Thread: Nimby 50

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Nimby 50

I don't strap a race number on that often now-a-days. But a couple of times of year I do.

Yesterday I did the Nimby 50, a race that is arrguablely the hardest race in Canada. The signature of the course is the 1hr ultra techncial climb with a grand total of 131 switch backs. A very challenging climb, but the rest of the course is just as difficult if not more.

The race started with a 4km neutral rollout on pave and then straight into a steep 2km fire road climb to sort things out before entering single track for nearly the rest of the course. Going up the first climb I tried to go hard enough to clear traffic but easy enough to not blow my load early on. At the top of climb as looked at my heart race and saw it at 97% of max and I was concerned that I had gone a bit too hard.

The next segment of the race after a quick single track descent ii the Big Nimby, the hour long single track climb. Knowing I went a bit too hard early on I backed off for the first 20 minutes of the climb, one or two guys came by me but I managed to hold about the same gap to riders in front of me. I picked my effort after 20 minutes and at first didn't seem to be able to close but at about the 30 minute mark the climb got quite technical and the guys in front of me started to detonate. Over the next 1/2hr I picked off probably 20 guys.

After the climb is a descent which pushes the limit of what should be ridden on an XC bike. It was steep, long and extremely technical and by the bottom I had no brakes. Big steep rock faces are nervous at the best of times but when your brakes aren't working they are terrifying. (Next year I will but big rotors on my bike for this race). I didn't exactly rip the descent but I still managed to pick off another couple of riders.

The second half the course has stupidly steep climbs on it. I used my 22-34 a lot on it (which BTW was faster then those with 2x10s who were walking the climbs) . I managed to keep rolling on the climbs and kept picking off the occasional rider.

On the last climb I could see a guy a "touring bike " just in front of me. Unfortunately after the we left all the cool single track there was a 5km flat road drag to the finish line. I am not very good a flat roads to begin with and I know the guy infront had a superior bike for the roads. I just managed to get infront of him going into the final descent and I attacked the descent as hard as I could. After 5 minutes of wicked descending, I had no brakes again and had opened at 30 second gap. Good thing I opened the gap because he managed to find a couple of other guys to work with and by finish line was 3s behind me.

Ended up 2nd in my category open 30-35 and probably a top 25 (out of 300) overall. (I haven't seen full results overall results yet).
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The signature of the course is the 1hr ultra techncial climb with a grand total of 131 switch backs.
    That's pretty sick! I'd love to try this race!

Congrats on the finish!

ups and downs
    Just this morning I was chatting with some of the guys at my LBS that did the Nimby Fifty. The overall winning time was 2:15:59 for the 40km course by Neal Kindree.

The results are up

http://www.webscorer.com/race.aspx?raceid=1349
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nimby 50-nimbyfifty.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Great job!
    I understand the shorter format for UCI races, but 40-50k "right" better to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Time to post up a race pic!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I did it too. Super fun race and the downhills on this course were a blast! But, I think that people who haven't ridden these trails won't appreciate the pucker factor on some of the lines. I botched a corner and committed at the last second to a real tech and nasty line and got cheers from the people marshaling the spot! Got me pumped up a little for the rest of the ride.

The post-ride burgers were a fitting reward for finishing the race!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great race report. You are so lucky living in BC with all the great trails and races.