MC Hammer

Pre-Race Hyrdration Technique/Routines?

Does anyone have any techniques/routines/special diets to share for days leading up to an XC race?

I'm doing my first XC race in 3yrs on sunday and I'm trying to prepare for it......I've done 2 short cyclocross races in the last month and cramped up in each one so I figure I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

mtbr member
    What do you usually do?

Some basic info:
    http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Water.html
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

MC Hammer
    I just drink a whole bunch of water in the days leading up to the race.....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Dawg

Urine should be a light straw yellow colour, Ph of 6.5 to 7.0

Don't over drink, and take electrolytes to increase urine PH, normally PH will be low if you are doing a lot of exercise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Dawg
    And probably pee a lot, too.

BTW do you mean muscle cramps or a stomach stitch?

mtbr member
    When you drink a lot of water in the days leading up to an event you put your body into a flushing mode. It has more water than it needs to it begins to expel it at a higher rate. Bodybuilders and weight regulated sports athletes (wrestling, boxing, MMA, etc) do this to dehydrate themselves and lose weight leading up to an event. I would recommend drinking water like you normally do when training in the days leading up to the event then drink extra water just before the event. I have read NSCA articles that recommend 20floz of water an hour or two before then event and/or 12floz half an hour before the event depending on weather and temperature. However it is just a general guideline. Play with what you do and find out what works best for your body.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I usually try eat as healthy as I can and as much as I feel like about 3 -4 days before a race. I always squeeze in a big burger a day or so before. It may not even do anything for me but I like to think the protein helps but not totally sure about that.

Ive only been racing for two years so I am definitely still figuring out what works for my body and trying to learn about numbers and what your body needs/doesn't need. I tried the whole big pasta dinner the night before but that didn't do anything but give me a big tummy ache.

The morning of an early race. I have tried all sorts of ways... The eating solid (eggs oatmeal fruit) bfast three hrs before... Eating a light b-fast (oatmeal or half bagel and fruit)... Eating a only a bowl of cereal... nothing seemed to do the trick even 2-3 hrs before. Anything I tried always made me very sick to my stomach. I race xc & end mtb and cx.

One day I was running late and had skipped bfast. I had a glass of OJ and coffee on the way. It was the best bfast I have ever had. I did surprisingly well in the race and didnt feel so sick to my stomach at all! I didn't know if it was just that race or lack of food before. I experimented with it the rest of summer and into cross season and it is still working today! I never skip any meals usually. Only bfast on race days.

I drink about a cup of juice (any kind) or handful of fruit and coffee. I usually will eat a gel pack half hr before my race and then one at the start line and im good to go! Its probably not the best for you body but it seems to do the trick for me. You just have to recover well which I do.

Endurance racing is totally diff. I have discovered it doesn't work for that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I use nuun to get electrolytes without the sugar or carbs in- light tasting, easy to drink.

(disclaimer: I work for nuun)

but still, great stuff.