20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frame

6 30.00%
  • Wheels

14 70.00%
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Poll: Carbon frame or carbon wheels?

I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade my current frame (aluminum Giant Anthem) to a carbon frame (Turner or Pivot, most likely). I'll be doing racing and some general trail riding on it. Just seeing what people's opinions are from a race standpoint - if you had the option to upgrade either frame or wheels, which would you do (as an FYI, my current wheelset is a stock Stan's Crest with ZTR hubs)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Having tried both FS frames and hardtail frames in Alloy and Carbon. I would pick Carbon wheels on either platform. The frame material matters some. Wheels and the stiffness matters a lot more. It will give you a far better idea of what your tires are doing then Crest wheels. The feel of additional stiffness in quick change of direction was huge.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Wheels. Always wheels first. Carbon hoops will totally improve tracking/steering and acceleration will improve if you drop rotating weight.

mtbr member
    Wheels will make the biggest difference. Depending on where you live, you'll have to worry about rocks damaging a carbon frame

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the input guys! Still undecided, but this pushes me more towards some carbon wheels, so that'll probably be my choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Poll: Carbon frame or carbon wheels?

I got both but I demoed the aluminum pivot. Honestly I didn't notice much difference between the carbon frame vs aluminum. Carbon wheels vs aluminum is a very noticeable upgrade though.

The only advantage for the carbon frame is its harder (more expensive) to replace. So if down the road you decide you want to upgrade one of the things, upgrading the wheels is cheaper and easier.