mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Nutrition After Late Evening Ride

Lately my schedule has not allowed me to train during the day. I have been riding my trainer after dinner - around 9pm or so. I finish dinner with my family around 7:30pm. I train for about an hour and then do light weights for 15-20 minutes. When I get done I am not at all hungry.

I have read several places that you should have some sort of nutrition after training, but I don't feel like eating or drinking a recovery drink and would prefer not to have the calories right before I go to bed. I am not waking up hungry either. Is skipping post ride nutrition in this situation a mistake or should I just listen to my body and only eat or have a recovery drink if I feel less than full?

mtbr member

Nutrition After Late Evening Ride

Can you really effectively train after having just eaten dinner?

As a full time stay-at-home dad, I will sometimes feed my 2 kids, put them to bed and then ride the rollers for an hr or 2. My nutrition tactic is to eat a small meal around 4 or 5 and then a second small meal after riding (essentially breaking dinner into 2 sittings). Works well for allowing digestion prior to the workout (can't imagine doing threshold intervals with a full stomach) and fuels you after the workout too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Trying to find info for you with more detail, on when recovery calories necessary , but it is along these lines. This is off of joe friels blog

Dubai Gator said...
    I am currently reading your book on the Paleo Diet. I am a recreational athlete and work out anywhere from 8 - 12 (including 3 hours of resistance training) hours per week depending on my travel schedule. I am curious if I should use a recovery drink (homebrew or other) after my early morning one hour masters swim practice. My bikes and runs are typically no longer than anhour.

Joe Friel said...
    Hi DG--A one-hour swim is what I would call a 'tweener. After an intense swim session you may well need a recovery drink. After an easy one-hour swim you won't.