mtbr member

Only 3 days a week available to train, what to do?

I'll be starting a job in a couple weeks where I'll be out of town working mon- thurs and staying in a hotel. Odds are the seedy motels we'll be staying in won't have gyms, and I live in northern mn so outside training in winter isn't a good option. Also, we work 12 hr days and the work is very physically demanding, so i probably wont really have the energy for a workout anyway...

So ive come to the conclusion that the only thing I can do is cram as much training in my 3 days off as I can. Right now I'm thinking 2 big rides on Fri and sun morning, weights on Fri and sun afternoon, and a recovery ride Saturday. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else have a similar circumstance?

And fwiw, its only my 2nd year racing, so I won't be putting in huge hours

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I suggest you to do intervals, at least on Fri and Sun, and on Sat too, but, you have to eat well for recovery for those intervals in 3 days in row.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If it's possible to get some squats and variations on squats in during the week, they will help. You don't need hours, you need maybe 45 minutes including warmup.

Packing all that stuff in over three days leaves no time for adaptation. Consider mixing it up. Weights early, ride not-too-hard later. Recovery day, then weights early ride not-too-hard later. Another weekend, do a longer ride then finish with intervals, recover day, then shorter ride with intervals.

Mix it up! Keep it interesting. We want you to stay in the sport.
    Remember your longest ride need only be a little bit longer than your race time most of the year.

mtbr member

Re: Only 3 days a week available to train, what to do?

Thanks for the replies guys. I like the squat suggestion, and I have a weighted vest so I'll definitely keep that in mind. Also I forgot to mention that I'll be going back to a normal 8-5 m-f work schedule in April which is about 9 weeks out from my first race, so I can go to a more normal training schedule then. But I'd like to build as much base and leg/core strength as I can this winter

FasCat Coaching
    Skip the weights on the weekend and spend that time on the bike (at least right now while the weather is good) As time and weather changes you can move to the gym. As you get closer to race season you can make those efforts be more intense and contain specific intervals. For now though, just get time.

As far as the hotel room, go to bed 45 minutes earlier and get up 45 minutes early. You can bang out a pretty nice am workout in your room without the need for anything.

See this article from Catherine Pendrel, I think it was on NBC Olympic site a ways back, LMN can clarify though... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Workout.pdf It's a quick and easy workout to do in the hotel and will keep you fit. Alternatively, you can do some plyometrics work that is really great and closer to cycling.

Workouts in the am can do wonders; you'll have the energy to do them & it'll kickstart your entire work day and energize you for it. The hard part is making that adjustment to get it done when you have the energy & time (mornings)
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    3 days, I would do a long ride, a set of hill reps maybe slightly bigger gear within a ride and a set of above race pace efforts. Covers the basics endurance, strength and speed

mtbr member

Re: Only 3 days a week available to train, what to do?

Unfortunately I have to share a room with a co worker, so morning workouts are a no go

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I like the squat suggestion, and I have a weighted vest so I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    Someone said to lay off the weights on your days off. That's probably good advice if you can do some strength training the other days. Again, pay attention to the number of hours raced vs longest ride. You don't need to go much beyond your longest race.

That link to the hotel room workout is gold. Thanks for that.