mtbr member

New bike setup = sore quads

Doing some reading about this and was wondering if I need to change up some stuff with my bike. In particular changing from a straight seatpost to something with more offset to change my leg position while pedaling. Saddle is already already set as far back as it can go with this seatpost.

Previous bikes I have ridden have all had offset posts by default and any soreness due to hard rides was distributed more evenly throughout the various muscle groups IMO.

I have a offset post that I will switch with the current one and see if that feels better ....after my quads recover in another day or so.

In the meantime any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    How long have you been riding this set up and are you running platform or clipless pedals? Have you measured the old saddle position and compared it to the new? This sounds more like an exertion issue but if you think your position is wrong you might look into getting fit at a reliable shop or by a coach.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    First thing I would look at is seat height. Are you sure you have the right seat height on your new bike?
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Dont think this is a fit issue as far as the frame. Both bikes are nearly identical as far as sizing goes ...the geometery is a slight bit different, but IDK thats what you want with a new bike usually.

I'm approaching 300 miles on the new bike and I'm about done with shaking all the bugs out of the cockpit (bar width, stem height, saddle position(angle and height), brake lever position, ectera...) The only thing left to "fix" would be the the saddle in relation to the BB.

Even on moderate rides I'm left feeling a bit of a burn in the quads that wasn't present before. Information I've gleemed from other sites hint towards saddle position for/ aft of the BB can change how your muscles are worked during your pedal stroke (of course seat tube angle comes into play here as well)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Seat Height. For me (ymmv), my quads hurt when the seat is too low and my hams hurt when its too high. Tweak the seat or go for a fitting.

mtbr member
    Swapped the offending straight seatpost for an offset one. IMO makes a nice difference. I didn't go on an all-out 2.5 hour ride like what sent me home whining the other day, but legs don't feel as stressed and with my weight shifted back slightly the front is a bit easier to pull up on to loft over stuff.

mtbr member
    I think you are on track. I can tell I'm using different muscles just by sitting on different parts of the saddle. Further forward = more quads. Further back = more hamstrings.