No known cure

NORBA Licence. WTF?

Renewed my licence on the 8th. My card was dinged for $60 on the 16th. USA Cycling website shows I have no licence. It looks like I'll have to buy a Cat 1 one day licence for two days this weekend. I'm thinking of reversing the CC charge and paying as I go. Any advice from an insider?
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Formerly of Kent
    NORBA hasn't existed for like 10 years. And, paying for one-day license fees for 6 races will have you at the tipping point. After that, you should have bought the license.

Not to mention, renewing is only $30/year, I believe.

Been a while since I've interacted with USA cycling, though. Oregon (OBRA) does away with all of that silliness.

mtbr member
    You cannot buy a 1 day license for CAT 1

mtbr member
    If you purchased your license online, you should have gotten a verification email and the last screen of the process is a permit to ride, that you can print to present at registration until your license arrives in the mail.

If that didn't happen, reverse the original charge and renew again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Angry Singlespeeder: A Year without USA Cycling | Mountain Bike Review

It is do-able in some places, but around these parts (Mid Atlantic region), it is not that easy.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The license is $60 a year, which I think is a bunch of $hit, the privilege to race for $60 a year, you don't even get "Norba News" anymore. I try to justify it and say "hey its only $5 a month" the $60 doesn't put me in the poor house, its just the idea, what does USA cycling do for us amatuers? crappy start times, bad racing days ( on Fridays at some national events) so we can support a bunch of "pro's" race their bikes here and abroad? personally, I don't give a rats arse about the current crop of "pro's...remember Tomac, Overend, DeMattai, Furtado, that was real.
    I know that they offer supplemental insurance...
    BTW, I race Cat 1 50+

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Regionally they are also matching funds raised for drug testing, so open your wallet again. --> USA Cycling announces

Our regional series wants to do this, but they want the racers to raise the money. $6,000 among maybe 600 racers. They asked for feedback, but have not gotten much either way, which tells me they will add a fee somewhere.

I just renewed my license today too.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr View Post
    Regionally they are also matching funds raised for drug testing, so open your wallet again. --> USA Cycling announces

Our regional series wants to do this, but they want the racers to raise the money. $6,000 among maybe 600 racers. They asked for feedback, but have not gotten much either way, which tells me they will add a fee somewhere.

I just renewed my license today too.
    I'm not to happy with the USAC affiliation with MASS. I understand why they did it but hope after Nationals leaves the northeast in 2 years they drop the affiliation and go back to being an independent series.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    The license is $60 a year, which I think is a bunch of $hit, the privilege to race for $60 a year, you don't even get "Norba News" anymore.
    $60 bucks, that is cheap, I don't think licenses have ever been that cheap in BC. My license was a cool $140 this year.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    The license is $60 a year, which I think is a bunch of $hit, the privilege to race for $60 a year, you don't even get "Norba News" anymore. I try to justify it and say "hey its only $5 a month" the $60 doesn't put me in the poor house, its just the idea, what does USA cycling do for us amatuers? crappy start times, bad racing days ( on Fridays at some national events) so we can support a bunch of "pro's" race their bikes here and abroad? personally, I don't give a rats arse about the current crop of "pro's...remember Tomac, Overend, DeMattai, Furtado, that was real.
    I know that they offer supplemental insurance...
    BTW, I race Cat 1 50+
    Would have never guessed you're a Baby Boomer, the I want something for nothing crowd. Your fees should be going to develop junior riders, nobody cares about the 50+ CAT 1 either (and I'm in my 40s but unlike the Boomers I can see a picture outside of my own narrow scope).

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You missed my point, but that's ok

What It Be ?
    Race cross in the fall make it worth the price even more.