Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Paleo diet - I use to be suspect....

Im not one of those people who believes everything i read. But I did notice that joel freil and other top mountain bike folks have been doing the paleo. I honestly thought it was B.S. But i have been stuck at 185 pounds for 6 months. Started the paleo and in 1 and a half months ago and now am down to 177. My recovery time has really improve, and my race times have gotten 15% better. The first couple of weeks sucked, but its really starting to kick in. I was a skeptic, now im a beleiver! Anyone else with this kind of luck?

mtbr member
    I learned about the Paleo diet on the Road bike forum, I believe. I think it's a great diet and has kept me pretty lean. Been following it loosely for about 6 years.

A program on NPR I was listening to had a food expert, and he talked about his philosophy which goes like this:
    -The food triangle should be eliminated and replaced with a food line
    -One end of the line is "processed foods"
    -The other end is "unprocessed foods"

Try to stay on the unprocessed side.

That seems pretty simple, and a good rule of thumb to apply to any diet.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Same here, I have been following it (more or less) for years, too. I just do not share their paranoia for dairy and fat. However, it's been easy for me since I do not tolerate wheat products very well. If you haven't read it yet you should get their athletes book

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Too. Much. Meat. For a vegetarian anyway!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep, I started the Paleo diet in 2007, and it's worked very well for me. I ride and race noticeably better when I'm following it closely than when I'm not.

I'd also recommend "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" if you don't already have it.
    - Keith

My blog: Chainline

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Any time you eliminate a class of food from hour diet you will eat a little less. If it's junk food (refined carbs) you've eliminated, so much the better. Stone age people didn't eat corn/soybean/hormone fed meat, so if you're really eating paleo, you are eating wild fish and game or not eating much meat.That's would also good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Been doing "athlete modified" Paleo for over a year now and the results have been nothing short of spectacular. Dropped weight, less food cravings, more energy, faster times, quicker recovery, less stomach issues and just feel better all around.

I still do some grains (rice, quinoa, oats), dairy, potatoes and beans. While not "optimal" food according to the strict paleo diet, I feel these foods are the only way to provide the extra carbs needed for heavy training phases. But the majority of my diet is minimally processed meat, veggies, fruit and nuts.

The biggest thing for me was eliminating gluten grains which, in retrospect, i was mildly allergic to. I don't miss bread or pasta or other wheat flour-based foods at all - in fact they make me slightly queasy just thinking about them and the resulting stomach problems I used to get from eating that crap.

mtbr member
    What do you use in place of bread?
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey

Fruit and vegetables. Also, with an increase in meat you body will adapt to use fat more efficiently as a fuel source. I personally believe a lot of cyclists or other endurance athletes rely on carbohydrates too much. I think a performance diet should be based more on body type and ability to handle carbs. Switching to a different diet that matches your body type might feel weird at first, but when your body adapts you'll see your fat drop, your muscle increase, and your performance go up as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey
    Paleo for athletes you can eat bread, pasta, rice, bagel, right after training or a race (only), preferable within 30 minutes. Google = trainingbible paleo for athlets cliff notes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have been (mostly) following "The Paleo Diet For Athletes" for the better part of 3 years, with GREAT results to my weight. My biggest surprise was the disappearance of morning joint stiffness. While I may not ready for twice a day 3-4 hour MTB rides day after day, now at least I only have a memory of the previous ride and not a hunched limping gait for hours or days afterward.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I guess I question how beans, rice, etc... can be bad for you? I'm sure there are people that tolerate better than others but these are natural foods. I'm very interested in this and plan on getting the book this week to learn more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Beans have mild toxins called lectins which need to be reduced by soaking or fermentation. Gluten grains are mildly toxic to many people as well. Not sure about rice but the main complaint against legumes and grains from the paleo perspective is that humans did not bother with them until relatively modern technology allowed for mass production, harvesting, storage and processing. In other words we evolved largely in the absence of starchy foods (except for roots) and considering the medical harm caused by highly processed starch foods, there is no reason to conclude they are optimal. That is what the paleo diet is about - selecting the optimal foods by mimicking the dietary trends of our pre-agricutural ancestors. Not to say that beans, rice and grains are BAD per-se, just that they are not optimal when compared to fruits, veggies, nuts and meats.

mtbr member
    Paleo diet?
    So easy a caveman could do it.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    I bought the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes" about a year ago and plowed thorugh it in a single evening. I dropped 30 pounds (went from 255 to 225) in 3 months and have maintained between 225 and 230 since then. The big thing for me is that I have actually become stronger both in the weight room and on the bike. Very rarely am I sore after a workout and am able to get into it again the next day. Definitely give this book a closer look if you are interested in nutrition side of your training.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I consider myself a self taught expert on these matters, infact I'm writing a book on it!

essentially what you are doing is eating less carbs, this raises your cortisol levels and sex hormone levels. Which, naturally makes you a better athlete.

