mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Powertap Hub and their lifetime

I am interested in buying a Powertap Hub to be used on a mt. bike. In your experience, how long do these hubs last? How much does it cost to replace the strain guages? I will be riding through some creek bottoms, will the hub be affected?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They have a pretty good life time, i have had a one for years. Might want to look at a stages power meter too.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Mine lasted 1.5yrs (1200mi) before going bad. Keep in mind that a rebuild is going to cost nearly $400 ($350 for the rebuild + shipping both ways).

IMO, I would have just sucked it up and bought an SRM had I known my Powertap was going to go bad so quickly, I have nearly the same amount of money invested as if I would have bought an SRM. I'm dreading the day I have to send it back to Saris and fork over a bunch more cash.

I would recommend looking at Power2max, Stages or SRM for power on a mountain bike.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That is unfortunate. Just as a FYI I have had less then positive experiences with SRM. You have to send them back to get the batteries replaced and that is expensive.

Power meters are still hit and miss. Have a stages power meter right now. So far so good but not enough time to give any long term durability.

Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    Mine lasted 1.5yrs (1200mi) before going bad. Keep in mind that a rebuild is going to cost nearly $400 ($350 for the rebuild + shipping both ways).

IMO, I would have just sucked it up and bought an SRM had I known my Powertap was going to go bad so quickly, I have nearly the same amount of money invested as if I would have bought an SRM. I'm dreading the day I have to send it back to Saris and fork over a bunch more cash.

I would recommend looking at Power2max, Stages or SRM for power on a mountain bike.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member

Powertap Hub and their lifetime

Powertap have been dropping some heavy hints that they're going to be releasing an updated Powertap MTB hub with DT Swiss star ratchet internals, 142x12mm axle and XX1 freehub as original options. It sounds like it may be released sometime towards the end of this year.

The older style hubs tend to last about a year or so before needing repairs, either new hub bearings or a new torque tube. They're quite heavy too. I'd consider something like the Stages power meter or try and hold on for the new MTB Powertap hub with DT Swiss internals if possible.

"The GS hubs will feature lots of DT Swiss hardware, including the axles, bearings, star ratchet, freehub body, end caps, and straight-pull flange. The front hub is essentially a stock 240s DT Swiss model.

What DT Swiss hubs mean for mountain bikes and disc brakes

PowerTap’s move to DT Swiss hub internals will undoubtedly be a boon for durability and perceived quality, but the collaboration could also have big implications for the power meter company’s stagnant mountain bike range, given the new engineering resources.

The biggest challenge to integrating a disc mount on any PowerTap hub has always been working around the large-diameter electronics cap, which, on the latest G3 and GS hub, houses the battery, wireless transmitter, and micro-USB port for updating the firmware. As a result, PowerTap’s current mountain bike hub relies on a proprietary two-piece rotor and is limited to a 160mm diameter.

PowerTap product manager Jesse Bartholomew told BikeRadar that the company is already working on a new disc-compatible model based on the GS, with the same DT Swiss star ratchet internals, axle, and bearings.

This also means instant SRAM XX1 XD driver body compatibility and implies a wide range of axle fitments for both quick-release and thru-axle applications. Riders seeking a faster engagement speed would also have the option of installing DT Swiss 36-tooth ratchet rings.

Coupled with the already available 11-speed freehub bodies, this means PowerTap’s upcoming new disc hub could find use on disc-equipped road and cyclocross bikes, as well as mountain bikes.

Bartholomew said he expects that the new hub will still rely on a proprietary rotor interface. However, the design isn’t finalized, so we're still hoping for a disc-specific electronics cap and standard six-bolt rotor compatibility.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/a...-meter--38163/

Powertap GS road hub showing the new DT Swiss star ratchet internals

mtbr member
    I posted the durability question earlier this year on RBR for road PTs. I've had my road PT for four seasons before it went bad, and that was on the high side of durability. Most people went 2-3 seasons. Many got lucky and had there's go out before the 1 year warranty.

Like Wetpaint, I also paid for a rebuild but they wound up just lacing a new SL hub to my existing spokes and rim. Nice but probably not the best practice since they used the old spokes. But with lots of additional wheel truings, it managed to make it through this season.

But I also had to pay for a Computer upgrade since my yellow 1st generation computer (yeah, I'm old school) was not compatible with the new hub (ANT+). But that should not be an issue now with all the new standard being spread over all these computers (Garmin, Cycloops, etc. and maybe eventually smart phones) as well as devices.

but no matter what, a PT is going to cost lots of money it seems. For first investment and maintenance.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Power meters are still hit and miss.
    This about sums it up for me too. My SRM is great but I have had troubles getting the magnet mounted properly. My Stages avoids that problem (no external magnet needed) but I have had some power spikes (however they are fixing this with new software releases) and some battery issues (fortunately batteries are cheap for the Stages! Also, their customer support has been great).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    That is unfortunate. Just as a FYI I have had less then positive experiences with SRM. You have to send them back to get the batteries replaced and that is expensive.

Power meters are still hit and miss. Have a stages power meter right now. So far so good but not enough time to give any long term durability.
    I've had good luck with road SRM, I usually change my own batteries though. It was 4+ years old this year and a reed switch went bad, they still warrantied the switch and I'm the second owner.

Yeah, I'm pretty disapointed with Powertap. They replaced it with G3 internals and the zero offset is already creeping up from 514 new to 522 6 months later. 524 is the limit of the acceptable range. When I called them, whoever was on the phone basically blew me off and said I'm sure we'll probably cover it under warranty if it goes bad next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I posted the durability question earlier this year on RBR for road PTs. I've had my road PT for four seasons before it went bad, and that was on the high side of durability. Most people went 2-3 seasons. Many got lucky and had there's go out before the 1 year warranty.
    Poncharelli,

I would like to see this post, what does RBR stand for? or do you have a link?

As for everyone else, Thanks for all the info, it is just what I was looking for.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstorjoh View Post
    Poncharelli,

I would like to see this post, what does RBR stand for? or do you have a link?

As for everyone else, Thanks for all the info, it is just what I was looking for.
    Here's the actual thread.
    How many seasons did your powertap last?

The RBR search function wasn't finding it, but found it through my own account page.
    www.utahmtb.org

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I have the G3 pt and my batteries keep dying. The last battery lasted about 1 month.

No idea why? Anyone??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I have the G3 pt and my batteries keep dying. The last battery lasted about 1 month.

No idea why? Anyone??
    Hub battery or head unit battery?

I had problems with the Joule computer battery not lasting. Updating the firmware solved the problem.
    www.utahmtb.org

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Hub battery or head unit battery?

I had problems with the Joule computer battery not lasting. Updating the firmware solved the problem.
    Hub battery dies.

mtbr member
    I'm sure this doesn't help but I had a battery issue with my Stages. It was burning through batteries about every 5 hours (fortunately the batteries it uses are relatively inexpensive). We never could figure it out. Stages ended up swapping it out for a new unit. Great customer service. I assume it was some sort of electronic thing??

mtbr member
    Hub battery dies.
    That's not good. Call customer service ASAP and get that hub replaced. My last battery lasted 6 months at least (not a G3, but SL hub). It uses the same CR2032 battery.
    www.utahmtb.org

mtbr member

No idea why? Anyone??
    Do you have the latest firmware installed? Powertap shipped my hub out with an old version on the firmware so it gave a low battery warning on the first ride. I updated the firmware and haven't gotten a lower battery warning since.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by wetpaint View Post
    Do you have the latest firmware installed? Powertap shipped my hub out with an old version on the firmware so it gave a low battery warning on the first ride. I updated the firmware and haven't gotten a lower battery warning since.
    I need to update the firmware I guess... Thing is...I never had this issue for the first 6 months or so. Now, it seems monthly that the battery needs replacing. Same firmware since day 1. Interesting..

Also, where does the "low battery warning" show up? I use the Garmin 500 and have never seen this.

mtbr member
    The low battery warning was on my 800