Loser

Newbies in 18hr race...

I am leading a team that will take part in the 18 hour race in Fruita in April. All of the team members are fit and athletic. Three of them are somewhat accomplished roadies, but none of them have really done much (any) mountain biking. I am an accomplished rider, but I have only raced once and have never done an 18 or 24 hour race before - I have done many "epic" 8+ hour rides. We are all coming into CO from all over the country (one from outside the country), I am hoping we can all get there a few days early to spend some leisure time riding in Fruita.

Sounds good eh?

Obviously we are not looking to be competitive here, just to have a good time. Anyone have tips for me in leading this team? I am hoping to have a really good time and not make anyone completely miserable.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Your Best Friend
    If you really are doing it just for fun, then that needs to be your main focus. Relax and have fun! On one of the prior days make sure to pre-ride the course so that everyone is comfortable on it. Keep in mind that everyone will get a little tired and it will fall on you to keep them all motivated. Make the around camp time fun and relaxing with plenty of different things to eat. Enjoy it!

Mythical Creature
    Ah team races.... good news is, it really can be fun, and fast / competitive! With a 4 person team, lots of opportunity to mix up laps (if its a lap format race) and duties. 1-2-1-2-3-4-3-4 or 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 and so on. Stay away from 2 up / 2 down though, as that seems to be a team killer.

Know your gear/lights/nutrition inside outside upside down - seriously, as you do not want to think about anything but the trails, riding, and staying warm - which is key!

Fruita ain't super high elevation, but anyone at sea level will 'feel it'. Espeically after 2-3 days there. Ideally (not really, of course - in terms of pre-riding) all the low-landers would get there the night before (assuming a morning start) to be as close to start time as possible from time of arrival. Or, fly out 2-3 weeks in advance for a nice aclimitization (sp?).

Then? Have fun! You'll love RIPPING the fast trails in Fruita compared to New England gnarl.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -