mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New race steed opinions for my 13 year old Lance wannabe

So my son just turned 13, races velodrome and road and needs a new bike for MTB this spring. Going with a Chinese carbon frame, so my question is 26, 650b, or 29. He's 5'4 105 lbs and rides aggressively. He rode my 29er last season and wants something a little more tossable so I am thinking 650b. What is everyone's opinion. We race in Texas so it is rooty, rocky, with short climbs or sustained shallow angle climbing . . .

MattSavage
    650b all the way. Ive been racing one in SS for three years, its the way to go, especially for a lightweight junior that might not be able to quickly spin up a 29er wheel. Get the carbon tubeless rims from Lightweight-Bicycle to go with it!
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Surely it'd be better to buy a 26" since he's going to outgrow whatever you buy now? That is assuming similarly specced 26" bikes are cheaper than 650b/29" (that's how it is here anyway).

If you buy too large of a frame for him to "grow into" it'll just feel like crap - speaking from experience.

No Stranger to danger....
    Lance wanna be hey?

Lying, cheating, bullying and being a sociopath is a bit much for a 13 year old, First off id tell your boy to 'wanna be' somebody else..

But goodluck to your boy anyway....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

I'd rather be riding
    Let's not kill the kid's passion haha. I'd put him on 650b. Then next bike jump up to 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tone, yes Lance cheated, nuff said. He also has been a friend to my son, and on several occasions has gone out of his way to talk to and encourage him, and he has always been nice. He talked about training techniques and encouraged him to ride any kind of cycling race. My son was disappointed at the evidence, but remembers how nice the MAN was to him. He also knows that the drugs did not make the racer, they helped to make a great racer just a little better. Lance is a great cyclist with or without any performance enhancing drugs.
    Last edited by paulys_tx; 01-10-2013 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by paulys_tx View Post
    Lance is a great cyclist with our without any performance enhancing drugs.
    Fixed it.

MattSavage
    650b or 29er is definately the way to go if he's going to grow out of it, better resale value than 26 these days. Chinese carbon direct frames are also the way to go, since they're only around 400 bucks and the components can be swapped to another frame later.

FWIW, almost all my race bikes (road,cross, track, xc...) are cheap chinese direct frames. They're light, strong, stiff, and cheap. The best way to race if you're on an extreme budget but want performance.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Put my daughter on a 29er at the age of 14 and about 5'3". It was a little big at first (17" myka), but they grow so fast that by the end of the year, it was perfect. Don't be afraid to go a little larger (unless his parents genes indicate not much growth left).

As a side note, her riding improved greatly due to the larger wheels. She doesn't really have the strength to pop a wheelie and/or get the front wheel over obstables. As such, the 29er has really helped her roll over lots of stuff.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I say stay away from the big hoops. I'm mid 20's and I don't like spinning up the big hoops as compared to the little wheels. They take more energy when climbing or at least that's how I feel. I would put him on a 650b or 26 inch bike. I've adjusted to them, but put him on something that requires less strength when climbing is my unprofessional opinion.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.