Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Offseason cross training

I've had my post season down time (aka survive the end of the year at work) I'm still thinking biking but am making a point of cross training instead. I have two runs under my belt so far and am digging it. I do plan to spend some gym time and downhill skiing.

Anyone else cross training in the offseason?
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Brant-C.
    i plan on running, lifting and (gulp) swimming...as soon as the weather turns nasty and can no longer ride outside.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

AZ
    banned
    Weights , yoga , kick boxing .

Born Annoyed
    Gym time, want to try yoga, CX ski and riding in the snow.
    It's ALWAYS funny when it happens to somebody else
    Lookie at what I found- http://www.f88me.com check it out, now

mtbr member
    Running and P90X.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Too poor this season, and some funny scheduling things interfered with my "ski for free" plan.

But in the past, I've done a ton of downhill skiing. In the future, I'm hoping to start patrolling and doing some sidecountry and backcountry.

If you hike a few inbounds peaks, you can get a lot more out of skiing.

Some running too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Weightlifting and yoga for me this year. And a ton of indoor base miles on the rollers. Xc skiing when the trails are well groomed.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Mostly running. 2-3 days a week, 3-7 miles per run. Kept me in shape last winter (a first).

Anything to keep off the trainer as much as possible!
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

likes to ride bikes
    Offseason? I'm doing the TX marathon series.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Running and P90X.
    Same here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Running and P90X.
    P90X is the way to go. This is the program that made me realize I had been pretty much wasting $70 a month on a gym membership for the past 8 years.

Once it gets too miserable outside, I'm going to through the bike on my new trainer and do some Spinnervals workouts.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I spend my winters XC skiing, snow shoeing and riding the highway to nowhere.

When the XC season gets going I spend about 8-10hrs a week on the skinny sticks. 60% of the time is spent on skate skis the rest on classic. I try and snow shoe once a week and ride the trainer once a week. As the winter progresses I add another trainer ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Of all the stupid things to do, I'm actually running a pancake-flat road 10K on Saturday.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well, I'm stoked to get my heavy bag back up in the basement. I welded up a rather beefy frame to support it as the floor joists of my home weren't digging the abuse. I'm a mega-procrastinator so this project was several years overdue. The frame is the width of the room so that I can circle the bag. There is no sense in training the body to hit standing in one place. Pop-pop-pop, move, pop-pop, move.... is how you avoid getting hit! Working the heavy-bag is really more of an anaerobic workout more than anything so I'll also ride the trainer and the elliptical machine for endurance. In addition I'll hit the weights to see if I can put the ten pounds back on that I lost riding this year. I have a bad knee so running is out. I might do some XC skiing if we get enough snow, or I might swim. Overall I want to do a lot more volume this upcoming season as I averaged only 3.5 hours a week this year. Of course I have a million and one excuses as to why, but the #'s don't lie.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Ibexbiker
    Apr 2006
    P90X and P90X + a few times a week (This year probably more of the Yoga and Core Synergestics stuff and less chest/back/arms).

Snowshoeing a couple times a week, indoor trainer a few times a week at most, spin class once in awhile. I usually do a couple of snow rides when the weather is perfect.

Snowboarding and pick up basketball once in awhile as well. I need to get into cross country skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So that was literally 4 independent recommendations for some random DVD set of workouts? Interesting, I'd never heard of P90X until this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Riding and Judo/Jiujitsu for me.
    Cross train some stationary bike/row/eliptical with xc arm motion thingy if/when its too wet.

Health Nut
    riding the trainer, try and ride in the snow once a week on long rides/climbs
    swim and run,and lift light weights a couple times a week

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    Of all the stupid things to do, I'm actually running a pancake-flat road 10K on Saturday.
    Why on earth would you do something that stupid?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Why on earth would you do something that stupid?
    Because I'm a glutton for punishment. And want to figure out my VDOT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapelike
    So that was literally 4 independent recommendations for some random DVD set of workouts? Interesting, I'd never heard of P90X until this thread.
    I want to see one of these above guys wind up on the informercial.

"I used to be a pathetically built expert (or sport) level racer who couldn't lift a can of tuna.........BUT LOOK AT MY EXPLOSIVE GUNS AND ROCK HARD ABS NOW!!!!!"

But most the infomercials show people going from pudgy to ripped. Not skinny to ripped.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

likes to ride bikes
    Exactly, is this really gonna help your racing. I mean cool if you want to look better than the guys on the podium, cause most of them I see look starved.

Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli
    I want to see one of these above guys wind up on the informercial.

"I used to be a pathetically built expert (or sport) level racer who couldn't lift a can of tuna.........BUT LOOK AT MY EXPLOSIVE GUNS AND ROCK HARD ABS NOW!!!!!"

But most the infomercials show people going from pudgy to ripped. Not skinny to ripped.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I did P90X last January through March(ish) and had some really good results. I just started the routine again about a month ago. I'm going to start throwing in some base miles on the trainer along with the P90X and I'm expecting even better things. I think P90X is great for winter training, then get more bike specific in the spring.

mtbr member
    Pushing my bike up DH runs, and of course riding them back down 4-5 runs in a session, takes 15-25 mins to push up, all at zone 3/4- can't be bad x-training

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

the dungeon

Here's my 'man's room', which, as you can see is pretty much a messy dungeon.

I have at various times a heavy bag and double end bag hung up, an elliptical machine or my bike trainer set up, and a work bench where I fix things. Oh, there's a weight bench too, and I'm midway through constructing my second (for real as opposed to practice) bicycle frame.

Despite the mess, I get an absolutely killer workout in when I set my mind to it. This winter's cross-training/training will be boxing, elliptical, bike trainer, and weights. I'll XC ski, if we get the snow, or ride if we don't. I might swim too, I haven't decided

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast