mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Nice 29er race bikes (besides Superfly and Alma)

I'd like to pick up a decent 29er that I can use for some of the cross country races here in Ohio next season. I've done a few beginner races and have done pretty well, but I'd like to upgrade to something a little more XC specific than my Trek Fuel EX.

I'm not sure that I want to go the route of carbon fiber frame like the Superfly or the Orbea Alma. Obviously awesome bikes, but the only way I could afford one would be used and I don't to deal with warranty issues if I break the carbon frame.

Most of the trails here in Southeastrn Ohio are pretty hilly and rocky, but I'm probably leaning more HT than FS. Just wondered if you guys had any other suggestions for 29er XC bikes. Thanks

ganginwood
    i'm happy with my cannonball 29er. carbon lefty and nice wheels brings it in at around 22 lbs. its a pretty competent race sled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Niner EMD or Air9
    Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29
    GF Paragon.
    GT Zaskar 9r

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Salsa Dos Niner and Mamasita

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Niner Bikes for sure, and the Dos Niner is great as well. I raced one (Dos) in Cat 2/1 last year. I think it typically sat around 23.25-.5lbs, with not a super light build (older Reba fork, older XTR crankset, X0 drivetrain, Juicy Ultimates, and a light wheel build - 240s, Aerolite spokes, 355 rims). It's around 21.5lbs as a SS with tensioner, and might wind up a hair under when I put a new Bonty Team Issue tire on the back in a few weeks.

Hubby rode/raced a SIR9 and then an AIR9 last year.

FS 29 the lightest I got my Canzo 29er was probably 27.75lbs. Not sure what our latest incarnation weighs. It's got a newer Reba, the light wheelset above (with light tires), and X0 drivetrain, with Noir cranks. Might try to weigh it? I'm using it for a local "underground" enduro next weekend. Just realized I probably should've just made the Dos geared again

Those bikes aren't going to be as light, and maybe not as "racey", but they are great affordable options, and good trail bikes as well.

There's a local Cat 1 guy that is really fast on his Mamasita as well.

Dirty South Underdog
    Another vote here for a Niner. I raced this season quite successfully on a Jet9 (FS) and I'm waiting for an Air9 (HT) right now.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I'm assuming that southeastern Ohio is pretty similar to southwestern PA. I'm super happy with my One9 (same frame as an AIR9) but there are a whole lot of guys in the Pittsburgh and WV area's that have great success on Can o' ales with lefties.
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have an EMD that I built up at under 22 lbs. It's a killer bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I race my XL mamasita that sits around 24lbs with a not superlight kit (has to stand up to general trail riding too) and am a podium contender in the expert class here, its a great race bike

jms
    mtbr member

Giant

As much as it pains me to recommend the epitome of big and predatory, don't forget Giant:

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us....1/5729/36271/

The only real weakness in this package is the wheelset. Sooo, add these:

http://www.notubes.com/product_info....roducts_id/472

And you're set for next season, with a race and training wheelset.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by neverdnf
    I'd like to pick up a decent 29er that I can use for some of the cross country races here in Ohio next season. I've done a few beginner races and have done pretty well, but I'd like to upgrade to something a little more XC specific than my Trek Fuel EX.

I'm not sure that I want to go the route of carbon fiber frame like the Superfly or the Orbea Alma. Obviously awesome bikes, but the only way I could afford one would be used and I don't to deal with warranty issues if I break the carbon frame.

Most of the trails here in Southeastrn Ohio are pretty hilly and rocky, but I'm probably leaning more HT than FS. Just wondered if you guys had any other suggestions for 29er XC bikes. Thanks
    Wow! I'm not sure racing in a few beginner races results in the need to lay down the cash right now for a carbon XC race frame. But if you've got the cash.....

Having recently been through a warranty/recall issue with a Niner JET 9, I can say having a frame that you know is covered is well worth the cash over buying used. You're pretty much out of luck if your used frame gives up the ghost.

That being said, I did buy a Salsa Dos Niner used and a Fisher Sugar 293 used years ago. Both have been fine with 6 seasons on the Sugar and 5 seasons on the Dos Niner to date. I cannot complain about that in terms of durability and lifespan - and there are more years to come for both. I have raced both bikes the entire time here in the Midwest.

You have plenty of choices both new and used for getting a frame and doing a build around it. It sounds like you want to go HT which provides you a plethora of choices for an XC race frame. Niner, Specialized, Salsa, Fisher, Banshee, Ventana, and on and on. Who doesn't make 29"er XC frames these days? You could take a shot on a used bargain, or go new to receive warranty coverage.

What's your budget for the frame?

BB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am also currently shopping for a 29er HT XC race bike and Ihave narrowed it down to a Niner Air9 and the new Cannondale Flash 29er (either the Carbon 2 or Alloy 1). I have riddent the 2009 Cannondale 29er 1 and it was a great XC race bike, light, responsive and stiff. I am leaning towards the 2010 Cannondale Flash 29ers but the Niner Air9 is a sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for all the input.

I'm trying to avoid carbon for the reasons I've mentioned. I don't want something that I fear taking out on a normal trail ride. Plus, at this stage, I don't think I have the experience/fitness to benefit from a frame that is only marginally lighter than alum.

I was hoping to stay under $1500 total for the bike, and I was probably leaning towards the used route.