Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

New Bike or New Coach?

I started seriously training for the first time in 10 years back in July (I'm now 7 weeks into Carmichael's TCTP). I use to ride 4 times a month max, now 4-5 times a week.

My goal was to start racing this fall and I have done so.

I started in Cat 3 and feel top 10 is an attainable goal for me in every race but I would like to get faster and move up to consistently finish in the top 10 in Cat 2. My current ride is a 26" 27lb FS. Nice ride but not too speedy going up hills. I'm down to about 9% BF, so I don't have a lot of weight to lose on the "motor" side of things.

My question is simple, should I spend my money on a new ride or on a coach? Which one in your experience tends to yield better race day results?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I ride a 27lb 26" FS and I don't have any issues with bike weight, it climbs and let's me run faster times on most stuff locally than my 25lb hardtail ever did. Get the coach.

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    I'd say it still somewhat depends on the particular FS bike.

27 lb Epic? Get the coach. Something with a ton of travel that gets totally incoherent every time you're out of the saddle? Maybe a racing bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah I agree with Andrew on that as well, mines a 27lb aluminum top fuel, for clarification. And most of my weights hiding in the drivetrain, cockpit, and low end spds.

mtbr member
    Get your soft tail down to 23 pounds like I did. Get a coach when you reach cat 1. I think you can get there on your own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Interesting points thus far, thank you.

I have an '09 Gary Fisher Hifi. I have upgraded some of the easier bits, tubeless, carbon bars etc. I'm to the point where I don't really want to throw a bunch of $ at it that would be better spent on a new steed.

I'm happy riding the Hifi and upgrading the motor, so coaching is where I am leaning. Just wondering if coaching is something that people consider more at the Pro/Cat1 level or if a newb like me can really benefit?

I rented a 29er HT for a weekend and I was definitely faster, especially up the hills, for the type of terrain that I ride. I guess that is "evidence" of improving by upgrading the bike.

If you had to choose one or the other, would $3,000 be better spent on a new ride or on a year's worth of coaching?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    $3000 would be better spent on a trip to hawaii. Coaching is IMHO a waste of money, sorry coaches, buy a book, ride smarter, rest and eat healthy.

New bikes are fun though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd spend the money on a bike. You can learn a great deal by reading this forum, picking up a couple of books, and learning on your own how your body reacts to training stress. Given that you're racing Cat 3 right now, you can make some giant gains without hiring a coach. I'm no expert on training, but I know that as you progress the gains become smaller and smaller. When you get to this point, a coach could be very helpful. Of course, if you have motivation problems, perhaps you should spend the money on a coach.

mtbr member
    To answer the question; I'd say coach. A new bike is just going to make your wallet lighter. When you are finishing top 3 to 5 consistently in CAT2 and need a little advantage then new bike time. The thing preventing you from being "speedy" up hill is the motor at this point. Just my opinion.
    But really, at this point maybe save money on the coach and just spend more time on the bike. Climb more hills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've got a coach and a nice race bike. Both are beneficial. I also race Pro and want to do World Cup's at some point.

Maybe follow the go to Hawaii suggestion to make your spouse (?) happy, and aside from that - read a lot on training/self coaching and RIDE LOTS. I think coaches are most beneficial when you've kind of gotten yourself as far as you can and aren't making gains anymore. Not saying there's anything wrong with Cat 3 Clyde's having coaches, but I'm not sure that it would be where I would put my money first if I was in that situation.

What will most get you out the door to ride and train? If a new bike (and if you're already pretty lean, losing 5-6lbs of bike will make a big difference) gets you excited to go train, ride, and race, then do it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A new bike is always nice but coaching is good too no matter what ability level. Self coaching books are nice but is there a club or trainer nearby that has training camps? A short course can really help with form as well as fit and give you an base that you can expand on with book training regiments.

mtbr member

Its the motor, not the bike. But be careful...

As someone who has hired a coach in the past (with very good results), I will tell you that a personal (one-on-one) coach would be a huge benefit. But if you are a Cat 3 right now riding (probably) 6-8 hrs per week, a coach may only raise your training hours by about 10% per year for steady improvement year over year. If you beg them, they may throw a huge workload at you, and you may be able to do everything they ask of you, but then you risk severe burnout, which is what happened to me.

A good approach may be to try to raise your weekly training volume to the 15hrs/wk range and then hire the coach the following year.

Caveat emptor... A coach will take the fun out of riding very quickly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Neither, I'd get a road bike if you don't own one or a power meter for the road bike. Do some reading about physiology and power, don't take everything too seriously and map out a plan that spans an entire year and try to stick with it, but measure yourself frequently and adjust as needed.

Ask other riders for their help and perspectives, most people are happy to help out. Ask the riders who are winning races for some hints about training.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden View Post
    Neither, I'd get a road bike if you don't own one or a power meter for the road bike. Do some reading about physiology and power, don't take everything too seriously and map out a plan that spans an entire year and try to stick with it, but measure yourself frequently and adjust as needed.

Ask other riders for their help and perspectives, most people are happy to help out. Ask the riders who are winning races for some hints about training.

I have the roadie and a power meter along with WKO+ for logging all of my data. I've read Training w/Power and a lot of other books on the subject but certainly feel like I am far from a master of the data and am intrigued by the many things a coach may see that I don't. That said, I'm sure that all of this has helped me be pretty competitive (in Cat 3) right out of the gate. Like many competitive people however, I want more.

Your advice is helpful and for the most part, I feel like I'm tracking along with what you recommend.

Fat-tired Roadie Moderator

I feel an inane little story coming on

The first time I entered a cross-country race, I "accidentally" entered Sport, and I won my age group. On a Specialized Hardrock.

There is some context to this, though. I'd been riding a lot, and did several cyclocross races the previous Fall. I did some speed work to prepare for those. I'm a pretty bad 'cross racer, but I have a good time. This particular race was on an island near me, and not part of either of the local series that people are more serious about. And I do have a decent suspension fork.

Anyway, I've decided I'd like to get myself into Expert MTB and Cat. 3 'cross before I throw a bunch of money at it.

Obviously a mileage may vary thing. I don't know how competitive everyone else's series are.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LATAH_M.E. View Post
    As someone who has hired a coach in the past (with very good results), I will tell you that a personal (one-on-one) coach would be a huge benefit. But if you are a Cat 3 right now riding (probably) 6-8 hrs per week, a coach may only raise your training hours by about 10% per year for steady improvement year over year. If you beg them, they may throw a huge workload at you, and you may be able to do everything they ask of you, but then you risk severe burnout, which is what happened to me.

A good approach may be to try to raise your weekly training volume to the 15hrs/wk range and then hire the coach the following year.

Interesting, thank you.

I wonder if the quality of ride would improve even if the quantity remains similar? Is that what you found to be the case?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The best thing I ever did to get faster was to buy a cheap single speed and ride the hell out of it. Leg strength was my biggest short coming. I used to never get out of the granny gear when I first started riding / racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by string_wise View Post
    I have the roadie and a power meter along with WKO+ for logging all of my data. I've read Training w/Power and a lot of other books on the subject but certainly feel like I am far from a master of the data and am intrigued by the many things a coach may see that I don't. That said, I'm sure that all of this has helped me be pretty competitive (in Cat 3) right out of the gate. Like many competitive people however, I want more.

Your advice is helpful and for the most part, I feel like I'm tracking along with what you recommend.
    I tried one of the coaching programs through carmichael, I can't say it was altogether effective. I was on the cheaper level plan and kept being assigned to new kids with a BA in exercise phys who sent me emails full of pat advice like "let pain be your guide" and "build you aerobic engine" and other similar crap, while sending me some machine generated training plan that required me to ride alone every day. The overarching stupidness of the whole thing caused me to return to my self coached ways.

If I were to hire a coach it would be someone who I respect as a racer who has been able to win at the high level and has been able to improve over many years. It would have to be someone who has put the time into learning and continues to be a lifelong learner. As I get older, i would want someone who understands that whole side of things. But i don't want a coach, you do. I think it will be money well spent given your motivation, just finding the right fit is the key, there are some real wanks out there who can barely get out of their own way on the bike who decide they can be a coach

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Buy the books, go on a two or three day xc training camp and also get the new bike.

By self coaching you will learn so much and over time understand what works for you and what doesn't. It also allows a lot more flexibility. Last year I was riding my granny gears all the time while racing, this year I'm rarely in them. Improving leg strength and the motor has really helped to increase my average speed.

I've also been renting some bikes (my current tank at 28 pounds) and I'm hoping to get something like the scott scale 29 pro for next year. At 23 pounds its hard to been for 2500 bucks.

Good luck and HAVE fun.

PS: I spoke with a couple of Carmichael coaches early this year and almost signed up for the basic program but I felt the difference in our ages which was almost 20 years wasn't a good thing.

mtbr member
    My current ride is a 26" 27lb FS. Nice ride but not too speedy going up hills.
    As a race setup try adding some more pressure to the rear shock of your current 130mm travel bike. As much as 30-40psi extra perhaps on courses where pedalling is important.

If you over pressure the rear shock significantly above the recommended pressure for your weight then it will make the rear suspension less active. With a less active shock the bike should pedal better with less bob, accelerate faster out of the saddle and be quicker uphill on easier terrain where traction isn't as vital. The trade off is that you'll lose some travel and comfort with the firm rear shock as the bike will feel more like a hardtail.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you are going to spend the dollars one way or another but a bike. Coaches have their usefulness (I am one myself) but for a new racer 90% of the time are more harmful then good.

Really if you are in your first couple of years riding or racing (Cat 2 or Cat 3) really you just need to ride more. Training is just about accumulating miles and skills. If I was to write you a program it would consist of four or five rides a week ranging from 1hr to 3hrs in length with no structured intensity. It would be pretty simple and you would question why you were paying $100/month for such a program.

My expereience is coaching is best for fairly advanced racers (Cat 1 perferably higher). Honestly as a coach I have had terrible sucess with new racers, the program I wrote were to complex and they didn't have fun and they didn't improve. I have had incredbile sucess with elite racers who have capacity and the drive to handle a training program.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LATAH_M.E. View Post

My experience here tends to be the opposite; I much prefer training to a program than not

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    My experience here tends to be the opposite; I much prefer training to a program than not
    Is this a hint that you are ready to be on a program again?
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    my advice is to buy some books on training and read them. if after reading them you think a new bike would help, do that. after you get to CAT1 and can't imagine going faster, get a coach. before that point you will be wasting money unless you REALLY need an email cheerleader (go dude, you got this!)
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've got a coach and a nice race bike. Both are beneficial. I also race Pro and want to do World Cup's at some point.

Maybe follow the go to Hawaii suggestion to make your spouse (?) happy, and aside from that - read a lot on training/self coaching and RIDE LOTS. I think coaches are most beneficial when you've kind of gotten yourself as far as you can and aren't making gains anymore. Not saying there's anything wrong with Cat 3 Clyde's having coaches, but I'm not sure that it would be where I would put my money first if I was in that situation.

What will most get you out the door to ride and train? If a new bike (and if you're already pretty lean, losing 5-6lbs of bike will make a big difference) gets you excited to go train, ride, and race, then do it!
    That is what I'd recommend. Most of us amateurs can dramatically improve by reading the training resources out there so that we train smarter. Educate yourself on exercise physiology and training and you can put together a quality plan without being an expert or certified coach.

Now when you've reached the point where the gains are not coming easily anymore, then a good coach becomes much more valuable. They will have worked with hundreds if not thousands of athletes and will have lots of experience in taking people to the next level.

So I'd get the race bike for now plus a few books. Coaching later.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Here's what I think:
    Buy a cheap singlespeed. It will make you stronger, and be more fun.

mtbr member

quality/quantity

Interesting, thank you.

I wonder if the quality of ride would improve even if the quantity remains similar? Is that what you found to be the case?
    I believe that quantity is very important when you are starting out. After a few years, your ride intensity (quality) will go up, especially if you do end up hiring a coach. If you are able to consistantly commit to a 15+ hr/wk schedule and then add structure and intensity in the next few years, you'd likely be doing very good in the races that you enter.

One of the best reasons to hire a coach is that they will have you work on your weaknesses (sprints/power, long intervals, endurance, skills, etc). But keep in mind that when you are starting out, all of these things could be weaknesses.

mtbr member

I will clarify...

I love feeling of winning and standing on the podium, and I did much more of it when I was being coached.

Being coached took the fun out of mountain biking, but made racing very fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wanted to mention something else, one of the things that really helped me over the hump, especially in spring racing was using an ergo trainer. The tacx flow is pretty affordable and the saris powerbeam is very nice. What makes it worthwhile is the "set and forget" nature of the intervals, you either do the desired wattage and duration or you fail, you know in a hurry if you are not having a good day. The computrainer is nice, but kind of overpriced and obsolete.

So, given your use of the PT, what do you feel you need to work on?

I'll add to my own post--I was stuck home today so did my workout on the ergo. I was able to compare my effort with the same workout on the road, using heartrate. I like that the ergo can just set a steady load on my body for the whole interval and not have the terrain or traffic mess me up. It's taxing on the brain, but I did more quality in 75 mins than I did in 2 hours outside, plus I have a yardstick to try and improve on next time.
    Last edited by jroden; 09-01-2011 at 09:23 AM.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Here's what I think:
    Buy a cheap singlespeed. It will make you stronger, and be more fun.
    I think I am getting the SS itch. What "cheap" one would you recommend?
    Get it unlocked.

Ride, Sleep, Work
    I would get a coach. You will get more for your money than you would spending your $ on bike upgrades. I dropped alot of $ on upgrades adn was still getting killed in CAT2 about 7 years ago until I realized the guys I was racing with used coaches. I got a coach and moved from mid pack CAT2 to top 1/3 of the pack CAT1.

Look @ zoefitness.com she knows her stuff and really works with the amount of time you have to work with.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll add to my own post--I was stuck home today so did my workout on the ergo. I was able to compare my effort with the same workout on the road, using heartrate. I like that the ergo can just set a steady load on my body for the whole interval and not have the terrain or traffic mess me up. It's taxing on the brain, but I did more quality in 75 mins than I did in 2 hours outside, plus I have a yardstick to try and improve on next time.

Not trying to steal the thread .... Can you pretty well (or well enough) match your wattage to your heart rate on the trainer and then use the HRM on the road? You probably have enough experience with perceived exertion to know if the HRM data is correlating as well with the wattage when outdoors as it did indoors.

Larry

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I wanted to mention something else, one of the things that really helped me over the hump, especially in spring racing was using an ergo trainer. The tacx flow is pretty affordable and the saris powerbeam is very nice. What makes it worthwhile is the "set and forget" nature of the intervals, you either do the desired wattage and duration or you fail, you know in a hurry if you are not having a good day. The computrainer is nice, but kind of overpriced and obsolete.

So, given your use of the PT, what do you feel you need to work on?

What I need to work on ...

I would say explosive power. The 750-1000+ watt bursts that it takes to get over the highly technical sections that I ride with my group rides. I can handle the 2+ hours we go, the long steady climbs, the downhill techy sections, but it's those short sprinter like repeated bursts that seem to beat the hell out of me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    my advice is to buy some books on training and read them. if after reading them you think a new bike would help, do that. after you get to CAT1 and can't imagine going faster, get a coach. before that point you will be wasting money unless you REALLY need an email cheerleader (go dude, you got this!)

So maybe I can slip you $5 and you can email me "dude, you got this!" once a month and I'll buy the bike instead?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    I think I am getting the SS itch. What "cheap" one would you recommend?
    "Cheap" is relative. All depends on ones budget, and preferences.
    My first SS was a geared bike I converted...then I bought a used 29'er...then I built up race wheels...then I bought another frame...

But really my point was you can get a great interval type workout by just riding a singlespeed on your regular trails, and the price of admission can be as cheap as a conversion kit (if you have an old bike lying around).

...and then you can go to Hawaii with the savings...or send me for giving such great advice.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    This works for me. Even a new seat post collar can motivate me.
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    This works for me. Even a new seat post collar can motivate me.
    Lately I've just been thinking about how much every cross race is going to hurt

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am very surprised at the number of people suggesting the coaching option...

1. I would suggest not having a coach just yet, ride for fun, do your own research (online, books, talking to peeps). See how the season goes, re-evaluate next season.

2. Your bike is not heavy. Period. But if you want a new bike, i cannot blame you, new bikes are way fun! If you can support buying an even nicer bike, go for it.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    "Cheap" is relative. All depends on ones budget, and preferences.
    My first SS was a geared bike I converted...then I bought a used 29'er...then I built up race wheels...then I bought another frame...

But really my point was you can get a great interval type workout by just riding a singlespeed on your regular trails, and the price of admission can be as cheap as a conversion kit (if you have an old bike lying around).

...and then you can go to Hawaii with the savings...or send me for giving such great advice.
    I just read your blog post from 8/30. I did the SAME thing on 8/31 from an Irene branch and trashed a derailleur, bent the hanger a few spokes.

After I get my bike fixed I might decide to hold off on the new SS...
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lgh View Post
    Not trying to steal the thread .... Can you pretty well (or well enough) match your wattage to your heart rate on the trainer and then use the HRM on the road? You probably have enough experience with perceived exertion to know if the HRM data is correlating as well with the wattage when outdoors as it did indoors.

Larry
    Not really, but I think it is some physical and mental weakness on my part. I did intervals in slope mode first, where the harder you pedal the harder it gets, then did the last in ergo mode at a set wattage. I found the last gave me a higher HR in part because I could not good off after 3 mins and take a little mini rest like I do on the road.

What is nice though is the ability to control rest better. I use hills outside to give me some load, so yesterday i did 5 mins v02 w/ full recovery, so 5 mins up the hill, then about 2 coasting down, then noodle around for 3 more, which was fine. But my other workout is 5 hard then just 1 minute rest, then 5 more hard. That translates really nice on a trainer, because you can't get back down the hill in 1 minute.

I found i need to be very careful about getting enough airflow and water or my heartrate drifts up 10 beats after 40 minutes when I do tempo indoors due to dehydration. I bought a stanley ventilator fan that sits on the floor, it's just right and it has some outlets built into it, walmart sells them i think

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What I need to work on ...

I would say explosive power. The 750-1000+ watt bursts that it takes to get over the highly technical sections that I ride with my group rides. I can handle the 2+ hours we go, the long steady climbs, the downhill techy sections, but it's those short sprinter like repeated bursts that seem to beat the hell out of me.
    You have a powermeter, I like to train those on a rolling road, where I set out to do maybe a dozen efforts from 20-40 seconds duration up small hills. Really make the bike creak and moan try to keep it over 1000w as long as possible then have a full recovery. I also do it off road on the cross bike, I use a small ski hill and work from 25-90 seconds.

we make it kind of a competition between our little group, maintain 1000 plus for over 30 secs and you get a set of golden wings. It's hard for me at least.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not really, but I think it is some physical and mental weakness on my part. I did intervals in slope mode first, where the harder you pedal the harder it gets, then did the last in ergo mode at a set wattage. I found the last gave me a higher HR in part because I could not good off after 3 mins and take a little mini rest like I do on the road.

What is nice though is the ability to control rest better. I use hills outside to give me some load, so yesterday i did 5 mins v02 w/ full recovery, so 5 mins up the hill, then about 2 coasting down, then noodle around for 3 more, which was fine. But my other workout is 5 hard then just 1 minute rest, then 5 more hard. That translates really nice on a trainer, because you can't get back down the hill in 1 minute.

I found i need to be very careful about getting enough airflow and water or my heartrate drifts up 10 beats after 40 minutes when I do tempo indoors due to dehydration. I bought a stanley ventilator fan that sits on the floor, it's just right and it has some outlets built into it, walmart sells them i think
    Thanks. I've been using HRM for a long time, before they were wireless. You discover their utility and limitations.
    1. Trainer workouts at a given HR are harder than on the road. No mini-rests!
    2. The HRM are really good at gauging recovery from short intervals and maintaining steady-state efforts like for intervals that are greater than 1 minute in length.
    3. Improvements in recovery are a very good measure of progress with a given type of interval.
    4. Accounting for the lag in HR during the start of an interval is really not that big of a deal for longer intervals. You figure out how to even out the effort.
    5. Intervals on the orderof 30 seconds are all out. You don't need any type of monitor for that. Just go all out. .

