mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New USAC Rules! Really?

Here's link to a USAC press release concerning new rules for the 2010 season:

http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=4560

Does this really say that for the majority of XC racers that no feed and tech assistance zones will be allowed?

Photog Cyclist.
    I guess it does--harkens back to the good ol days of mountain biking!!!!
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Seems most of the new rules do more to take away from the race experience rather than enhance it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm confused by the no feed zones. Does that mean you can't have someone help hand you a new water bottle?

Our race series has always been no outside tech assistance--if someone helps you work on the bike in any way your are disqualified--but there is a feed zone and many riders have friends/family/teammates hand them bottles as they go through. Other riders without help set up tables in the feed zones, put the bottles on there, and just grab them on their own as they go by.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That won't last. Either people will fall out from heat stroke or a bunch of people are going to be disqualified. Whoever wrote those new rules needs to go down to the southeast in July and do a 30 mile xc race. Maybe no tech assistance as a bunch of series already do this but no feed zone is ridiculous.

Dirty South Underdog
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I was just about to say "USAC MTB Race Series, sponsored by Camelback"
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I use bottles because anything on my back makes my temp. feel like it is going through the roof.

Dirty South Underdog
    Guess you'd better start setting your trainer up in the sauna so you can get a jump on the heat acclimatization
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you read it, it only effects UCI championship classes at UCI championship events....and is a clarified rule.

The Pro's will have a designated tech and feed zone.
    All other classes won't have a tech zone...and can feed anywhere ( unless the promoter assigns a specific area)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    If you read it, it only effects UCI championship classes at UCI championship events....and is a clarified rule.

All other classes won't have a tech zone...and can feed anywhere ( unless the promoter assigns a specific area)
    Was also going to say this is how I would understand it. No outside support for tech what-so-ever, and typically at the UCI 1 races this past year, feed zones were the same (but lower cat's could take feeds anywhere on course). Pro must use the feed zone and tech only in the tech zone.

I haven't carefully read the new rules, this is just what I remember from this past summer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor

I read it but I guess I took it differently. What you said does make more sense. That does not bother me as most of the races I did had designated feedzones anyway.

Recovering
    You guys are completely misreading that. It doesn't change current rules regarding feed zones, which remain perfectly legal. It does bring the USAC into harmony with the UCI in regards to allowing for technical assistance zones in UCI inscripted races (the USAC rulebook has always banned technical assistance as long as it has existed, so this is a positive change if you'd like to see more assistance in racing).

Additionally, the rulebook as it was did not allow for any technical assistance zones at marathon, 6 hour or 24 hour races, which was out of character with currently accepted practice, so the board moved to change that as well. So in Marathon, 6 and 24 hour races, technical assistance zones will be legal (in all races- amateur and UCI)- that means you can have a mechanic work on your bike and replace parts, as long as you finish on the same frame and fork.

In XC races, technical assistance is still not permitted. There are strong feelings both ways- some for and some against. How do you all feel about current rules that ban technical assistance at amateur XC races?
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com