bikerbert

New Sport Racer "in a spot of bother"

This is post for people who have moved up a class and got stomped every time out. I moved up this year from Beginner (2006: two top tens, and four top fives) so I wouldn't sandbag this year.

In the process I have somehow had my butt taken out of my riding shorts and handed back to me in the first two races. DFL the first one, DNF the second one. Oh yeah, I got lapped too so I would have DFL'd again. That was rough.

I'd like to hear from people who have gone through this, how did you stay motivated? I AM NOT LEAVING SPORT, but there has got to be a way to stay excited to race. I'm going to do some road races/crits to help the fitness levels, but oy vay! the ego is on the rivot.

Thanks!

eBiker
    Sorry for your pain. I know it, that was me last year.

What can you do now to improve things? Immediately, nothing. In a few months you have a crack at some results. A solid training program is your best bet. Others have better expertise and can speak to mid-schedule training.

I was in a weekly race series last year with simiar DFL results. Because the races were weekly, I could not "train up"

This year however, I have maintained a very solid base through the winter, am training up better, and will have targeted equipment. I WILL have better results.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

It's evolution

Don't worry, you will get there. It's part and parcel of moving up a level. In the process of having your ass handed to you, you will learn how and where to concerve energy and with some more regular races under your belt, your fitness and speed should improve. Nobody starts at the top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Hang in there and have fun

It's tough moving up but it is progress even when it might not feel like it. I got beat up last year. Very humbling. Appreciate your competitors and learn from them hang for a while see your week points and train them. Then when you train find a way to measure yourself against yourself, on a local ride that you know well compare avg speed. What place you finish might not tell the whole story and can be misleading. For the most part my whole year of 06 was learning what I had to do. For me it was climbs and starts. So I read up a bit, focused on those areas and now I'm almost ready for the new year (still a month and a half away). Your results won't come overnight nothing worthwhile does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    It's tough moving up but it is progress even when it might not feel like it. I got beat up last year. Very humbling. Appreciate your competitors and learn from them hang for a while see your week points and train them. Then when you train find a way to measure yourself against yourself, on a local ride that you know well compare avg speed. What place you finish might not tell the whole story and can be misleading. For the most part my whole year of 06 was learning what I had to do. For me it was climbs and starts. So I read up a bit, focused on those areas and now I'm almost ready for the new year (still a month and a half away). Your results won't come overnight nothing worthwhile does.
    ditto. i got my ass handed to me in beginner. as the year progressed, i got worse and worse placings. so i trained the weaknesses. for this circuit here you need fast starts that last for a few miles. its very daunting to go all out from the start and bonk so i trained for that. every ride i went all out from the start and my body adapted. my climbs were weak as well so i made my hardtail a SS and attacked the longest toughest climbs here in az that i could find and that doubled my climbing speed as well as made me faster just rolling on the flats. base base base and build build build. this year im doing pretty good in sport. a second place standing (lost to my mind, thought i was like tenth) and a first place. and i still find that my weaknesses hinder me, cornering, passing, agressiveness, and my own mind. your mind is hard to overcome. positive affirmations work. very well. and remember that no matter how much the race sucks and how much it hurts. you will be stronger for it. dig deep and fight for what you want. if you want to win. get it and let nothing stop you. tell the excuses in your head to can it and train harder than ever before. when you feel like your gonna puke on the trail padal harder. and always remember just one more pedal stroke. you always have enough energy to do it once more, just add them together and you can overcome anything. turn pain into fun and learn to enjoy your new level of fitness that you didnt think you could ever achieve and rock the hell out of those pansies that keep kicking your butt this year. make their mouths drop as you pass them like they are standing still in next years series opener. fight for it and get it. only you can demotivate yourself, and only you can motivate yourself. if you want it bad enough, and are willing to take the pain you will do it......and read joe friels book

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    ditto. i got my ass handed to me in beginner. as the year progressed, i got worse and worse placings. so i trained the weaknesses. for this circuit here you need fast starts that last for a few miles. its very daunting to go all out from the start and bonk so i trained for that. every ride i went all out from the start and my body adapted. my climbs were weak as well so i made my hardtail a SS and attacked the longest toughest climbs here in az that i could find and that doubled my climbing speed as well as made me faster just rolling on the flats. base base base and build build build. this year im doing pretty good in sport. a second place standing (lost to my mind, thought i was like tenth) and a first place. and i still find that my weaknesses hinder me, cornering, passing, agressiveness, and my own mind. your mind is hard to overcome. positive affirmations work. very well. and remember that no matter how much the race sucks and how much it hurts. you will be stronger for it. dig deep and fight for what you want. if you want to win. get it and let nothing stop you. tell the excuses in your head to can it and train harder than ever before. when you feel like your gonna puke on the trail padal harder. and always remember just one more pedal stroke. you always have enough energy to do it once more, just add them together and you can overcome anything. turn pain into fun and learn to enjoy your new level of fitness that you didnt think you could ever achieve and rock the hell out of those pansies that keep kicking your butt this year. make their mouths drop as you pass them like they are standing still in next years series opener. fight for it and get it. only you can demotivate yourself, and only you can motivate yourself. if you want it bad enough, and are willing to take the pain you will do it......and read joe friels book
    AMEN!!

Want to vent?
    Sounds like you are wanting some instant results...

I think it is natural to get beat down when you upgrade. It just takes time. It took me 4 years to get the big results to move out of sport class.

Keep your chin up, and with training and staying positive, It will happen.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

bikerbert
    Thanks fellas!!! It is great to hear from other people who have been there and done that to hear that life will get better!

Shut up and ride
    to do better: train harder, eat better, increase your tech skills, suffer more