rpalmer
    Aug 2008

New Bike Recommendations

So I'm finishing up an MBA program soon and my reward to myself is going to be a new bike. I'm not rich yet though, so I can only afford to pay $4k max. I've wanted to get back into racing but its been years and I need some advice on what kind of bike to get. Are people racing on all-mountains or XC bikes nowadays? Thanks for your thoughts.

Rice.
    people typically race XC on XC bikes, not all-mountain bikes. I personally prefer 29er hardtails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i race CAT1 with a few guys that race on Stumpjumper FSR which is considered "all mountain" i think. for 4k you could get yourself a pretty darn sweet racing HT though.

lots of folks are racing 29ers. there are tradeoffs, just like anything else, but it seems that the 29er trend is growing and not shrinking.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What kind of racing are you wanting to do?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Full suspension?

rpalmer
    Aug 2008
    XC racing. I was thinking a lightweight all mountain might be better than a pure XC bike because some of the racing i would do would involve some intense climbing and downhill. I live in mountainous terrain and practically all races here climb a couple thousand feet and the trail is rough sometimes. I'd rather stick with full suspension so I can have a good recreational ride too. Maybe when I am "rich" I'll get a 29er hardtail for racing specifically, but for now what full suspension bikes are good for racing? Something with lockout on the back, it sounds like?

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by rpalmer View Post
    XC racing. I was thinking a lightweight all mountain might be better than a pure XC bike because some of the racing i would do would involve some intense climbing and downhill. I live in mountainous terrain and practically all races here climb a couple thousand feet and the trail is rough sometimes. I'd rather stick with full suspension so I can have a good recreational ride too. Maybe when I am "rich" I'll get a 29er hardtail for racing specifically, but for now what full suspension bikes are good for racing? Something with lockout on the back, it sounds like?
    29 HT highly recommended... from Colorado... a place w the same race conditions you described. It's a great weekend bike too!

$.02 worth

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rpalmer View Post
    If you want full suspension I'd clearly be looking at a Specialized Epic or a Cannondale Scalpel. Suspension has come a long ways with all the money poured into research by the bike companies and motocross suspension engineers jumping for motorbikes to mountain bike companies.

An Epic, with its 4 inches of travel, can be ridden on really nasty terrain. I've ridden mine on the nasty stuff in Pisgah and our technical Florida trails.

I hear the Giant Anthem is an excellent bike as well.

Always pushing harder!!!
    I have a Pivot Mach 4 and she can handle everything that I throw at her and then some...I also race that same bike...all I do is swap wheels...Nowdays, 26 FS bikes with 4 in. of travel can handle a lot of different trails. 29 HT are also great for open and fast trails, but there are tradeoffs...

Research and ride different bikes...that's the best way to pickyour next bike...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I race on my Maverick Matic, although that model is no longer available. The lighter upgrade to it is the Durance. It had 5.5" travel front and rear, a rear suspension design that doesn't need a lockout (stand on the pedals and it just doesn't bob), and it can handle virtually any terrain. Not quite as light as an Epic, but mine tips the scales at 25.5 lbs and it doesn't have the lightest components out there.
    You should consider a Santa Cruz Blur as well. Similar bike and very popular. I like the Maverick design better; it has fewer pivot points to wear out and a very easy to tune/repair shock.

mtbr member
    29er hardtail with a set of nice race wheels. If I had 4k only (and I admit my bias!) I'd go with the Cannondale Falsh 29er 1 (alloy) with a set of Stan's Crest wheels, new tires and and upgrad the crank, FD & shifters to X9+. That should be well under budget so you could spring for some nice pedals & shoes ro maybe even a Garmin Edge 500.
    2014 Seven Ti geared bike (in the womb!)
    2012 Seven Ti SS
    2012 Seven Steel SS w/rigid fork

mtbr member
    I think you should check out the new rocky mountain MSL. I demoed one and freakin loved it. The thing climbs great and is a blast to descend on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The specialized epic comp 29er at $3100 MSRP would be good and leave some room for a nice light race wheelset.
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

If you want a more trail bike with a little more relaxed geom then the stumpjumper is good also...but not as fast or race geom like the epic. The stumpjumper FSR Elite 26" has the brain and same price as the epic comp.

However, I think you would really like and be happy with this Stumpjumper expert HT 29er at $3500. Or the Trek superfly is nice too.

I race a stumpjumper fsr S-Works, but my next bike will be a 29er epic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    X3 on the Epic. I am just getting back into riding after years off from racing. I bought the Epic Carbon Expert. It flat out rocks on the climbs and descents. It is a little over your budget but take a close look to see what the potential for a 29er race bike is.
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I currently run a GF HiFI PRO, comes in under budget and looking at upgrading to some race wheels next month. This is my one and only do everything. Love the 29 climbs and descends. Live in washington with big climbs and rocky descents no problem. Just need new wheels then hang on