mtbr member

pedal bob while in lockout

I'll post this here as I ride and have my bike setup for XC, I have an 05 Trek Fuel EX8 with the remote lockout. After much tweeking, I like the suspension settings but riding home from the trails on the roads I get insane pedal bob in the rear shock, Roxshox MC3, in lockout? front shock is great, stiffens up allowing about 3/4" travel but the rear is bobbing almost the full travel. The handlebar lockout does have cables that go to the front and rear shocks. Is the rear lockout not working or do I not understand what it does? Any help is appreciated

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If your rear shock has a lockout feature and it is engaged, there should be no to very little shock movement.

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's what I thought, I'll try disconnecting the cable going to the rear shock and manually closing the lockout valve, I figure it's a cable adjustment or the valve on the shock

mtbr member
    I also think there should be minimal bob when pedaling in the saddle if the shock has a pro pedal platform (I thought the MC3 has it). I have the 2004 Trek Fuel 98 and the bob in the back is minimal and I never lock it out. The pedal platform works very well for me.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

MTB B'dos

Need more details.

If you can give more details maybe we can give better help? Seriously 'cause a friend of mine has a EX7 w/out the remote and his shock works very well unless he forgets to check pressures and keep it aired up to the proper pressure. How much SAG have you got the shock set at? Should be at roughly 9mm / 20% total shock stroke. What's your rider weight and what PSI are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel
    ..........After much tweeking, I like the suspension settings but riding home from the trails on the roads I get insane pedal bob in the rear shock, Roxshox MC3, in lockout?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sorry! I should have included a major point that the extreme pedal bob is only when I'm pedaling out of the saddle. The only time I stand is on road hills or attempting to hammer over the top otherwise it is really minimal. I'm 165lbs w/ the psi at 110 rear and 100 front. Setup is great otherwise and if "that's just the way it is" I will live.

MTB B'dos

You will get Bob while standing.......

.............however with the MC3 in the lockout position you shouldn't be getting bob. How do you have the MC setup on the MC3? In lamens terms how do you have the knob ontop set? This is the same as the MC knob on the REBA and effects how much force it takes to effect the MC into action. Pressures sound about right, so check the MC knob.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel
    Sorry! I should have included a major point that the extreme pedal bob is only when I'm pedaling out of the saddle. The only time I stand is on road hills or attempting to hammer over the top otherwise it is really minimal. I'm 165lbs w/ the psi at 110 rear and 100 front. Setup is great otherwise and if "that's just the way it is" I will live.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, I don't think I saw that adjustment, where's it located I'll loook again, FYI I have the Gate at 50% and the rebound about 60% toward slow

Members who have read this thread: 0