mtbr member
    Sep 2009

organizing a race event

I know this forum is for racing and training, so if this is not the correct spot for my post please let me know and i'll move it!

So I'd really like to organize a triathlon event in my town. We have a nice stretch of rail trail, a lake, and obviously roads connecting everywhere. I have attached a google maps overhead view of the tentative course. I'd like to ask here though, what would be the correct steps in trying to make this happen? I'd like to work with the town parks and rec. dept, as they organize a footrace once a year so they have some experience with doing these types of events.

I'd also like to ask for any input as to lengths of each leg. I am planning on it being a charity event so I want as big a turn out as possible, and attract both competitive and "for-fun" people.

And lastly, what would an appropriate registration fee be? I was thinking somewhere in the area of $30, which would cover insurance, a t shirt, any race supplies, and maybe $10-15 towards the charity that we pick to benefit.

I'd love to hear any input or suggestions on this! thanks alot

I know the map is very crude i just through it together. would start at a lot biking down the rail trail, then back to the rec center, swim across lake, then run back around to lake to end at the rec center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails organizing a race event-goffstown-triathalon-map.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sounds like this is your first time planning a race? Are you going to affiliate with USAC? XTerra? USAT? What is going to draw people to your race? Points? (requires affiliation) Schwag? Great course?

For your questions on price etc: You'll have fixed cost (facility rental such as parks etc, officials pay, promotion etc) You can calculate that up front. Then estimate the number of entries and figure out how many people have to come to break even. The lower the cost, the more people will show. But, you need to fund the things that will motivate people to get to your event.

Are there other events in your area? It was going to cost me 3x the entry fee in licensing to do a local Xterra.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!