A fan indoors is really important. As one of my mentors put it, "The purpose is to do work, not to sweat." He used a furnace fan!

The PM sounds uselful to me because they provide important data but they are $$$$! In addition, the posted plots of power versus time look extremely noisy to me and I question their utility while on the bike. I get the impression they are best for post-ride analysis and for on-line coaching. It would be nice to rent one, correlate HR and power early in the season to get your training parameters, and take it from there.

(This is the sort of stuff that happens when you self-coach.)

Larry

mtbr member
    The PM sounds uselful to me because they provide important data but they are $$$$! In addition, the posted plots of power versus time look extremely noisy to me and I question their utility while on the bike. I get the impression they are best for post-ride analysis and for on-line coaching. It would be nice to rent one, correlate HR and power early in the season to get your training parameters, and take it from there.
    The important thing to remember is that there isn't a clear linear correlation between heart rate and cycling power output. Heart rate is simply how fast your heart is beating which is affected by lots of different factors. You can roughly calibrate power with perceived exertion (how hard you're pushing on the pedals) but not with heart rate. If your heart rate is 180bpm for example then that doesn't mean you're always producing the same wattage whenever your heart rate is at 180bpm.

The X-Y Scatter Graph of a two hour ride below shows this quite clearly. The X Axis of the graph is Power Output whilst the Y Axis is Heart Rate. The blue dot selection is for a climb where I was trying hard. If there was a clear relationship between heart rate and cycling power output then you'd expect a trend to be visible in this graph, rather than the wide variation visible here. On the climb my power output varied by 100 watts between roughly 170 watts and 370 watts at the same heart rate of 180bpm.

Whilst out riding the power output displayed on the head unit is smoothed. It isn't quite as jumpy as it appears on an unsmoothed power graph. It does still jump around quite a bit though which takes a few rides to get used to. The trick is to look for the repetitive pattern in the power numbers onscreen. You have to ignore the obviously junk numbers (excessively high or excessively low power outputs) and the remaining power outputs are what you guide your pacing on.

Pictured below: X-Y Scatter Graph of Power output against Heart Rate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bike or New Coach?-power_heart_rate_xy_graph.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 09-04-2011 at 10:54 AM.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Smile

"The important thing to remember is that there isn't a clear linear correlation between heart rate and cycling power output. Heart rate is simply how fast your heart is beating which is affected by lots of different factors. You can roughly calibrate power with perceived exertion (how hard you're pushing on the pedals) but not with heart rate. If your heart rate is 180bpm for example then that doesn't mean you're always producing the same wattage whenever your heart rate is at 180bpm."

Sort of. Try doing HR-based intervals on a trainer and then the same interval on the road. Big difference (based on PE). Also, try doing HR-based intervals when you haven't recovered from stuff earlier in the week or are heated up/dehydrated. HR is all over the place. Try using it during a short race. Pretty useless (for me) since I'm hormone driven out of the blocks. It is good for a long tt. But most people with a history of using HRM figure this stuff out easy enough. You get real good at correlating HR with wha't going on in your body. My pursuit intervals - 3on, 1off - and power intervals - 1 and 1 - are extremely consistent. I can usually predict my HR within 5 bpm but I have been doing this for decades. To be completely honest, I can do the intervals without a HRM and am not sure a PM would change much. "Go at the intensity that makes the interval difficult to complete." The HRM monitor mostly keeps me honest at those time when I start day dreaming at 90 seconds.

When the PM drop below $400 I'm sure my rationalizing will change

Larry

mtbr member
    Sort of. Try doing HR-based intervals on a trainer and then the same interval on the road. Big difference (based on PE). Also, try doing HR-based intervals when you haven't recovered from stuff earlier in the week or are heated up/dehydrated. HR is all over the place. Try using it during a short race. Pretty useless (for me) since I'm hormone driven out of the blocks. It is good for a long tt. But most people with a history of using HRM figure this stuff out easy enough. You get real good at correlating HR with what's going on in your body.
    To be completely honest, I can do the intervals without a HRM and am not sure a PM would change much. "Go at the intensity that makes the interval difficult to complete."
    I agree that heart rate is often all over the place. After a few consecutive weeks riding my heart rate decouples from my perceived exertion. Once that happens the heart rate monitor isn't even worth looking at. I'll be going flat out on the bike with the heart rate monitor saying that I'm out for a recovery ride.

