mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Off Season base training schedule

Since my season is over due to a baby girl coming in September, I'm starting the transition into base training early. This season I got 4 top 5s and one sixth racing sport, but in a small field of 7-12 racers (in my class, 19-29). So, I was consistent middle of the pack. This was also my first season of racing, decided to skip Cat 3 and start at Cat 2. What hurt me the most was an utter lack of base. I didn't start training till mid January with my first race beginning of March, and started with (and only did) intervals, 1 hour per day, 6 days a week.

I'm hoping to move up to Cat 1 next season, a lofty goal I know. My plan is to spend until January doing low level zone 1 and 2 base training exclusively. Obviously, 3 hour rides every day of the week won't fit my schedule, but I will be able to get at least three 2-3 hour rides in a week. My question is, will I lose anything staying at a base-only regimen? Is this too long of doing base? And are recovery rides necessary? I could easily get in a 30 minute to an hour ride on the other 4 days a week, but should I stick to low level recovery rides on those days, or do some intervals?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy
    My question is, will I lose anything staying at a base-only regimen? Is this too long of doing base? And are recovery rides necessary?

Yes, yes, and no.
    I'm a big advocate of classic base training, but it needs to be done in the right context. For someone with a few years racing under their belt, who's hit a plateau, and can put in 15+ hours/week it's a great way to have a break through year. First year racer, new kid on the way, limited training time, not so much.
    Since you are in your first year racing, you should still be able to make significant gains focusing on sustainable power (threshold) over the next several months. I'd recommend doing long threshold intervals, 10 - 30 minutes each, ~2 days per week. Even better, get out on your mtb and pin it. Add 2hr+ base rides to that if you have the time, if not, no big deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the tips. How's this sound for now:

Sunday: Day off
    Monday: 40 minute ride, 30 minutes at threshold (275W)
    Tuesday: 2.5-3 hour ride, Zone 2 (150W)
    Wednesday: Same as Tuesday
    Thursday: Same as Monday
    Friday: Same as Monday
    Saturday: 3-4 hour gravel ride

This will change once my last semester of classes starts in a month, but I'll keep it pretty similar, just change what days is what accordingly.

Unfortunately, my local trail has been paved over. Nearest one now is well over an hour away, so my training is going to have to be gravel and trainer only.
    Last edited by ryguy135; 07-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.