mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Online Training Site Wishlist

Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of writing an online training system and I wanted some feedback/wishlist items should I commit the hours to coding.

Customer:
    Recreational to weekend warrior rider. I'm not going to steal Training Peaks customers with a better/free product for those kinds of users. That's not going to be successful.

Big Picture:
    I was thinking about having it goal-based. For example, providing a method of tracking training for an endurance ride 6 months away. I would offer a few methods to improve cycling performance along with a way to track the hours of training.

The hard part to code is there would be some flexibility in training activities (running, swimming, gym) and weighting their contribution to the goal ride. The easy part to code is the getting started questions and logging activity.

I'm not going to become an Internet bazillionaire doing this. No way. Cycling is the new golf and Carmichael/TrainingPeaks is the equivalent of paying to play on a PGA Pro golf course. At some point there would be a paid option, but always be the low-price option with some better tools and no advertisements

Here's your chance to weigh-in on the online training program you've always dreamed about. Let's hear your wishlist!

mtbr member
    Write an app for a smart phone that will read a cycloops PM and produce maps simultaneously. Or does strava already do that?

That way I can get maps and real power data at the same time, and not have so many devices running at once.

I don't want a Garmin head unit. i want to do it with my smart phone.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    definitely iphone/android would be beneficial with gps tracking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was thinking of doing something similar a year ago but got hung up with work. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cmattmiller View Post
    definitely iphone/android would be beneficial with gps tracking.
    There's no end of GPS apps already though. Free too. And you can upload them to Strava pretty seamlessly too all for free.

I am reading that you guys like numbers though... So, that's a way to present training information. But, I'm not going to reproduce Strava.com. That's not possible for a one-man shop.

The unfilled niche I see is a consumer that's paid for a few books that would never consider hiring a coach, but likes to ride and generally see some progress. My site would give them ways to measure their progress in a full, (SO, kids, career, etc) possibly multisport life and actually MAKE progress.
    Last edited by asphalt_jesus; 03-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Write an app for a smart phone that will read a cycloops PM and produce maps simultaneously. Or does strava already do that?

That way I can get maps and real power data at the same time, and not have so many devices running at once.

I don't want a Garmin head unit. i want to do it with my smart phone.
    There's a ton of expertise and resources that is required to connect a strain gauge with a mobile phone that I just don't have. And then lots more time writing the software to glue it together. That's why most of that stuff is proprietary, or still very DIY.

My goal is have a specific purpose for the workout, then end-of-the ride, enter some stats about the workout on a web page. And then do some still undefined calculations to track meeting a cycling goal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sounds cool.

won a subscription to TrainingPeaks this year and their stuff is awesome. i say if you can get something close to the PMC you might get some racers interested. that thing is RAD!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asphalt_jesus View Post
    There's a ton of expertise and resources that is required to connect a strain gauge with a mobile phone that I just don't have.
    Doesn't need to connect to the strain gauges. Just needs to pick up the signal.

My Powertap puts out some sort of wireless signal that the PT head unit picks up. i don't know much about that signal, but a cell phone may be able to pick it up, if the phone had some sort of "receiver" for it.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    sounds cool.

won a subscription to TrainingPeaks this year and their stuff is awesome. i say if you can get something close to the PMC you might get some racers interested. that thing is RAD!
    I'm not going to steal TraningPeaks' customers for a number of reasons.

Maybe another way to ask the question, what are the best features for newbies, more than veterans of training using TrainingPeaks?
    Last edited by asphalt_jesus; 03-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Doesn't need to connect to the strain gauges. Just needs to pick up the signal.

My Powertap puts out some sort of wireless signal that the PT head unit picks up. i don't know much about that signal, but a cell phone may be able to pick it up, if the phone had some sort of "receiver" for it.
    I believe you can purchase a ANT+ reciever for your phone. With that the phone could read the data from a most modern power devices and heart rate straps.

