mtbr member

Please stop me ripping the gears off my new bike

I'm picking up a Commencal Skin 1 this week. It'll be my race bike next summer. Thing is, I have singlespeeded EVERY hardtail I have ever owned. The temptation is just too great- durability, efficiency, fun. Beauty. I've raced SS about 50% of the time and done pretty good too.

And yet, I know I'll be faster geared. The Commencal's pretty light already and I'd be left with a pile of blinging drivetrain to sell/let fester. It's about time I maximised my potential.

This is keeping me awake at night.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by pressendye

And yet, I know I'll be faster geared.

This is keeping me awake at night.
    One would think so, but that's not always the case. Last year I experimented with riding a 26" HT for a month to see if I could ride faster than on a 29'er rigid singlespeed. Best I could do was equal the speed of the singlespeed.
    I just revisited that experiment this time with a geared 29'er HT and found the same still to be true (just took the gears back off my bike last night).
    I fully acknowledge my test results only apply to my specific strengths, weaknesses and riding style; for me gears aren't faster.

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    I agree with the above post... after years of riding and racing gears on fancy carbon duallies, I sold them all and switched to a steel SS. Been on that for a couple years, and I still ride with the same people I did before. I do lose a bit on the flattish downhills, but if it's steep down or flat trail I'm right there and when the trail goes upwards the geared riders aren't gonna see anything but my hindquarters. If you like SS, why not just go for it? As one pro racer told me this year on a hard training ride, "do you know how demoralizing it is to see someone in front of you with ONE GEAR?" Sorry, I'm not going to stop you from ripping those derailleurs and extra cogs off.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Cool. That's why I posted this on the racing rather than the single speed forum. I wanted to get a balanced perspective. Tipping towards ss then... off out to the shed to rummage for a road derailleur....

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by pressendye
    Cool. That's why I posted this on the racing rather than the single speed forum. I wanted to get a balanced perspective. Tipping towards ss then... off out to the shed to rummage for a road derailleur....
    LOL!
    I don't now if I'd call two replies balanced!
    But by all means, rip away!

mtbr member
    I know.... If someone came on and posted that I was insane and what I should really do is fit an 11 speed road group, then I'd probably do that instead. Quite sad.