mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Noseless or Short Nose Saddle?

For good cornering, you want to separate your body from bike. You know, lean the bike, not the body. This is one reason the gravity dropper posts are getting more and more popular. For me, it is really just the last inch of the saddle nose that hangs up on my leg (even with outside foot down). Moving my saddle back just a little makes a huge difference in cornering, but puts me in the wrong spot for seated climbing. It seems a shorter nose saddle would help with this. Anyone try this or have recommendation?

Looks like "Adamo Peak" would be a possibility.
    Last edited by pcoady; 03-20-2011 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bad idea atmho. You want to be able to leverage the bike with the saddle on your inner leg. Plus you want to be able to perch on the nose of the saddle on steep climbs.

mtbr member
    There's a thread about the ISM Adamo Peak saddle here with some feedback about it.

ISM Adamo Peak Saddle

If you want the saddle out of the way for descending then I'd consider the remote controlled dropper seatpost route. A lowered saddle position allows you to move around easily and also lets you lower your centre of gravity which can be useful in many situations. For the climbs it can be returned to your normal saddle height.

The downside is that remote dropper seatposts are expensive, fairly heavy and can be unreliable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    Bad idea atmho. You want to be able to leverage the bike with the saddle on your inner leg. Plus you want to be able to perch on the nose of the saddle on steep climbs.
    In what situation do you want to leverage your thigh against the seat? I haven't heard any MTB skills instructors advise this. In fact, this is a habit they try to break people of. But maybe I don't understand when you'd want to do it.

As far as steep climbs, you aren't putting substatial weight on the nose. I think it's more of a cue to get forward than actually accomplishing anything. Seems your core should be doing the work in that situation.

ups and downs
    There's always the testicle relaxer...

http://www.99bike.com.tw/en/product.asp
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    There's always the testicle remover...

FIFY

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use the nose of my saddle a lot for technical and steep climbing. I would try one for free but wouldn't waste money on gimmicks that I don't think will have a positive impact. If riders like Adam Craig don't need noseless saddles I figure I should work more on skills with a standard setup.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pcoady
    I haven't heard any MTB skills instructors advise this. In fact, this is a habit they try to break people of..
    That is because just most skills instructors come from a DH background and drop their seat for a lot of descents. They don't know what to do with high a seat.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Dirty South Underdog
    Yeah- I find that I'll use a thigh on the nose of the saddle to direct the back end of the bike when negotiating rock gardens & the like while standing up on the pedals. It's not a conscious thing at all, but I think it's necessary if you're on a hardtail since the back end won't track totally straight in situations like that.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Adamo Peak - Ride Report

Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    I use the nose of my saddle a lot for technical and steep climbing. I would try one for free but wouldn't waste money on gimmicks that I don't think will have a positive impact. If riders like Adam Craig don't need noseless saddles I figure I should work more on skills with a standard setup.
    I decided to buy one of these saddles (Adamo Peak). I didn't miss the saddle nose one bit. Went up some 20+ % grades. Didn't miss it in rock gardens. And in fast weavy sections it was MUCH easier to separate my bike from my body during cornering.

It was equally comfortable as my WTB Rocket, maybe more comfortable - too early to say after 1 ride.

I guess there is a minimum saddle length regulation. So to make up for shorter front, the back is longer. This was onenegative for me. Saddle caught me on a steep descent twice. I'm guessing when I'm racing w/o baggie shorts I'll be fine.

It has cro-moly rails and is about 100g heavier than my WTB. I think it's worth the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pcoady
    Saddle caught me on a steep descent twice.
    Sounds like you made a great decision. Good for you.

mtbr member
    I'm probably going to get an Adamo saddle for my TT road bike. Which is an excellent application for that saddle. (and the initial reason for its existence) The MTB application is still questionable.

When I TT, I sit right on my jones and johnson. I don't understand how people do it. (Conversation for another forum).
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just ordered a Duopower saddle its a short nose saddle from Spain. I will post some pics when it gets here. I have a really comfortable saddle now, but wanted to try it out it
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    There's always the testicle relaxer...

Holy crap. That seat is $900.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    Holy crap. That seat is $900.
    yeah. Pricey for a padded water bottle cage