mtbr member
    Jan 2004

PowerTap for MTB or ligher Wheelset

Hi guys.

I have a dilemma here...I have the opportunity to buy a MTB powertap hub.

I already have a PT on my road bike and I do 70% of my training per week with it...Should I buy a PT for the MTB or just a ligher wheelset for racing/training...(I can drop 400grams of weight from the current set).?

Thanks a lot guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    could you please, elaborate more that answer?

thanks

mtbr member
    Lighter wheels.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    could you please, elaborate more that answer?

thanks
    If 70% of your training is done on your road bike anyway, it wouldn't make a huge difference in your training. 400 grams of rotating mass is a descent amount for a race wheelset. I would think your race performance would benefit more from the lighter wheels

Of course, if you are just a data junky, then the PT is the way to go.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I used a PT on a cross bike a couple years ago as I wanted to avoid doing so much road riding mostly due to safety concerns. I found I was able to replicate the loads of my usual road intervals on grass courses if I selected them carefully. For the most part it was not real exciting sorts of courses though. When I rode the bike on singletrack, the readings were so jumpy that they did not really tell me much and by putting a linear value like an average on the jumpy data it suggested more precision than the data supported, i.e. the standard deviation was really high

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    400g is almost a full pound of rotating mass.

Do you have a coach that looks at your daily power files? If so it *might* be beneficial, but wouldn't be a deal breaker since only 30% of your training is on dirt anyway. I've raced with my MTB power tap and it definitely slows me down (in racing) a LOT. It's interesting to have the info 1-2 a year, but the race wheelset could be beneficial to you at all of your big(ger) races.

I'd still train with your heav(ier) wheelset, though. Save the light wheelset for racing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks a lot david!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How much time do you spend doing analysis of your PT data currently? If you (or your coach) really get into it and are able to mine meaningful data that you use to design/augment your training/race plans then a PT wheel on the mtb might be a very good thing. If it's more of a neat toy and you don't really take the time to analyse the data however, you'll get more mileage out of a lighter wheelset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    With the 70/30 ratio of road training to mtb training, I agree to go with the lighter wheelset. One point mentioned above that I think is important is the usefulness of the powertap on technical trails. Where I live, where 90% of the riding is on singletrack (technical trails or tight and twisty trails), a power tap on the mountain bike is of little value. I can't even do intervals on the mountain bike because the trails don't allow the sustained hard effort. For example, there is no way I could ride 4 to 6 by 4 minutes at zone 4 power on our trails. I stick to the road bike for that stuff.