mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Only one bike, x-cal training info help ? Gym also and home gym

I used to road race, years ago. Love MTB now so got a Gary Fisher x-cal. I want to ride for life, a life of health.

I also belong to full gym, have Bo flex and elepical, dumb bells etc at home, my wife trains.

I lost my desire yrs ago, started drinking etc.

Wonder if someone knowing my equipment and the a.m. Is best time for me to train, is there a good plan that uses riding and my equipment to get in the best ridingmshape of my life. I have good 10 plus miles single track 5 min from the house, plus riding to gym is option. I just need a good 7 day a week schedule to get me from 245 to 200.

Are there any trainers out there that can help with a schedule?

If u take pay pal I will pay! For it !!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    to get started back, the best option would be to take some time, say 8 weeks at least, to ride in your aerobic energy system. Throw on a heart monitor and ride hard enough to force your body to start fat burning and go through the adaption process. It takes a while, but you will turn into an endurance athlete. The intensity doesn't have to be high at all, for me (i am 50 yrs old) that's a HR of like 130. Use the weights a few days a week as an add on, do some yoga, stretching, whatever, but the core of your focus is that bike ride and getting thew hours in. Brisk hiking in the woods is fine too. If you can get over an hour a day, great. 2 hours is greater, but also take an easy day or day off once a week at least.

That's it.

mtbr member
    Great advice.

As you get into better shape and such, eventually start seeking out the social part of cycling. Riding in groups and clubs and the social aspect of cycling is just as important to me as the fitness part. Getting together with people plays a large part in keeping me riding.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you have the time, ride every day that you can. Cut out soda and sugary foods (and don't go for that extra dinner roll, etc.). If you drink coffee with creamer, consider getting a French press and enjoying it black. Dressing on the side of salads, or substitute with lemon juice. Drink less alcohol.

Enjoy your rides, find some guys that are about your speed and expand your riding horizons as life allows. Riding varied trails and terrain will help your skills and keep it fresh and exciting.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great advice(s)! Aches and pains are frequently what keep us off the bike as we age. Most people seem to find off the bike conditioning (yoga, kettlebells,etc. - your choice) helps keep those at bay.

Larry