This is a chart from earlier in the year showing how unreliable a heart rate monitor can be. I was still sustaining the intensity and power output in week 5 despite the low heart rate saying it was light intensity work.

PowerTap Disc

A new power meter in itself isn't going to make you faster. They add weight to the bike so might actually slow you down a little. The advantage is that it provides "apples to apples" data allowing an objective evaluation of how you respond to training over time. That's what I find particularly interesting. My best 20 minute power output in early January 2011 for example was only 200 watts (at an average heart rate of 171bpm) but by June 2011 my best 20 minute power output was up to 256 watts (at an average heart rate of 174bpm). If you're working with a coach then it allows them to see exactly what you were doing in a particular session also, making it easier to decide new training plans in future.

To answer the original question: A new bike plus some training books would probably be my choice. See how you're going before spending any serious money on coaching. You could always have a few initial sessions with a coach in order to get a starting point without having to pay for a full seasons coaching. If you decide to do that then I'd go for something like the Torq initial package where you get some fitness testing included. That's cheap enough that it would still allow you to buy a new bike at the same time.

TORQ UK Fitness Consultancy : How It Works

Racing clubs sometimes have a coach who will provide free advice to members also. It might be worth asking around your local clubs to see if they offer anything similar.
    Last edited by WR304; 09-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am certainly not at the levels of some of those offering advice here, but I will throw my two cents in anyway.

First, I would ride more before you do anything. Save up the cash and better your skills and time on bike. If you feel you are not getting faster, consider what is slowing you down. I have seen in most new riders it is the skills that are not developing. Go to a skills clinic or find faster people to ride with - join a club if you have no fast buddies. Faster people that know you want constructive criticism make you faster with wise advice. I thought I had the downhill down. One buddy mentioned I needed to break further ahead into corners. I though I was but tried it on a corner a few times he noticed I wasn't. He was right and my skills improved. That is just one example. If skills improve but fitness does not, read to educate yourself on improving fitness levels. No coach.

Second, once you are getting better from above look to getting a new bike. New bikes make things fun and charge you up again. Plus a few bucks into a better machine geared toward the type of racing you will focus on really helps.

Third, once you are kicking butt in cat2 and ready for the big jump, do it and see how things go. If you are doing well in races then it is usually there you reach the level you need a coach at. I dont know a single cat1 top level guy or above that has not had or is using a coach. Good ones make you faster, bad ones slow you down and take the fun out of training - so ask around.

After that it is all genetics my friend

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=WR304;8413903]This is a chart from earlier in the year showing how unreliable a heart rate monitor can be. I was still sustaining the intensity and power output in week 5 despite the low heart rate saying it was light intensity work. QUOTE]

As fitness improves, it gets harder to get your heart rate up and easier to get it down. That's normal and should be anticipated. If it goes the other way, you are having problems, perhaps overtraining. It is expected that, for a given HR, your power will increase through time. (To my eye, yours was quite an improvement. Nice!) When it happens, time to bump up the wattage targets which I suspect is what you did. Using a HRM, you would be doing this automatically. On your graph, your wattage would always be increasing as you kept using your same HR target. Adjusting on the fly, so to speak. Whether or not this is the better way to train is up for grabs. I see how it is useful to correlate both sets of data.

OP - You can learn quite a bit by self-coaching. It takes some reading and a background in science helps. Some of us find it inherently interesting which is important since most of us won't be rewarded with a national title any time soon. The problem for me is that my curiosity seems to leading me to yet another bike related expense - powertap or cycleops upgrade? The baby's shoes will have to wait.

