mtbr member
    May 2010

Plastic Cassette Guard

So the guard on your cassette between spokes and cassette. ditch it or leave it for racing? whats your take?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Ditch it .

mtbr member
    depends on your personal mechanical abilities. If you know how to set your derailleur so it never will allow the chain to go that far, then you can ditch it. But i've seen plenty of inexperienced types with their chain going off the inside, and if you have a pricey light weight wheel, could cause some damage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Kind of like reflectors, it doesn't do any harm to have it on, but the cool kids take them off.

Learn to set your limit screws before removing it.

mtbr member
    Ditch it. I had one on my SLR's that somehow got bent and wedged in the cassette, causing it to not freewheel. BIG problem as it would throw slack in the chain anytime I stopped pedaling. That happened the day before a race, and luckily not during the race.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

SSOD
    Ditch it like a fat chick on the handlebars

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Leave it on there.

And then GO KICK THEIR BACKSIDES !!

Nothing so sweet as being a sleeper geek.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hysteriamk2
    So the guard on your cassette between spokes and cassette. ditch it or leave it for racing? whats your take?

If you drop your chain between the cassette and the wheel often leave it on. If not save the weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My cassette guard broke during a race, probably should have checked it before the race, but i didn't. Since then I have never considered putting a cassette guard on. Just make sure that the derailleur limits are set correctly.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emryium
    My cassette guard broke during a race, probably should have checked it before the race, but i didn't. Since then I have never considered putting a cassette guard on. Just make sure that the derailleur limits are set correctly.

That's one of the best reasons to remove them , they usually wind up on the trail .

mtbr member
    Might it save your spokes IF you were to bend a hanger( unbeknownst to yourself during a ride/race) enough to make the upper/inner DR limit irrelevant?

mtbr member
    Always take mine off--very quickly--it just looks cheezy. Never had an issue with it for 20 years. (Then again, I'm a former shop mechanic, so getting derailleur settings/limits correct is not a big deal for me.)
    -

Addictive website!

TwoWheelTweets.com

All of cycling's twitter tweets in one place!

-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    Might it save your spokes IF you were to bend a hanger( unbeknownst to yourself during a ride/race) enough to make the upper/inner DR limit irrelevant?
    Maybe.

What usually happens with a bent derailleur hanger is that the cage of the derailleur will clip the spokes. If this is the case then the plastic protector won't help unless it's big enough to cover that much of the spokes. Most I've seen aren't that big as they're just there to catch the chain falling off the top sprocket.

rth009
    May 2010
    It seems to me that a dork disc might also keep the cassette cleaner because dirt and gunk cant come in from the backside. Any truth to this?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    If you know how to keep your rear der. dialed in, then take that thing off immediately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    If you know how to keep your rear der. dialed in, then take that thing off immediately.

If you don't know how to dial in your rear deraileur, learn how. One screw limits the outward throw, the other stops inward. Not rocket science.

mtbr member

Little Plastic Thingy -

AKA the Dork Disc!!
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009
    It seems to me that a dork disc might also keep the cassette cleaner because dirt and gunk cant come in from the backside. Any truth to this?
    There may be some truth to it, but it's not enough reason to keep that ugly thing dangling about on your nice new cycle.

Remove it immediately. The shop should've set your limit screws if they are worth their salt.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

TXTony
    Ditch it...

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I take mine off because I'm far too proud for my own good.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I keep a spare in my jersey.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009
    Actually traps dirt and you can't clean it a easily