1-Cadel
    2-Froome
    3-Conti
    4-Hesjedal
    5-Purito
    I had to pick Cadel again

mtbr member

Ok Tour podium, I know is road

The bus stuck underneath the finishing gantry was quite funny during the first stage today.

I think it could be:

1. Alberto Contador
    2. Nairo Quintana
    3. Richie Porte
    4. Chris Froome
    5. Alejandro Valverde

mtbr member
    Always drama at the tour I love it!

1. Froome
    2. Porte
    3. Evens
    4. Conti
    5. Rogers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post

2. Nairo Quintana

5. Alejandro Valverde
    That's an interesting order. My parents are Colombian so I always take a big interest in Colombian riders.

So you're implying that Nairo will move from super-domestique to team leader at the end. Wow. That always makes for great drama. Kinda like the previous Froome-Wiggins situation. You also have the Spanish/Colombian dilemna on a spanish team.

Pretty cool that Nairo is doing so well. To think most his "training" consisted of bike commuting to school on a $30 dollar bike (at altitude). The colombians are like the Kenyans of cycling. Kenyans run to school every day, Colombians ride to school every day.

Americans, we like using cars.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 07-03-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member

A short clip from today's stage (Stage 5):

http://instagram.com/p/bTmzXvsC5P/

I was quite impressed by how well Nairo Quintana rode in last year's Tour of Spain. He was one of the last riders at the front on the hilliest stages. This Tour de France has a lot of climbing in the final week so I think you're likely to see the top 5 consisting of climbers.

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/20...-quintana.html

mtbr member

Nairo Quintana really needs to stop falling off. After stage 7 that's three stages in a row that he's crashed on now. I think he fell off on one of the earlier ones too.

He needs to be fresh for the first mountain stage tomorrow.

XCdude
    They all need to stop it. But it appears to be, the same peeps over and over. Sir Lance use to say you have to survive the first week. Lets see the shown now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Nairo Quintana really needs to stop falling off. After stage 7 that's three stages in a row that he's crashed on now. I think he fell off on one of the earlier ones too.

He needs to be fresh for the first mountain stage tomorrow.
    I imagine he is still developing his peleton riding skills, which is super difficult at this level. The TDF has higher speeds and more bumping (on the run ins) than what he's used to. Plus all these new traffic structures (roundabouts, signs, curbs in middle of roads, etc.) has made the race more dangerous for everyone (it's great for cars though).

Looks like all the GC contenders are a minute within each other still. Also now i see why the TTT sucks; Damiano Cunego lost over a minute and we haven't even hit a serious mountain yet.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think Froome is going to win it just because I feel he could have ran away with it last year if he wanted to. I think Cadel and Contador are going to be in it too.

I liked seeing Sagan finally win a stage. I like him as he is always making things exciting.

mtbr member
    I also liked seeing Greipel win a stage, ensuring it's not just the Cav and Sagan show. Sagan does bring a little flair to the sport, he's gonna have a long and successful career with his freakish abilities.
    Now lets see who is really ready to tackle the Bergs.

mtbr member
    What a travesty. On ITV they waited until the crucial part of the final climb, and then went to adverts. It wasn't even a short advertising break as they threw in every ad for anti-perspirant, mobile phones and any other junk they had available.

By the time the coverage resumed all the action had happened and the group had blown apart with no help from Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen as to who was where. Not impressed.

It was a good stage though. It looked really hard in that sun, especially on the penultimate climb. When the camera bike was passing all the riders who were getting dropped they all appeared shattered.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebullet View Post
    I also liked seeing Greipel win a stage, ensuring it's not just the Cav and Sagan show. Sagan does bring a little flair to the sport, he's gonna have a long and successful career with his freakish abilities.
    Now lets see who is really ready to tackle the Bergs.
    I agree with you on Sagan. If he keeps his head on his shoulders will do very well indeed. He will be in yellow in a few years if he keeps this up. The mountain stages will separate the men from the boys and the tour is far from over...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member

This is quite a good article about the evolution of time trialling and the Tour de France.

It has plenty of Chris Boardman quotes in too.

http://www.lequipe.fr/explore/clock-hunters/

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    That's an interesting order. My parents are Colombian so I always take a big interest in Colombian riders.

So you're implying that Nairo will move from super-domestique to team leader at the end. Wow. That always makes for great drama. Kinda like the previous Froome-Wiggins situation. You also have the Spanish/Colombian dilemna on a spanish team.

Pretty cool that Nairo is doing so well. To think most his "training" consisted of bike commuting to school on a $30 dollar bike (at altitude). The colombians are like the Kenyans of cycling. Kenyans run to school every day, Colombians ride to school every day.

Americans, we like using cars.
    Really? I almost married a girl from Colombia a few years back. Well she was born here in Puerto Rico but her parents came from Colombia some 30 years ago...

Also, last year in October, I took some UCI training certifications and they were given by a guy named Andrea Bianco, who coaches some good racers in this hemisphere and also coaches the Colombian National MTB team...and he was raving about Nairo, but also suggested that for him to be a GC contender, he would have to become a lot better TT rider and also a better descender. When we met again in Argentina for the Pan Am Continetal Championships, we started making fun predictions of important races this year over some beers, and most of them, he has nailed. So I expect to see some big surprises over the next 10 days...

I had:
    Froome
    Contador
    Cadel
    Valverde
    Purito

Now I have:
    Froome
    Contador
    Valverde
    Quintana
    ..and possibly Cadel...

XCdude

Es todo boricua, I'm sure is done unless a few guys set out

Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco View Post
    Really? I almost married a girl from Colombia a few years back. Well she was born here in Puerto Rico but her parents came from Colombia some 30 years ago...

