mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Number of races each year

I was curious how many races people generally ride each year. It sounds like people train a lot by reading the threads, but I cannot seem to find any races in my neck of the woods. I live in Tampa Fl and it seems there are only a couple each year here. Are people traveling upwards of 5-8 hours for a race? I have not raced before but I want to do a race and the next one here is not for a couple more months. I checked out the goneriding.com website as directed by a few members but with no additions to what I have found.

Thanks!

Fat-tired Roadie
    This year, on mountain bikes, probably 11 races. I'll do a few 'cross races this Fall, too.

There's an early-season series I did all of, so that's six races. I also did two time trial things, have done a 30-miler and am registered for a 50-miler, and have a XC race this weekend. It's kind of a lean season for me - the race I have this weekend is part of my favorite series, but that series is down to four races this year, and I had conflicts with three of them. But, it motivated me to try the two endurance races, and the 30-mile race, at least, was a good format for me. Looking forward to the 50.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

SSOD
    goneriding is a good site and has the FSC schedule. Georgia has good racing if you could make it up there for some races. I ride as many races as I can afford, more or less, but generally 5-6 hours is about as far as I like to go for a weekend. I'm out of Birmingham, AL so I've done some of the Georgia races and they have some good trails around the state. Being in central AL I usually go to Georgia, TN, AL, MS for races.

Finding others to carpool with really helps with expenses if you have that option.

mtbr member
    All my family lives round Clearwater.

But I've stayed in Utah. You could race twice a week through most the summer, and close (less than 2 hours ).

If you add crit racing to the mix, then twice a week for 6 months.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the info.

Poncharelli, how/where would you race twice each week here? I am really close to Clearwater here in Tampa (45-60 minutes away).

Thanks.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I race about 10 off road races. I've done one road race this year, but there have been several opportunities for more road racing, but that's not for me. I suppose I need to do some road racing to get out of the cat 4/5 group. Oh yeah, most of my races are about 2 hours away, but I have a friend that will drive about 5 hours one direction.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew View Post
    goneriding is a good site and has the FSC schedule. Georgia has good racing if you could make it up there for some races. I ride as many races as I can afford, more or less, but generally 5-6 hours is about as far as I like to go for a weekend. I'm out of Birmingham, AL so I've done some of the Georgia races and they have some good trails around the state. Being in central AL I usually go to Georgia, TN, AL, MS for races.

Finding others to carpool with really helps with expenses if you have that option.
    Also in Birmingham. You doing the Hard Nox 50?

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    Also in Birmingham. You doing the Hard Nox 50?
    Maybe, it just depends on how I rehab a current injury. There is a 6hr at Tribble Mill the week before it and an 8hr at Raccoon Mtn the week after. I was planning on doing 2 of the 3 races until my IT band started acting up last week. I was in week 10 of base after my ITB put me out for 3 months earlier this year but hopefully this time it won't be that long.

I want to go and do it, especially since they have a ss cat this year. It looks like a fun race but it just depends on my leg. I will pm you my email if your looking to carpool or something