grams per kilogram of muscle to as high as 40 grams per kilogram of muscle. These increased muscle glycogen levels have been shown to enhance endurance performance.

Good article on fueling:
    Nutrition Before During and After Competition

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I eat Biju's oatmeal pretty much every morning. On race day I just eat when I get up and then if it's a later race I might have a pb&j a little closer to race time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jerschwab View Post
    Here's my notes and my thinking from taking a recent Exercise, Health & Performance course at university (SFU). Note the carb loading can be 3, 5 or 7 day...

I'm new to racing and likely overthinking things, but I find energy systems and performance to be quite fascinating. The racing I'm planning for is endurance 3hr+, 40km, technical etc.

Time relative to race start time:
    -10 d and prior
    - Try to up the nitrates: beetroot juice, beets, leafy greens, spinach, celery, endives, fennel, arugula (rocket or rucola), leeks and parsley.
    Source: Nitrate supplementation's impro... [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    -7 d
    - Carbo loading start
    - 1st day Depletion exercise.
    -6 d
    - 2nd day High-carbohydrate diet, regular exercise (50% CHO).
    -5 d
    - 3rd day High-carbohydrate diet, regular exercise (50% CHO).
    -4 d
    - 4th day High-carbohydrate diet, regular exercise (50% CHO).
    -3 d
    - 5th day High-carbohydrate diet, little or no exercise (70% CHO).
    -2 d
    - 6th day High-carbohydrate diet, little or no exercise (70% CHO).
    -1 d
    - 7th day High-carbohydrate diet, little or no exercise (70% CHO).
    -3 h
    - Breakfast, slow (ie. low GI) carbs
    -2 h
    - Water / hydrate (16oz. of cool beverage)
    -1 h
    - Sportlegs (not sure if this works, but what the hell)
    - No refined carbohydrates to prevent rebound hypoglycemia!
    - Coffee: no more than 3–5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight
    15 m (after start)
    - 30-60g carbs per hour (dates/6g ea, banana/27g ea)
    - Energy drink / electrolytes?
    - Bars/gels (15-25g carbs each)
    45 m
    - Carbs / Gel (consider glucose/water solution of 2-5g per 100ml)
    1h30
    - Carbs / Gel
    2h15
    - Carbs / Gel
    - Fast high-GI carbs (1.5g per KG body weight within first hour)
    - 100-200g carbs within 2 hours
    - 4:1 carbs to protein
    - 1 litres per kg body weight lost (est. 2 kgs?) = 2 litres?

Note on the carbo loading:
    Can increase muscle glycogen stores from a normal level of 17 grams per kilogram of muscle to as high as 40 grams per kilogram of muscle. These increased muscle glycogen levels have been shown to enhance endurance performance.

Good article on fueling:
    Nutrition Before During and After Competition
    well, i may have to start this as normally i just eat as much pasta and fruit as possible the nigh before and hope foir the best, i also use electrolyte drinks, they seem petty good, and i may get some gels too

cheers

Members who have read this thread: 8