HOWEVER

there are people out there that will do better on a higher carb (still crap free) version of the paleo. As the raised cortisol can make people sick, very sick, infact lets not get into the mind bender of how to make them unsick. Its Not Easy.

My advice, play around with your level of carbs in your diet whilst keeping it paleo and see what works best. Also Avoid potatos, eat african yams instead for carbs, why? domestic potatoes contain a chemical that'll give you heart palpitations in high doses, and make your performance suffer in low doses.

there are some of us out there that need high carb, others that need high protein. Myself, I need high carb, without it all hell breaks lose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob@adrenalfuel
    I consider myself a self taught expert on these matters, infact I'm writing a book on it! ....
    there are some of us out there that need high carb, others that need high protein. Myself, I need high carb, without it all hell breaks lose.
    Look forward to seeing the book - got any details yet?

And I while I agree that carb needs are variable, I think it really depends on the timing and periodization. If I am in the build phase cranking out three or four hard workouts a week and racing on the weekends, i can't get enough carbs.. If I'm base training or resting, carb intake is moderate to low. Its all about timing - big carb meal right after tough workouts, med/low carb paleo diet the rest of the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by perrygeo
    Look forward to seeing the book - got any details yet?

And I while I agree that carb needs are variable, I think it really depends on the timing and periodization. If I am in the build phase cranking out three or four hard workouts a week and racing on the weekends, i can't get enough carbs.. If I'm base training or resting, carb intake is moderate to low. Its all about timing - big carb meal right after tough workouts, med/low carb paleo diet the rest of the time.

oh man, if i read all your secrets online i might catch up to you on course!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    No details as of yet, its currently being planned. The difficulty is the angle to take on it so that it is sale-able. my knowledge lies with the medical aspects rather than the athletics side, though if I find significant interest I mind research deeper into the athletics side and write on that also. I race myself so do know a little from the first hand experience of using my own techniques. What surprised me myself, as a sick person (who avoids eating grains) racing against perfectly healthy people I did rather well, specially considering I race enduros. My best placing was over the summer. 2 hour enduro with 150riders in my category, placed 14th. Not bad for a person who at the time had some serious kidney pain and rode 90% of the race with the saddle slammed down (god love gravity droppers) riding standing up. Would have thought I'd have came last in those circumstances

but back to the science

The important thing, is to cut out the grains. The main topic of my medical book is the immune system response to grains, we haven't evolved to eat grains so the immune system treats them as a foreign invader and attacks. The level of attack will varies considerably from person to person, some have medically recognized diseases that can be attributed to it, I expect most of the people certainly won't fall into the category of being medically affected by it. But it may well impede their performance. The immune attack in the gut creates toxins in various forms that'll slow you up.
    If your quite aware of yourself and had it quite bad you'd find that you actually felt fitter, and faster at the end of a 1 or 2 hour ride than before as you'd have sweat out a lot of the toxins that had settled in your body.

I think I'll stop there as I'm throwing out some really wack ideas without proper explanation so no doubt sound like a bit of a Wacko mad scientist. You'd be half right if you thought that!

If there's demand on here for more, and properly explained views such as the above I'll type out a small introductory peace and see how its received. Got nil time at the moment though

So back to pondering whether its faster riding 2.1" racing ralphs out of the saddle or 2.2 mountain kings in the saddle...

Rob

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ok, anyone who has started this...

I think I have seen Friel or someone else advise to start this diet with breakfast for a few weeks then add lunch for a couple weeks then transition to full on Paleo. Any thoughts on whether to jump into this headlong or do a slow transition from your regular diet?

*eating pizza rolls as i type this by the way

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I jumped in stomach first on January 1st a few years ago. The plan was to just go PALEO for 31 days strict with only, a little crap, on the weekends. Once I got a copy of the Paleo diet for Athletes late that January, I have 'tried' to live that one since.

My results for the 30 days was a drop of 40+ lbs with more disappearing over the next few months. Anytime I can live this food lifestyle I lose weight.

Good Luck anyway you try it. Hopefully it works for you.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How does having a higher cortisol level help you as an athlete? Is it the anti-inflammatory effects of it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    Ok, anyone who has started this...

I think I have seen Friel or someone else advise to start this diet with breakfast for a few weeks then add lunch for a couple weeks then transition to full on Paleo. Any thoughts on whether to jump into this headlong or do a slow transition from your regular diet?

*eating pizza rolls as i type this by the way
    Jump straight into it! I jumped full boar into it. I raced 5 days after I started the diet and I totally bonked in the race. It takes 3-4 weeks to adjust, so if you dont have any more races the next month jump into it!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kopid03
    How does having a higher cortisol level help you as an athlete? Is it the anti-inflammatory effects of it?
    it doesn't so much, it alters the balance of other hormones that do aid performance

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ponch, I think you heard Michael Pollan on NPR. The Pollan mantra, which kind of boils down the paleo diet...

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast