Thread: new racer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

new racer!

hey guys,

so i know its kind of the end of the season but im looking forward to next year and am kinda thinking of a new years resolution of doing like X amount of races or something. It would give me something to get in, and stay in shape for, as well as get me out riding more.

Ive never raced before, and really wouldn't be trying to do anything too competitive, but more for the fulfillment of doing it.

So, I have a few questions. Ive been looking for websites to search for races but have found nothing in my area. I would also post this in the Northeast forum, but it seems rather inactive. So, if anyone knows of any good resources to help me out that would be awesome.

Also if anyone had any input as to necessary upgrades for racing, or training techniques that would be awesome.

thanks for looking!

mtbr member
    Might help if you include which state you are in. I see by looking at your profile that you appear to be from New Hampshire. If that is the case then try this link. I just googled "New Hampshire Mountain Bike Racing" and this is what I came up with.

http://www.efta.com/

mtbr member
    Oops! Double post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yeah thats exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I figured next time im home from school ill swing by the lbs for some info too.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    The Root 66 Series has races in VT, NH, MA, and CT.
    It is an extremely well run series; check ou their message board.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thats good stuff ill favorite it for when race time comes. any good sites for tips on how to become a racer basics?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerocker1
    thats good stuff ill favorite it for when race time comes. any good sites for tips on how to become a racer basics?
    Buy a license, pay a race fee, show up, start race.

Bam. You're a bike racer.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but there is no formula for "becoming a bike racer". You either race, or you don't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Cb2

I'm going to get into the Rt66 next year. Never raced burt riding since 90.

I have a some more specific questions about your experience with rt 66.
    Is there a thread better suited for the rt 66 or I can use this one and some of questions may offer some insight to the first person on this post?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Cb2

double post...sorry

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Me

That's how I started out. One December, I decided I needed to commit to something and get into shape . I pre-paid for a full season of our local series. I think it was 9 races then. I started riding in the winter and came out swinging that Spring. I had only been on a MTB for a couple months, so I didn't really train as much as I just rode my bike as much as I could. Everything I needed to work on became very clear as the races began.

I don't know what your previous riding experience/volume has been. If it is very little, than just ride your bike! If you have been riding for a while, than try and pick up a training program.

Like you, I said that I didn't want to be competitive, and I was just doing it for fun...

I just finished my 4th year of insanity. In that time, I've owned a dozen bikes, raced for 4 teams, done around 50 XC races, 20 Short Tracks, 6 Enduros, 3 x 24 Hour races, 3 Road Races, and ridden enough miles to almost circle the globe....needless to say, it will likely become an obsession that will be an inseperable part of your life!

Good luck and have fun!
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Maybe the Root 66 message board would be a better place for specific questions. Or PM me and I'll be happy to answer what I can.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Thanks CB2 and prior message

I'm been told by friends that I should hold up pretty well... I ride every chance I get...Just came back from a short one taht is fast and conv. near my house.

I will PM you re soem more details. riding same ht since 98 and love it...some recent mods for race and still making adjustments after every ride.

I'm kind of hoping for the knows of the races...come direction for specific races to extent you know the particular courses. Most of my friends raced years ago and I'm finally getting around to it b/c i need the competition juices to flow once again (like the previous message). I will be in touch. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    used2bhard, thats kind of what im hoping for, i just feel like being in college is draining the life out of me class by class and need something to dedicate to. Did you find starting in the winter to be difficult? or is snow and weather no problem for you?

mtbr member
    You're on the right track by digging into the internet to learn about the races going on in your area. Simple searches will lead you to race reports and blogs written by folks that like to race. Those sites will then turn you on to other good races. First thing I'd do is start making a list of 2010 races that are within a day's drive(or anywhere in New England). Write down the date if it's available or write down last year's date(most races are about the same time each year) then watch for the 2010 dates to be released. Bigger events will open registration many months in advance(and sell out), so find something you're interested in and register. Nothing sparks motivation like being fully commited(like when someone already has your entry fees!).

You might consider picking a 24 hour race in July or August, getting 3 friends in on it, and entering as a 4 man team. Remember, you don't have to be an expert to go race and have a great time doing it. Plus, having a huge goal on the horizon gives you something to be excited about and train for. Right now on my desk I have a sheet going with 31 different races around Colorado on it. Trying to figure out the 2010 race season is good stuff. Good Luck and Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

great advice

I am going to work on the list and commit to some very early. I'm riding tomorrow again (after pealing potatoes at my church for thanksgiving luncheon) and ride the gym bike on other days using the hill climb menu only and I work the levels like gears. A friend of mine suggested the approach.

I'm vacation this week so trying to get out as much I can during the week.

Thanks for the planning tips. Quite frankly, I planned to race but yet haven't really examined teh New England schedule yet...I'll get on it for sure now.

I welcome the motivational training tips, idea etc.

Any bike tips you could pass on? HT vs FS? When to ride HT or FS? Should I ride the course lightly the day before as a beginner racer? (someone mentioned that racers will do this)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998 schwinn
    I am going to work on the list and commit to some very early. I'm riding tomorrow again (after pealing potatoes at my church for thanksgiving luncheon) and ride the gym bike on other days using the hill climb menu only and I work the levels like gears. A friend of mine suggested the approach.

I'm vacation this week so trying to get out as much I can during the week.

Thanks for the planning tips. Quite frankly, I planned to race but yet haven't really examined teh New England schedule yet...I'll get on it for sure now.

I welcome the motivational training tips, idea etc.

Any bike tips you could pass on? HT vs FS? When to ride HT or FS? Should I ride the course lightly the day before as a beginner racer? (someone mentioned that racers will do this)
    2009 was my first year of racing, I will share with you some of what I learned over those 7 races.

The first 20 minutes is brutal.
    Have a race plan and stick to it.
    Cat3/Beginner does not = new to riding bikes or slow.
    If you can ride the course the week before do it, also warm up a few times on the first couple miles of the course so you know the beginning very well.
    HT/ST is a personal choice, just make sure everything is perfect, shifting, breaking, check all your bolts, spokes ect. DNFing do to a preventable mechanical really sucks.
    Most of all have fun, you will either love it or not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

thanks erikKTM

I planned to ride today, but instead I spent 4 plus hours volunteering turkey dinner/lunch at my church for 80 plus people. A good reason to ride another day for sure.

training..work in progress:
    technically, I'm pretty good (remaining humble here even after 17 yrs riding), but conditioning always can be improved. I'm sure I will see some really terrific riders, better condituibed and who are much more dedicated to a training regimen....they will keep me humble for sure.

equipment:
    I love my HT 98 homegrown and I've been riding it for the last 11 yrs. I've ridden on more trails than I can remember and its held up pretty well (a lot AM stuff) However, since I made some recent mods, it seems to need more adjustments after every ride. Good news is that a friend of mine who knows more about bikes than anyone I know, said that he will go through it before every race. I will drop off it between races and train ride with my 2nd identical bass boat orange 98 HG unmodified (lb or so heavier) or my Salsa Cabellero.

Like you and teh others in these forums, I love to ride....I mean I think aboutiit and do it a scary amount of time. I need some competition now that I'm a little older or I will end up an out of shape working stiff. Also, my 4 yo and 6 yo boys think dad is a cool mountain biker and they said to me recently, after watching some you tube videos, "can we hand you water bottles?" That's what it is all about Thanks for the feed back and I apologize for this wordy response.

mtbr member
    The first 20 minutes is brutal.
    You get the feeling that if you don't stay ahead of the pack and with the rabbits, you can't compete. I was in 1st in a quite a few races at the 2/3 mark ... rioght before i blew up. My most accomplished finishes were after slow, non-brutal starts. Despite this, I never really learned a lesson from it. I always tried to get out into the lead pack early.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

i've been told

by some friends that I should ride they way I to do with them...I usually stay steady and behind and then i typically set the pace up front during the second leg of our rides where I usually seem unaffected by the first section's ride.

In most of my activities, running etc. I tend to take time getting started and get my lungs later. It might serve me well in a longer race, i suppose.

maybe the tortoise and can beat the hare?