Larry

mtbr member
    As fitness improves, it gets harder to get your heart rate up and easier to get it down. That's normal and should be anticipated. If it goes the other way, you are having problems, perhaps overtraining. It is expected that, for a given HR, your power will increase through time
    My drop in heart rate whilst riding over several consecutive weeks is largely fatigue related, rather than due to an increase in fitness. In my case the heart rate response generally returns to the higher level again after a rest week. I'd class it as over reaching rather than overtraining (the difference being that over reaching is deliberate whilst overtraining is pushing too hard without realising it).

The problem with this heart rate inconsistency, especially on longer rides, is that if your heart rate response varies by as much as 15-20bpm between weeks (for the same effort on similar rides) then it's hard to use for pacing or comparison. It can tell you if you're tired but not how hard you were trying.

I don't have any power data for riding on a turbo trainer (I have an old road bike setup on the turbo instead of using the mountain bike) but this blog post and graph gives an idea of what power and heart rate look like for 20 minute turbo trainer intervals, depending upon whether you pace them based on power or heart rate. It's worth a look through.

anordinarycyclist » Blog Archive » Power vs Heart Rate Metering

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    The important thing to remember is that there isn't a clear linear correlation between heart rate and cycling power output. Heart rate is simply how fast your heart is beating which is affected by lots of different factors. You can roughly calibrate power with perceived exertion (how hard you're pushing on the pedals) but not with heart rate. If your heart rate is 180bpm for example then that doesn't mean you're always producing the same wattage whenever your heart rate is at 180bpm.

The X-Y Scatter Graph of a two hour ride below shows this quite clearly. The X Axis of the graph is Power Output whilst the Y Axis is Heart Rate. The blue dot selection is for a climb where I was trying hard. If there was a clear relationship between heart rate and cycling power output then you'd expect a trend to be visible in this graph, rather than the wide variation visible here. On the climb my power output varied by 100 watts between roughly 170 watts and 370 watts at the same heart rate of 180bpm.

Whilst out riding the power output displayed on the head unit is smoothed. It isn't quite as jumpy as it appears on an unsmoothed power graph. It does still jump around quite a bit though which takes a few rides to get used to. The trick is to look for the repetitive pattern in the power numbers onscreen. You have to ignore the obviously junk numbers (excessively high or excessively low power outputs) and the remaining power outputs are what you guide your pacing on.

Pictured below: X-Y Scatter Graph of Power output against Heart Rate
    I can't read the numbers on the left axis but it would be interesting to see the same data with a more narrow scale, like make the intersect 120 or so. From the looks of it the relationship is not very linear, but I suspect it would look different with the scale adjusted

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    My drop in heart rate whilst riding over several consecutive weeks is largely fatigue related, rather than due to an increase in fitness. In my case the heart rate response generally returns to the higher level again after a rest week. I'd class it as over reaching rather than overtraining (the difference being that over reaching is deliberate whilst overtraining is pushing too hard without realising it).

The problem with this heart rate inconsistency, especially on longer rides, is that if your heart rate response varies by as much as 15-20bpm between weeks (for the same effort on similar rides) then it's hard to use for pacing or comparison. It can tell you if you're tired but not how hard you were trying.

I don't have any power data for riding on a turbo trainer (I have an old road bike setup on the turbo instead of using the mountain bike) but this blog post and graph gives an idea of what power and heart rate look like for 20 minute turbo trainer intervals, depending upon whether you pace them based on power or heart rate. It's worth a look through.

anordinarycyclist » Blog Archive » Power vs Heart Rate Metering

Intersting stuff. From the point of view of physiology, steady state HR dropping while maintaining pat power is expected as conditioning improves because oxygen consumption is becoming more efficient and/or cardiac stroke volume (volume pumped per beat) is increasing. i.e. physiologic adaptations are occurring. It should not just drop without the adaptation occurring if the initial testing for pat was accurate.

Consistent with this, Friel apparently says HR and power should track pretty well. But, based on what most people seem to be reporting, that doesn't seem to be the case. So much for theory. I should take a look at Friel's book myself.

I've also pretty much decided to get one of them power meter things. I'm starting to wake up at night thinking about this stuff. That's a sign from God. Never good to ignore signs from God.

Larry
    Last edited by lgh; 09-06-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast