mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Newb question about what to ride?

At the moment I have a GT Tequesta from early 2000. I have the
    Chance to buy a spec hardrock. (2009). I haven't actually raced yet, but I am currently training to race next year. Should i stick with my GT? Get the hardrock? Or just save $$ to get a yeti/sj? Please help!

whatever will make you ride the most.

how much will the specialized set you back? disc or vbrake? shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks and unless you've upgraded the components on the tequesta it'll probably ride better. and then you should be able to sell it next summer for around what you got it for (unless you're buying it new from an lbs now) to upgrade again.

and if you're serious about racing and training for next year, then that couple hundred $ might be best spend on a road bike since your legs/lungs will progress more doing that than they will mountain biking....and then upgrade the mtb when you can afford it next year. but road bikes can take the fun out of riding too unless you're really motivated, or a masochist and you enjoy the pain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    $200. Which ATM I have my eyes set on saving money so I can get a full race machine. I ride the GT all the time I can. It's v brake. I told myself that my next bike will be disc, tubeless & full xc racing machine. I was just wondering what more experienced riders would suggest

mtbr member
    I would personally keep riding what you have for now, and save for a race bike (if that is what you have your mind set on).

However, if you are not enjoying your current bike that much, sell it, combine the money and buy what you can afford. Often a new bike will inject some fun and motivation (hey, it is a new bike after all). And keep saving for that race bike.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Keep it!! Save your money and get the bike that you want!