mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Post new bike setup soreness

So I had a profit done on my current ride a week and a half ago. I told the fitter that I am more interested in having my bike dialed for xc with emphasis on climbing. So my seat went up a centimeter and aft almost 2 centimeter. I went from being ride over the pedal spindles to about 2cm behind. Now after 3 rides, 2 mild and the most recent a serious 2 hour ride with a lot of climbing, my low back, hamstrings and calves have been on fire. I could hardle move. The most recent ride sidelined me for a day and a half. I spent two hours with a theracane trying to get the knots out of my legs. The next day I was still sore. Now 2 days later I am starting to feel normal again. I know that a change in position can be an adjustement to the body, but is it normal to be this sore after every ride...almost two weeks now? I am scared to get back on the bike! When should I expect to feel good again? I could ride all day on my old setup even raced all year. What gives. Any incites would be great. Ciao.

MTB B'dos
    Yes changing your bike setup by what seems like that small amount is actually a huge change and can cause muscles that haven't really worked to get overloaded.

Gradual is the key, I think.....I say bring the saddle forward 1cm for now and see how that feels, then ride it like that for a few weeks and let you legs and body get acustomed to it. Then try taking it back 1cm so that it's back at the 2cm movement position you now have and give it a try.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Im laughing but I have sympathy as Ive been down that road before. I did an 8 hour in shocking wet and muddy conditions and the drive train on my bike lunched itself so I had to borrow a demo cannondale to finish the last half of the race. Man, was I sore afterward. Whenever I get a new bike, Im sore but I just start off a bit easier and gradually build up my rides on it. That includes distance and intensity so I don't get too sore. If you recover well, you should be good to go in just a few rides with no more soreness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ...thanks for the advice. I thought of doing just...moving the saddle forward a cm and maybe even drop the it down a cm. I noticed that the saddle height was perfect when I could keep perfect form..you know not rocking the hips. Good form is easy on the pavement but when in comes to dirt, whole differnt story. I think for now I will go get a massage and start all over in a day or two.

mtbr member
    I had the same kind of thing when I first rode my newly built up Giant XTC. It didn't half hurt after the first ride. A few rides later though and I was soon used to it, and now have no problems at all. These days, I always take a note of all my measurements, so when I get a new bike, I can set it up the same in relation to seat height and saddle position.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes gradually even down to 1/8 inch moves. But also stretch out, I went from 170 to 175 cranks and I took my three weeks to get stretch out enough. (no middle ground there).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    .. so how often do/did you guys make adjustments? Every ride, other ride, once a week?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am more like once a month.

Firstly my bike is in a constant state of wearing out, so I have to figure out whether something is broke or worn.

Secondly I am getting better (fitness and skill), so I want to move in a direction that will help the stuff I am lagging in.

Thirdly I want to see if the changes I made actually do what they were supposed to do.

I guess I was lucky when I bought the bike it fitt pretty damn good. (except the saddle), and the LBS was right there for me.

mtbr member
    Im lucky enough to have a very knowlegeable & experienced guy to set me up to the mm. Once Im dialled in, I don't change it one bit. I keep all my bikes settings as close as possible to each other.

mtbr member
    bah, just change it up to what feels most comfortable and swallow the pain like a man, dammit

Members who have read this thread: 0