The hard part to code is there would be some flexibility in training activities (running, swimming, gym) and weighting their contribution to the goal ride. The easy part to code is the getting started questions and logging activity.

That is the hard part. You would need some quantitive measurement of the load produced by those workouts. Training peaks has a algorithm to analyze power files to give a Training Stress Score. The algorithm works all right, it is not perfect though. It would take a lot of work with a very competent exercise physiologist to come up with a algorithm that is moderately accurate and easy to use.

You would need something. There is already lots of people offering a basic training log, or a more sophisticated like Strava. In terms of weighting workouts Training Peaks is the only one I know of.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I believe you can purchase a ANT+ reciever for your phone. With that the phone could read the data from a most modern power devices and heart rate straps.
    As far as I know there is no after market ANT+ receiver on the market. There is only 1 phone that I know of that has ANT+ support built-in. But that is what would be needed to integrate with a cell phone. I would hope that in the next few years cell phone manufacturers will pick up their slack...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You're really going to need something unique to go against sport tracks, golden cheetah, strava, wko+, raceday and all the free lesser known software out there.
    One thing I'd like to see, and would look into doing myself if I had the ambition would be a calender based training/ planning site that links in to strava. It looks like Strava has an API but never looked into it. Both Strava and Golden Cheetah are great for technicals and ride analysis but suck when it comes to planning out races and training. WKO has a lousy calender, RaceDay is better but I can't bring myself to spend another $100+.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Sport Tracks and Golden Cheetah is a tough combo to beat, especially for the price. I do wish that Sport Tracks was web based, though. It does seem that most of the web-based stuff out there (besides Training Peaks, which I'm not willing to pay for) is pretty weak. Strava is cool, but it's not what I would consider a training log.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Both Strava and Golden Cheetah are great for technicals and ride analysis but suck when it comes to planning out races and training.
    That's the niche I'm after. Let's say after you are registered at the site, you enter a 'race date', the length of the race in hours/minutes, and the number of hours per week you are riding. I can generate a simple plan from there with weekly goals.

Riders then fill in some workout data as the days/weeks progress and I should be able to get a good handle on their capabilities by race day as long as what they provide is vaguely accurate.

Do you think that works for people?

Finally, there's no way I'm 'going against' any other training businesses. Not Strava, not Garmin, not even a $4.99 GPS iPhone app. I can't stress this enough. There's lots of value to add without competing with established quant-heavy training providers.
    Last edited by asphalt_jesus; 03-13-2012 at 05:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    that actually sounds like a pretty good idea. have some generic training plans that your site schedules for people based upon their experience, race date, time available to train, and whatever other items are important. the premium service could offer customized coaching by affiliated coaches.

it should have the option hook into facebook for those people that like to show off to their 'friends' how sporty they are.

as far as my dream app, it would be a combo of training peaks and strava with the ability to pre-plan routes. there would be map data to tell me anticipated mileage, vert, and time (based upon scheduled training zones) of the planned route. after a while, the app would suggest certain routes to me to meet my planned goals.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    You can buy a wahoo ant + dongle for an iPhone and will then pick up power, hr, cadence etc. not sure, but I think it will work with apps other than wahoo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I like the idea of training plan generation - it has been done by Training Peaks Virtual Coach, but from everything I've heard their auto generated plans are kind of a joke for anyone serious about racing. After all, they want you to shell out for personalized coaching or a $100 12 week canned plan. I think there's a definite opportunity there, a lot of people don't know how to put together a plan and can't shell out that kind of money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Thanks

Thank you all for good feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Agile is the future of project management. Many companies are adopting agile methodologies to increase team performance and improve customer satisfaction. The Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) is the newest certification offered by PMI and is expected to become the industry standard certification for agile over the next few years. In addition to preparing you for the PMI-ACP exam, this course is designed to teach you the principals and practices of agile, including Scrum, XP and Lean. Don't let this opportunity pass you by, register today for one of our PMI-ACP courses.