mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Please Help With My Cadance RPM

I just completed my first 24 hour 5 team member race. I'm running a 1 x 10 set up and felt much more exhausted on the climbs becasue of it. After reviewing my Garman data my cadance dropped to the mid 20's for some of the short steep climbs. From my inexperianced racing knowlwdge this seems to be very low. I was thinking of going with a 2 x10 to increase my spinning and help with my lap times.

I am a cat 2 mid to front pack finisher who is planning to do alot of racing and continued training this season.

Also my one knee was very fatiqued and stiff. After the race i went to an orthopedic Sports Dr to have it looked at. He said I probably over worked it and recommended I have to fluid drained and some cortisone put in. I'm not a young gun (50) so I need to be in tune with my body more than the young guns.

what are your opinions with my spinning cadance?

Mojo

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Stand and hammer is generally 50 to 60 rpm.....Sit and spin is usually 70 to 90 rpm...

Get enough range on your gear set to maintain these RPM...

I am 53 I climb everything in 2nd ring and granny...32/34..( I guess that is what defines a climb for me)..I rest using granny granny 22/34....I can spin out 46/11...

To climb the very steepest I use granny and 2nd 22/30.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    I'm running a 1 x 10 set up and felt much more exhausted on the climbs because of it.
    Also my one knee was very fatigued and stiff.
    1x10 and singlespeed setups are fashionable at the moment but their usefulness varies depending upon where you ride. If the hills are too steep to ride up comfortably in your bottom gear then they aren't really an appropriate choice. If you spend a lot of time pedalling hard at low cadences then it puts increased strain on your knees. Increased strain on your knees is a bad thing because it can lead to injuries.

With a bad knee in particular you're better off aiming for a higher cadence. Choose gearing that lets you get up the hills at 75+ rpm if possible. Too much grinding in big gears is likely to aggravate your knee. The aim of gears on a bike is to use them so that you're always in the correct gear for particular situations. The correct gear is the one that allows you to pedal comfortably whilst still producing high levels of torque. If you run out of gears, such as in this race where you needed a lower gear, then you should change the bike's gearing until you have the correct gearing fitted for the terrain that you ride. Either fit a double or triple chainring, or try a wider ratio 11-36 cassette so that you have some lower climbing gears available.

Cortisone injections have advantages and disadvantages. Have a look at the five pages of this article about Cortisone injections:

http://www.medicinenet.com/cortisone...on/article.htm

For your knee you need to rest it for a while first to see if it recovers by itself. You could try icing the knee also.

Something that I've been doing as a post ride routine for the last few years is to rub arnica anti-inflammatory cream into my feet, ankles, knees, hips and lower back immediately after having a shower. It seems to work quite well for reducing post ride joint soreness. My knees in particular always feel better for doing it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/natures-kiss...elief-rub-90g/