mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Need XC Bike Advie

Hi, I am 14 and weigh 110lbs and am 5'3. I have a 2005 Trek 4100 right now and raced it at the Palos Meltdown and got first place. I am stepping it up and racing the W.O.R.S series next season and need a new bike. I would like a Scott, Specialized, GT, or Cannondale. Their are so many bikes I don't know where to start. I think I want to go hard tail. I want a 29er but it is not necessary. I would really like Fox Evolution CTD Air shock with three modes but any fox shock will work. and I want shimmano xt or deore components along with disc brakes. My price range is 1400-1800. Any suggestions will help me. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    its tough to give advice in bike purchases without knowing someone...to start, try to demo as many bikes as possible, and find the one that seems to "feel" right.

Its always been important to me to try to support local business, especially ones who have supported me.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Personally, I wouldn't buy anything new at age 14, since the bike you buy now will probably will be the wrong size in less than a year - unless you are done growing now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Being knowledgeable and buying used it a great way to go, especially if you're still growing (like stated above), it will likely be a one or maybe a two year bike? If you buy smart used, especially in the off season (fall/winter) you can resell next year and likely not lose any money on the deal if you resell within a couple of years.
    Consider Kona as well, they make some great race-ready affordable aluminum hardtails.
    Spend some time on ebay seeing what good race-quality hardtails go for used. If you buy on ebay or not, it will make you aware of what used prices to expect. I bought a used Kona Kula Deluxe 2-9 over the winter on ebay, it was nearly race ready once I assembled it (just needed a seat, brake pads and a new tire), I think I could still get 100% of my money out of it today. It has a lot of xtr, fox f32 fork, a nice stans/xt wheelset, and I paid less than $1,000 shipped.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Like others said, buying used is a great way to get a fantastic bike a lot lower than the original sticker price.

Some things you may want to think about.

I would recommend a full suspension 26er with your weight. 29er wheels are heavier and so are the tires. The rotating weight may bog you down more going up hills, especially at your light weight. (Disclaimer: I own a 29er and the stock wheels bogged me down). Light options can be found, but they're usually a wheelset upgrade and those are expensive or expensive thin tires.

If you go used, you can find a great bike with that budget. I bought a used Giant Anthem two years ago with your budget. I hopped on it, raced, and I couldn't have been happier. I could've bought nicer wheels with your budget too!

To summarize: I don't think you can go wrong with a used and efficient full suspension 26 inch bike. It's good in the rough, a great suspension will help you if it's smooth (it won't bob), and you won't tire out as easily since you're not getting beat up on a hardtail. That's what I would buy if I were in your shoes with what I know now.

You can easily get a fox fork, fox rp23, xt or xtr. Here's an example of what can be found used in your price range.

A scott spark xtr, fox, and carbon. I know you won't ride XL, but I'm just saying you can buy a fantastic bike used for your budget. Just educate yourself and make an informed decision. If you use ebay check the seller's rating. Don't buy it from a brand new seller.
    2011 Scott Spark 10 Full Carbon 26" All XTR Set Up Extra Large Frame XL | eBay
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You're better off going to your LBS. They'll know you, the trails where you live, and if you do group rides with them they'll learn your riding style. This is a lot more useful in bike shopping than anonymous stranger advice over the internet. Over time you'll develop a rapport with them which will go a long way (i.e. discounts) over time.