Also, last year in October, I took some UCI training certifications and they were given by a guy named Andrea Bianco, who coaches some good racers in this hemisphere and also coaches the Colombian National MTB team...and he was raving about Nairo, but also suggested that for him to be a GC contender, he would have to become a lot better TT rider and also a better descender. When we met again in Argentina for the Pan Am Continetal Championships, we started making fun predictions of important races this year over some beers, and most of them, he has nailed. So I expect to see some big surprises over the next 10 days...

I had:
    Froome
    Contador
    Cadel
    Valverde
    Purito

Now I have:
    Froome
    Contador
    Valverde
    Quintana
    ..and possibly Cadel...
    to blowup the sky freight train. I'm talking suicide

Always pushing harder!!!
    wow!!! what a shake up today!!! this is getting better and better!!!

But to be honest (and a bit off topic), how many of you followed the Cape Epic this past March? each day had a chaotic surprise for the leaders...and this Tour might end up just like that in the next few days!!!

XCdude
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco View Post
    wow!!! what a shake up today!!! this is getting better and better!!!

But to be honest (and a bit off topic), how many of you followed the Cape Epic this past March? each day had a chaotic surprise for the leaders...and this Tour might end up just like that in the next few days!!!
    Yep watched it life, great show, lets see if they can something similar tomorrow and the Tour could change after sunday.

The epic is awesome , I watched most of it on a rerun a few weeks back. Nothing like it any where. The 45000 feet of climbing in a week, plus 550 miles or so. 30hrs winning time is just of the charts.

mtbr member

I normally fast forward the flat Tour stages until 20km to go, as that's the interesting part. Frequently nothing happens before then.

Yesterday's stage (Stage 13) I watched the last 100km. The echelons and constant changes made for a good race. Did you see how Pierre Rolland and his Europcar team were working once Alejandro Valverde punctured to put time into him? The irony of Pierre Rolland puncturing himself and slipping back to the Valverde group, where he and his team mates then had to chase the bunch they'd been driving beforehand, was quite strong.

Team Sky were hopeless again. I read somewhere that apparently Chris Froome had a big say in choosing the Tour team and chose riders that he could trust. The concern being that the Tour could end up being a two way battle between himself and Bradley Wiggins, causing split loyalties within the team. Bradley Wiggins didn't start so it hasn't been an issue in practice. Some of the more experienced Sky riders, such as Bernie Eisel and Christian Knees would have come in handy on that windy stage yesterday.

When the split happened Mark Cavendish said that his sprint to bridge to the break was a higher power output than his final sprint to win the stage, and he still only just made it. Chris Froome was on his wheel so it's not that much of a surprise that Froome couldn't follow Cavendish across the gap, not many people could when he's sprinting flat out.

This is Nicholas Roche's SRM data from the stage. It shows the final break by Saxobank-Tinkoff to gain time.

http://www.srm.de/news/road-cycling/...ance-stage-13/

This is a preview of the upcoming week in the mountains:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...ance-2013-pain

In order for my predicted top 5 to be correct now there will have to be a monster attack at some point.

mtbr member
    Some of the best spectators from today's Mont Ventoux stage. There was a Santa Claus in full costume, including beard, at 15km to go but it wasn't shown on the highlights program. The spectator dressed as a parrot was good too but it doesn't show up well in the screenshot.

Peter Sagan was in the break. When he was caught by the bunch he did a one handed wheelie for the cameras.

This spectator with the flag only moved at the very last second. Sylvain Chavanel almost rode into it.

It wasn't mentioned in the ITV commentary but there is a fallen motorbike on the side of the road.

In the background of this picture someone had dressed all in green with a big smiley face hat also. It wasn't clear whether they could actually see the race as it went past. Just before this someone in a wig was running alongside holding up a potato too. You can also see the funniest spectator of the day running alongside Nairo Quintana. Stuffed boar guy. (who says that doing silly stuff on climbs doesn't get you noticed.)

This is another picture of stuffed boar guy. He was carrying a stuffed boar under one arm whilst waving one of its legs with the other one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is there somewhere I can watch this years cape epic? Would love to see it but I have know idea when you guys know this stuff is on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Im going to the Tour next year, armed with a sling-shot so I can pick off all the people acting like idiots along the roadside. Im gonna need a big bag of rocks...

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    ^ I agree! Some of these "fans" are really hampering the riders's focus, ride and concentration..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

AZ
    banned
    An earlier stage, stupid fan gets clocked.

Always pushing harder!!!
    True...I wish fans were more cautious with the riders safety and their own...but then again, some of them are plain just funny!!!

mtbr member

That has to be the ultimate Phil Liggett saying during today's time trial stage. Chris Froome is on the final descent:

"There are spots of moisture on the camera lens! It must be perspiration from the spectators."

It was raining.

The Jean Christophe Peraud crash was crunching. He'd already crashed pre-riding the course earlier that day, cracking his right clavicle. As he was in 9th place overall he decided to continue. In the race itself he was descending like a lunatic when he crashed with 2km to go, landing on the already cracked collarbone and breaking it. Apparently it was the corner where his wife and family were waiting to cheer him on too.

CRASH! PÉRAUD Jean-Christophe - YouTube

Jean Christophe Peraud was a mountain biker before moving to road racing (Paul Sherwen never stops mentioning it). As always Paul Sherwen was saying how good his bike handling was as a result. Then he fell off. The curse of the commentator in full effect.

It seems that Movistar have signed Nairo Quintana's brother to ride for them too now also.
    Last edited by WR304; 07-17-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast