mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Options, options...what's your take?

I broke the main frame on my '11 OCLV Trek Superfly 100. Trek warrantied the main frame.

Now the question: Should I just throw on the old carbon chain/seat stays or should I purchase new ones from Trek? They are crazy expensive: $900 for the set!!! They will give me the "crashed" discount making them $720 if I send the old stuff back to them.

If the thing doesn't blow up, I had intended to ride it not only the rest of this season, but possibly next too. Or maybe I should just spring from a new bike after this season. Any thoughts?

ups and downs
    Any reason to assume that you damaged the chain/seat stays in the incident that killed the main frame? Was it Trek's decision after inspection that indicated you didn't need new suspension bits? Or the LBS?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey rockyuphill, The chainstays and seatstays are not damaged. The main frame cracked on the seat tube just below the gusset. Trek said it was a manufacturing defect. The bike was not wrecked.

My question is whether it is worth having an essentially new frame for an extra $720? This bike frame has about 5K miles on it now. All bike frames and parts have a life span; nothing lasts forever!

I had hoped to get a bit more out of it. I am considering a Rocky Mountain Element 999RSL for next season. But I had wanted to develop that bike next winter.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member

Options, options...what's your take?

If the carbon swingarm isn't damaged I'd keep using it. A cracked main frame due to a manufacturing defect shouldn't have any impact on the safety of the swingarm, which is a separate component.

If you'd broken the frame in a big crash then you'd maybe be wary of re-using parts from it in case of hidden damage. That doesn't seem to be the case though.

If the warranty frame is a different colour to the original carbon swingarm you might consider swapping it for aesthetic reasons, although it wouldn't make any difference to how the bike rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the responses to my question WR304 & rockyuphill. My mechanic rebuilt the bike today with the old stays. In the end, I am glad not have forked out more money for new stays. I will ride the **** out of this bike and if something else fails, all the better not have spent more into it.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Interesting that they are carbon, on my 2012 they are aluminum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Surfdog93,

All 2012 (and earlier) Trek OCLV Superfly 100 models, Pro, Elite, and base 100, had full carbon frames and swing arms. They only used aluminum stays on the full AL bikes.

In 2013, only the Pro SL OCLV Superfly 100 is completely carbon. The Elite has a carbon seatstay and an AL chainstay while the base model has a complete AL rear.

You can read the older model specs on the Trek website archives if you feel so inclined.

Ride well my friend!