Freedom Isn't Free

PowerTap SL 2.4 Disc Brake Hub -- its out!

http://www.saris.com/p-349-powertap-...brake-hub.aspx

$1,599.99...wow, that's steep. 8 bolt disc rotor, 416 grams (hub), 2.4 GHz wireless

Mythical Creature
    Drooooolll......!

Not much more than the non-disk version, so it's all relative, I guess.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

FasCat Coaching
    Is that 1599 for just the hub or a pre-built wheel??

Hmmm, might have to put the ergomo up on ebay as I'm racing a few different bikes this season, one being a singlespeed, having power for each one would be incredibly useful.

However, I do love the IF, TSS and altitude ability of the ergomo computer......
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9

Hmmm, might have to put the ergomo up on ebay as I'm racing a few different bikes this season, one being a singlespeed, having power for each one would be incredibly useful.

However, I do love the IF, TSS and altitude ability of the ergomo computer......
    I believe that price is the hub only, of course that is also MSRP. I bought a brand new PowerTap SL prebuilt wheel for about 60% of MSRP a couple weeks back, so look around and I'm sure you'll find a deal.

FYI - Ergomo and the US Distributor parted ways, which could lead to service troubles down the road. See this article if you haven't already...

And I'm sure you probably know this, but WKO+ from CyclingPeaks.com will show you IF & TSS from PowerTap data. Of course its another $100 on top of the price of the PT, but its really a great software package.

I do wish my PT did altitude though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    you guys know of any good articles for comparison of the power meter systems?
    Is the Ergomo system wireless?

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I believe that price is the hub only, of course that is also MSRP. I bought a brand new PowerTap SL prebuilt wheel for about 60% of MSRP a couple weeks back, so look around and I'm sure you'll find a deal.

FYI - Ergomo and the US Distributor parted ways, which could lead to service troubles down the road. See this article if you haven't already...

And I'm sure you probably know this, but WKO+ from CyclingPeaks.com will show you IF & TSS from PowerTap data. Of course its another $100 on top of the price of the PT, but its really a great software package.

I do wish my PT did altitude though.
    Yup, I've got WKO+, been using it for years. But the Ergomo, will display the IF and TSS on the screen for the ride, not having to guesstimate you numbers for a ride is awfully nice.

FIT Multisports has taken over the ergomo distribution
    FasCat Coaching

FasCat Coaching
    Ergomo is not wireless, it uses a pretty heavy duty wire that goes from the bottom bracket up to the display.

Google Groups: Wattage is a good group to check out for comparison of power meters
    FasCat Coaching

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by zariaman
    you guys know of any good articles for comparison of the power meter systems?
    I never really came across what I would consider great information on the web comparing the power meters. In my search, reading Racing & Training with a Power meter was the best source of information I found. It only spends a chapter on comparing the devices, but its what I would call "essential" regardless of which system you end up purchasing.

Searching google or reading the Google Wattage forum is a good start as well though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9

This year will be my first year racing MTB and cyclocross so I am trying to collect as much information on training and racing as possible and everyone on this forum has so much information. I understand for training you would use a powermeter to make sure you stay at the planned wattage, as we know wattage is a constant unlike heart rate training.

How would a power meter be useful while racing? I would suspect you could use it to know what real time potential wattage you can pump out and then record and monitor improvements in races, is there any other information you could use while racing?

FasCat Coaching
    The value of using a power meter while racing is significantly greater than that of using heart rate or perceived effort.

Once you have used the power meter, established your training zones and performed analysis on your data collected you can use it to enhance your racing.

Power is power, always. Never lies and is completely independent of heart rate, wind, uphill, etc.

Using power for racing allows you to constrain your effort levels. You can ride a race in check, right at your FTP (functional threshold power) maximizing your ability to go as hard as you can.

You can also use power to determine your "matches". A match is a hard effort at a given level of intensity. Say 30 seconds at 150% of ftp is your match, and you can only perform this effort 5 times during a race. Using power, you are able to determine if you are burning up those matches, but also able to use power during training to increase your number of matches.
    FasCat Coaching

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This looks awesome. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't sell my SRM and buy one of these since I race MTB more than 90% of the time...

locked - time out
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XC_Miles
    This looks awesome. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't sell my SRM and buy one of these since I race MTB more than 90% of the time...
    You could sell your SRM and buy a PT SL AND a PT SL 2.4 Disc Brake hub...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duke of kent
    You could sell your SRM and buy a PT SL AND a PT SL 2.4 Disc Brake hub...
    Its an amateur so I don't think that'd quite work out, but may very well be what I do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Does anyone know who is stocking these? I have a power meter fetish - SRM Pro on my road bike and another one on my cross bike. MTB sits around unused, despite me being a mountain biker. This is just what I have been waiting for. I might have to sell my TV, but it will be worth it.

Freedom Isn't Free

No TV = more saddle time...

Quote Originally Posted by Team Green Steve
    I might have to sell my TV, but it will be worth it.

Your LBS should be able to order one from Cycleops/Saris directly. If you are hunting for the lowest price, it will take awhile for them to end up on e-bay and other low price outlets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone actually confirmed these are shipping yet?

FasCat Coaching
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Green Steve
    I might have to sell my TV, but it will be worth it.
    I agree, I'm looking right now through all the stuff I can sell on ebay.

I had my LBS call, apparently Late Spring is the expected release date, and they are not taking backorders...

....now back to scavenging for coins in the couch to save for this bad boy
    FasCat Coaching

mtbr member
    Ugh. Powertap SL 2.4 disc + Powertap SL 2.4 + Garmin Edge 705 = expensive.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Would love to have one (have 135mm spaced PT already - for rim brake of course ) but I think I'm going to let everyone else be the guinea pigs for a year and see what the experience is. As I understand it, there was quite a bit of new engineering required for this product to deal with the different forces acting on the hub shell plus thermal considerations that they don't have to worry about, or are a bit different at least, with rim brake versions. If a year goes by and all seems good from user reports, I'll probably plunk down my $$$ too.

Any thoughts on the reliability of the engagement mechanism? Is it just a standard old-school 3 pawl system? It stands up to use by Pro Tour riders so obviously no issues with handling high power, but wondering if it's got the sealing and reliability to handle longer endurance events on trails and withstand typical contamination in bad weather, etc. versus road usage.

Freedom Isn't Free

Garmin 705 compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by MichauxYeti
    Ugh. Powertap SL 2.4 disc + Powertap SL 2.4 + Garmin Edge 705 = expensive.
    I didn't think a 705 would work w/proprietary PowerTap signal...

I just hope you can get a PT disc hub for less if you already have the computer/HRM strap. Not that I can afford one anytime soon anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I hope it works better then the PT SL 2.4 I had on my roadbike. The wireless unit would loose coms with the PT computer at least 5 times a ride..and always when I was doing my high intensity efforts (when it counts the most).. nothing like trying to do 3x 10m at 350w and looking down and seeing "- - -"
    I ended up selling it on ebay and switched back to my old PT Pro wired wheel.
    Although I would love to have a PT for my Mtb races

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The new Garmin 705 supposedly works with the SL 2.4 PowerTaps now. I think they call it the ANT+ feature. Talk about ride information overload.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=10885

mtbr member
    There are some more photos of the PT on Speedgoat's blog. The disc brake rotor mount looks a bit industrial. I'm still hopeful that it will come in at the advertised weight of 680 grams with the rotor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just ordered on of these. Supposedly, it will be here by early April. Let's see how it stacks up to my SRMs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    where did you order from? i called Saris this week and they said they were not taking orders b/c the unit has not gone to manufacturing yet. and they said they had no "wait list" going yet either.