mtbr member
    Aug 2009

older brain configuration vs. 2009 configuration

Can anybody comment on how well the epic specialized brain shock that's mounted on the rear triangle compares to the new set-up with the shock under the top tube. I've got a 2003 epic that I'm thinking of adding the forks, wheels, brakes, etc. from my 2008 Rocky Vertex 70 and I'm just curious how the older brains compare to the newer. Thanks much!

mtbr member
    I went from a 2003 Epic to a 2009 Epic. Big difference. The 2003 worked well, the 2009 is even better!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    In my experience with Epics (much experience 2005-2009), the newer frame design works quite well and has a bit better durability (pivot points, etc) than the older versions do. However, the new Specialized shocks (even the 2007-2008 ones that were mounted on the side and made by Specialized) are quite bad. I've replaced WAY too many of these shocks, some after only a single ride (literally, multiple times). Supposedly Specialized is raising the bar on these and the newer ones are "better", but I've heard that before and seen it not happen. The older Fox-made ones were bombproof, they simply worked.

The light at the end of the tunnel? For 2010 I guess Fox will be making the shocks once again. I'll bet most anything that they will work as intended. If you go for a new Epic, wait until you see something made by Fox in the suspension department.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    I have an 09 Epic and have not had many problems! Beyond the the shock, the geometry is also different and a little bit more laid back. it's a super steady bike that is a great race bike but also a great trail bike (not so much so on the older epics).
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I raced in the MASS all season with the old style Epic with the Fox built brain with great success and results. I've had no problems with any aspect of the bike or suspension at all. The bike turns like its on rails, the brain works beautifully, and if you own one I would see no reason to sell it for a new one unless having a new one is whats important to you. I'm sure the new ones will be better to some people looking for slightly different characteristics while others like the way the older models feel. From what I've heard and read, as long as you make sure your model has the Fox built shock and not the Specialized house shock you should pretty much have one of the best race bikes ever built. I know I love mine.
    Trestle Bridge Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I love mine too. 2003 Epic fully rebuilt. I just had the rear shox re built and I have no complaints. I am however coming off an old school (klein) hard tail. I think the main difference would be in weight and geometry with the newer epics. The new shox might have a little bit more adjustment. But the old shox just plain out works. Pedals like a hardtail and is active when needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My bike is at the bottom of this post:

Specialized "Epic" Downieville Ride